Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Letting SA DCKs Go
Josiegirl 02:52 AM 01-09-2018
I have 2 SA dcfs, 2 sets of siblings, that I've had for years and years.
I mostly have them during summer time, winter and spring breaks. I take Christmas break off and they must find care on their off days here and there because they never contact me for needing care.
I switched my insurance to a different company and they've told me as long as I take no more than 6 dcks, I can use an endorsement and not get a separate policy. So, after saying all that, it looks like I will have some issues keeping all of those dcks. This summer, it looks like I'll have room for 2 SA dcks so I'll have to let the other dcf go, which is okay because as much as I've loved the dcks, they are that proverbial thorn in my side KWIM?
My question is, how and when should I let them know? Asap, through email, etc.? I suspect they will all need dc during winter break which comes in later February. And I'm not even sure then, if I'll have room for 2 of those dcks. I have 1 dcf whose dad teaches and they usually bring their dds some of that time.
If you didn't get confused, can you please offer me some insight and suggestions? Thanks!
I might have to tell the 1 SA dcf I won't be able to take their kids until summer and hope nobody leaves but gotta do what I gotta do, right?
daycarediva 03:25 AM 01-09-2018
I hate SA. Not the kids even, I am just not set up to entertain/occupy that age group. I just no longer take them. Not for a day, a week, or a summer.

It sounds like they are on a drop in basis, and you don't require regular attendance, but want to continue to fill in gaps here/there to reach 6 kids though, right?

If that's the case, I would send a notice home that for insurance purposes, you are now only accepting six children at a time. Drop in children will be scheduled based on availability, and is not guaranteed. I would then notify them WHEN days are available (this is what I do with my drop in clients, I send a mass email with "Drop in availability for January is........" ) first come, first serve, and then I invoice them. They are required to pay within 24 hours or I go on to the next person that wanted the day.
storybookending 07:56 AM 01-09-2018
I would do away with SA all together. I would send notice out now. Summer camps in my area start registration the second week of February and they fill up SO fast. I personally just hate SA kids though and would never enroll one that was not directly related to me full time, even for a summer. I occasionally take on the older siblings of currently enrolled families on breaks (for only a day or two) but only if there is room and only if I want to.
CityGarden 02:00 PM 01-09-2018
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I hate SA. Not the kids even, I am just not set up to entertain/occupy that age group. I just no longer take them. Not for a day, a week, or a summer.
Originally Posted by storybookending:
I would do away with SA all together.
Ditto Daycare Diva & Storybookending!!!

I have a SA daughter but am not set up to meet the need of SA children so I never have and never will take SA kids. They should enroll is summer/winter camp - which is what I do with my own dd in summer.
Josiegirl 03:20 PM 01-09-2018
IF I drop the SA kids, I will only have 4 dcks when school ends for the summer and from then on. I only get calls for infants, never for 2 and up. Trust me, I've thought about it. Many times. I love these kids, really I do. But they are a whole different type of age group, most of the time even needier than an infant. Imagine having 4 of them. And out of those 4 dcks, there is only 1 who actually loves the little ones and wants to help or play with them. The other 3 see them only as little nuisances that's taking all the attention away.
I think, with your help, I may have just made my decision about SA dcks, for good. If I end up with only 4 dcks then so be it. I'll cut back expenses, raise rates a little, and make do.
I'm going to have to think this through and see if it's really doable. Thanks for the input everybody!
Tags:school age care
Reply Up