Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How To Get A Child To Stop Saying Shut Up!
iheartkids 06:35 AM 12-21-2011
I am at my wits end here. She has been coming here for 6 months and she has been consistently saying it since the beginning. It seriously was the first thing I could understand her saying. It started saying it to my dog when he would bark and I would just correct her "no you don't say that but you can say be quiet, please". Her dad would hear her say it when he would pick he up and I would really express my correction then hoping he would pick up on it too (I assumes she learned it from them telling their dog that). Well it's been consistent if not getting worse and she now says it to the other kids ALL THE TIME. So I'm past the correction theory (because now she says it very clear and mean) so I make her sit out eveytime she says it. And there are some mornings she is in and out of the "reflection spot". I just don't know how to get this taken care of before all the othe newly talking kids start saying it!
Heidi 10:56 AM 12-21-2011
This morning my 3yo dcg was trying to rile me with "Barbie Poop" ha ha ha over and over. I just looked at her and said "whaaaattt, marble doop? that doesnt make sense!" "No", she corrected me, "Barbie Poop, ha ha". "Oh....garble goop!" That went on for a few more rounds until she realized I wasn't going to react to her taunt, and then we changed the subject.

I just wondering if you think it would work to try something similar. Every time she says "shut up", find another silly ryhme?

Or, you can find a different work she IS allowed to use (much like saying Darn or Fudge in place of less polite words). Maybe she can even help make up the word? She can INVENT a new word!
daycare 11:00 AM 12-21-2011
ignore it.... tell the other kids how its not nice and a smart people dont talk like that so please dont say the very mean words ____________-is saying and leave it at that.. dont mention it again

they are looking for attention when they say it and they are looking for your reaction
Country Kids 01:00 PM 12-21-2011
I have one here that say shup for shut up. The thing is is this child doesn't seem to get it when they are in trouble. Starting to wonder if there isn't something else going on with them. I have said over and over not to say that and they still do. 2.5 years old but seems much younger at times.

Has started telling the kids this when they are doing something the child doesn't like. So irratating to me. Was nice when they did it today in front of the food program gal. I wanted to die!
sahm2three 01:39 PM 12-21-2011
Originally Posted by iheartkids:
I am at my wits end here. She has been coming here for 6 months and she has been consistently saying it since the beginning. It seriously was the first thing I could understand her saying. It started saying it to my dog when he would bark and I would just correct her "no you don't say that but you can say be quiet, please". Her dad would hear her say it when he would pick he up and I would really express my correction then hoping he would pick up on it too (I assumes she learned it from them telling their dog that). Well it's been consistent if not getting worse and she now says it to the other kids ALL THE TIME. So I'm past the correction theory (because now she says it very clear and mean) so I make her sit out eveytime she says it. And there are some mornings she is in and out of the "reflection spot". I just don't know how to get this taken care of before all the othe newly talking kids start saying it!
I am with you. I have a sibling set that constantly tell everyone to shutup and call them stupid. They were warned over and over and over today and finally took away their privilege of decorating cookies. What is wrong with kids these days?! My youngest is 5, so it has been a couple years since I had a toddler, but NONE of my kids would have ever THOUGHT to use language like that! To this day, my 10 year old calls "stupid" the "s" word! Sad! No advice, I am right there with you!
Tags:inappropriate talk
Reply Up