Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How To Handle Mouthing Toddler
Mom2Two 10:30 AM 07-19-2018
How do you handle a super-oral comfort toddler (i.e. constant mouthing of toys)? I had an interview with the family of an 11 mth old who was on her paci the whole time, except when she took it out of her mouth so that she could mouth my toys. 😯 When possible, I try to save pacis for nap time. I don't really try to change the parents on what they do at home, but I don't want pacis dragged around here. On the other hand, I don't want her mouthing all my toys. This is the only issue stopping me from enrolling this family. Any suggestions? wwyd?
Baby Beluga 10:42 AM 07-19-2018
Mouthing everything is pretty normal until around 18 months. I would just give the toddler a spot with specific things she can mouth.
Ac114 10:51 AM 07-19-2018
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
How do you handle a super-oral comfort toddler (i.e. constant mouthing of toys)? I had an interview with the family of an 11 mth old who was on her paci the whole time, except when she took it out of her mouth so that she could mouth my toys. 😯 When possible, I try to save pacis for nap time. I don't really try to change the parents on what they do at home, but I don't want pacis dragged around here. On the other hand, I don't want her mouthing all my toys. This is the only issue stopping me from enrolling this family. Any suggestions? wwyd?
11 months old put everything in their mouth, it’s devekopmentally appropriate until they near the age of 2. You can provide her toys only she can play with.

This is also why children in my care are not allowed to play with my 11 months old toys. Period. I don’t want their snot filled hands touching her toys that go in her mouth.
daycarediva 11:19 AM 07-19-2018
Originally Posted by Ac114:
11 months old put everything in their mouth, it’s devekopmentally appropriate until they near the age of 2. You can provide her toys only she can play with.

This is also why children in my care are not allowed to play with my 11 months old toys. Period. I don’t want their snot filled hands touching her toys that go in her mouth.

I have 'toddler toys' and 'big kid toys'.

Big kids do not touch toddler toys and vice versa.

With my one very sensory seeking/oral PRESCHOOLER, I bought her a chewelry necklace and redirect her to that OVER AND OVER again until she now does it on her own.
Jo123ABC 11:24 AM 07-19-2018
I struggle with the mouthing of toys too. It bothers me! I try to keep up with washing whatever is mouthed daily and I keep my older kids on the ball helping me too. They will put toys they know have "spit on them" next to the sink for me. How do providers separate older infants from the group in order to contain the mouthed toys? I have a huge playpen for younger infants but the older ones play with the 2+ aged kids. As for pacifiers... No thanks! Only for nap and even then I will try weaning from it ASAP.
Indoorvoice 01:16 PM 07-20-2018
Mouthing toys really bugs me even though I know it's normal and for some kids it is a NEED. I bought lots of chewlery and now have a chewing/thumb sucking spot. If I see someone mouthing, I take the toy away and put it aside to be washed then immediately hand them the chewy and take them to the spot. When they get up, we go wash hands and put the chewy aside to be washed. Now my 1 year old dcb now asks for a chewy when he needs it and takes himself to the spot. Since he knows he's allowed to do it, he needs it less and less.
LK5kids 05:32 AM 07-21-2018
I'd take this family in a heartbeat.

I love the idea of training them to use a chewy necklace even though I'm Leary of that rubber/plastic they are made of.

If I see a child mouthing a toy as soon as they drop it I put it in one of my "mouthed" toys bins. In all honesty I'm careful but they are all sharing germs all day.

I'm wondering too how do you keep the two different groups away from each other's toys. I had a basket of baby toys (like rattles) when I had young infants that I wouldn't let older kids touch. it was a constant battle to keep them away from the 2's. They were bound to get their hands on them.
Tags:inappropriate talk, mouthy
Reply Up