Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>For those that color code dishes
TigerLily 10:24 AM 08-06-2014
I borrowed the idea of color coding with the Ikea dish sets from here - thank you, thank you, thank you!! We use the cups at lunch, so I wanted another solution for water throughout the day. I found water bottles at Michaels in the seasonal dept that match perfectly!
midaycare 10:39 AM 08-06-2014
I have the IKEA color dishes and love them!

I don't color code, I just use them to teach colors to the kids and to teach manners. For example, whoever is sitting the nicest waiting for lunch or snack will get to pick the color of plate they want as well as be served first.
Heidi 10:42 AM 08-06-2014
I've done it that way for years. Also, their coat hook labels, blanket, etc. are matching. Basically, anything I provide matches "their" color.

My dcb who moved to California last year visited last month. He's 4 now, and his favorite color is GREEN! That was his color here.
Blackcat31 10:49 AM 08-06-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I've done it that way for years. Also, their coat hook labels, blanket, etc. are matching. Basically, anything I provide matches "their" color.

My dcb who moved to California last year visited last month. He's 4 now, and his favorite color is GREEN! That was his color here.
I "code" things too for my kids as not all of them can read.

We use symbols though instead of colors. Each symbol is attached to anything assigned to the child while they are here.

Its amazing how fast the other kids figure out who is who simply based on the symbols.
AmyKidsCo 11:23 AM 08-06-2014
I have Kleen Kanteens for water during the day. The children have the same color but not the same hue - for instance, the KK green is more army green than the IKEA green is.
MissAnn 11:50 AM 08-06-2014
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I have Kleen Kanteens for water during the day. The children have the same color but not the same hue - for instance, the KK green is more army green than the IKEA green is.
What are Kleen Kanteens?
midaycare 12:04 PM 08-06-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I "code" things too for my kids as not all of them can read.

We use symbols though instead of colors. Each symbol is attached to anything assigned to the child while they are here.

Its amazing how fast the other kids figure out who is who simply based on the symbols.
Ohhhh ... Symbols. I like, I like. What types? Circles, squares? Or things less ordinary?
Blackcat31 12:24 PM 08-06-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Ohhhh ... Symbols. I like, I like. What types? Circles, squares? Or things less ordinary?
Pictures like a dog, a cat etc.

All taken from here

http://www.environments.com/communit...ampaignid=1993

I use their label maker for EVERYTHING!! It is THE best site on line Ive found for that kind of thing.
AmyKidsCo 05:23 PM 08-06-2014
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
What are Kleen Kanteens?
Stainless steel sports bottles. Except mine have boring black tops, not the cool green ones in the photo.
http://www.kleankanteen.com/products...12oz-sport.php
midaycare 07:36 PM 08-06-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Pictures like a dog, a cat etc.

All taken from here

http://www.environments.com/communit...ampaignid=1993

I use their label maker for EVERYTHING!! It is THE best site on line Ive found for that kind of thing.
That is sweet! I wish I would have found it last week before I printed out center labels.
mom2many 09:00 PM 08-06-2014
Originally Posted by TigerLily:
I borrowed the idea of color coding with the Ikea dish sets from here - thank you, thank you, thank you!! We use the cups at lunch, so I wanted another solution for water throughout the day. I found water bottles at Michaels in the seasonal dept that match perfectly!
I just got these tonight! I love them! So perfect for park days and also for keeping on the kitchen counter for the kids to have water through out the day. They were even on sale for $1/each and then she gave me a 15% teacher discount on top of it! I've never had Michael's offer to do that, so I was pretty happy!!!!
daycarediva 03:47 AM 08-07-2014
Originally Posted by TigerLily:
We have the same set up! Don't put the water bottles from Michaels in the dishwasher on sanitize, they melt! Isn't it awesome? Total life saver!
MarinaVanessa 10:08 AM 08-07-2014
I use the IKEA plates, bowls and eating utensils but not the cups. I used to use them but I use the Toss'n'Go cups now instead. I have both the small and larger size cups. The older kids use the larger cups without the lid and the younger ones use the smaller cups with lids on them. I like that they come with detachable covers so I can take the cups with us when we go on walks. I put lids on all of the cups and put the covers on them and put the cups in the stroller basket. I like being able to use the same cups for multiple purposes and I don't have to have separate water bottles for when we're outside, it saves me storage space.

PS: I LOVE the new Ikea bowl and plate style. They nest and stack easier and I love that the plates have the high ridge. My DCK's have an easier time scooping food and keeping it on their plates.

Since the Toss n Go cups don't come in two shades of blue like the Ikea ones do I assign dark blue to an older boy and serve him a large Toss n Go cup and the lighter blue to a younger boy and give him a small blue Toss N Go cup with a lid.

Mine also have matching flannel blankets that my mom made for us.
Rachel 04:32 AM 08-08-2014
I also use the Ikea stuff. I have 5 kids and sometimes get a 6th as an extra. Plus I have a little folder for each child's stuff (contract, medical form, etc). Matches the Ikea color of course
MarinaVanessa 07:21 AM 08-08-2014
Originally Posted by Rachel:
I also use the Ikea stuff. I have 5 kids and sometimes get a 6th as an extra. Plus I have a little folder for each child's stuff (contract, medical form, etc). Matches the Ikea color of course
Good I'm not the only one that's this anal
Rachel 11:42 PM 08-09-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
Good I'm not the only one that's this anal
I'm actually very ADD and it's hard for me to be organized. I am with the daycare stuff because I know I *have* to be! My current supervisor is always commenting on how organized I am and I always have to try not to laugh. After the first year I figured out a system (we have these little folios here, little files that hold a batch of page protectors) and I bought a set (10 cost like nothing...) and used one color for each kid. The contract, medical form, and special instructions or anything goes in there. At the end of the year I clean them all out and put the 5 together in one folder and label it with the school year and in the closet. The rest of my life is all over the place, but I can find you the contract of a DCK from 2 years ago
Reply Up