Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Whole Corn For Sensory?
Play Care 11:23 AM 09-22-2015
I was thinking of picking up a bag of whole corn to use as a sensory activity for Fall/harvest theme. Has anyone used this? Positives? Negatives?

The one thing I'm nervous about is attracting mice (or worse!) with it
Unregistered 11:31 AM 09-22-2015
I've seen programs using whole corn. I know kids have fun with it.

Personally and this is just me but it seems to cast off particles and dust and I worry what chemical sprays were used on it as feed corn is nortorious for lots of chemical spraying. What is being inhaled?. I use oatmeal and suppose that could have the same issues! For some reason I shy away from corn!

Second for me are kids putting it in their mouth and could it be a possible chocking hazard. It is small and one/two pieces are not the size of a choking hazard. I'm just a bit of a worry wort!

I know some won't use food for play and field corn I'd NOT people food! So that's a plus.
Ariana 12:05 PM 09-22-2015
I used red lentils and chickpeas. I don't think mice like it
jenboo 01:29 PM 09-22-2015
I've bought ears of corn for lunch and had the children shuck it.
They loved it! And it was less work for me
littletots 01:42 PM 09-22-2015
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I've bought ears of corn for lunch and had the children shuck it.
They loved it! And it was less work for me
Wonderful!

My coordinator dislikes playing or art w food. Lots of things to try once she moves on.
snbauser 01:57 PM 09-22-2015
My kids liked it when we did it last year. That being said, I probably won't do it this year. Feed corn is not "cleaned" like regular corn and after about a week we had small bugs in our table. I emptied the table, cleaned it, and tried again. Same thing a few days later. I checked the bag and found some in the bag. My guess is that they were in the corn itself.
Josiegirl 02:51 PM 09-22-2015
I don't know how old your kids are but I'm always leery, not only of the possible choking risk but even sticking it up their nose, in their ears and wherever else they could think of!
I remember having green peas for lunch and 1 of the kids started screaming, he'd sucked a pea up his nose. Makes one paranoid.
Play Care 05:05 PM 09-22-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I don't know how old your kids are but I'm always leery, not only of the possible choking risk but even sticking it up their nose, in their ears and wherever else they could think of!
I remember having green peas for lunch and 1 of the kids started screaming, he'd sucked a pea up his nose. Makes one paranoid.

Play Care 05:06 PM 09-22-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I've seen programs using whole corn. I know kids have fun with it.

Personally and this is just me but it seems to cast off particles and dust and I worry what chemical sprays were used on it as feed corn is nortorious for lots of chemical spraying. What is being inhaled?. I use oatmeal and suppose that could have the same issues! For some reason I shy away from corn!

Second for me are kids putting it in their mouth and could it be a possible chocking hazard. It is small and one/two pieces are not the size of a choking hazard. I'm just a bit of a worry wort!

I know some won't use food for play and field corn I'd NOT people food! So that's a plus.
Good point. I wonder if some brands are better than others?
Unregistered 04:55 AM 09-23-2015
One thing I have done for years is buy Indian corn and the kids peel off the kernels! They love it! I always have oatmeal in my bin and just set the cobs in the bin. Lentils are a good idea too! .
Reply Up