Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Toddler Water Bottles
mamamanda 05:50 AM 02-16-2016
I am having a real struggle with having water bottles available right now. Everyone is sick with coughs and head colds at my house and I don't want them sharing germs. (Not that I allow them to share any other time either, just I'm being extra vigilant at the moment.) Dcg wants any water bottle she sees. She is fully aware that it is not hers b/c the second she picks it up I say, "That's not yours," and she will say, "It's so and so's." I've explained, worked with her, modeled how to get a drink and put it back on the ledge, etc. Nothing works. The second she sees a drink she takes it and sips. If my back is turned from the ledge where they are supposed to sit their water bottles, she sneaks over there to grab one...rarely hers.
Also, side issue, her parents did away with the paci about 3 weeks ago and she's been mouthing everything since. I pull a toy out of her mouth and put it in the wash bucket about every 5 minutes all day long. Of course, she's been hacking her head off and snotting everywhere for 2 weeks now (thus everyone else having it) but she hasn't run a fever at all.
How do you handle water bottles with the 2 and under group? And how do you handle the constant mouthing of toys when they are obviously sick, but not sick enough to exclude?
Blackcat31 05:54 AM 02-16-2016
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
I am having a real struggle with having water bottles available right now. Everyone is sick with coughs and head colds at my house and I don't want them sharing germs. (Not that I allow them to share any other time either, just I'm being extra vigilant at the moment.) Dcg wants any water bottle she sees. She is fully aware that it is not hers b/c the second she picks it up I say, "That's not yours," and she will say, "It's so and so's." I've explained, worked with her, modeled how to get a drink and put it back on the ledge, etc. Nothing works. The second she sees a drink she takes it and sips. If my back is turned from the ledge where they are supposed to sit their water bottles, she sneaks over there to grab one...rarely hers.
Also, side issue, her parents did away with the paci about 3 weeks ago and she's been mouthing everything since. I pull a toy out of her mouth and put it in the wash bucket about every 5 minutes all day long. Of course, she's been hacking her head off and snotting everywhere for 2 weeks now (thus everyone else having it) but she hasn't run a fever at all.
How do you handle water bottles with the 2 and under group? And how do you handle the constant mouthing of toys when they are obviously sick, but not sick enough to exclude?
I do not leave water bottles or cups out for use all day.

I don't believe it's necessary and it's just not something I would personally do.

I have regular water breaks for all kids. If it's a cough/cold season, we just break more often for water.

Those that can communicate their need for water outside those break time can do so and I will get them water but honestly I struggle with and actually can't stand the idea that parents now days feel their kid has to have a water bottle or sippy cup within reach at all times.
midaycare 06:01 AM 02-16-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I do not leave water bottles or cups out for use all day.

I don't believe it's necessary and it's just not something I would personally do.

I have regular water breaks for all kids. If it's a cough/cold season, we just break more often for water.

Those that can communicate their need for water outside those break time can do so and I will get them water but honestly I struggle with and actually can't stand the idea that parents now days feel their kid has to have a water bottle or sippy cup within reach at all times.
I don't do this either. I have tons of small plastic cups available at a small sink downstairs, that I control. At the end of the day, I wash them all.
mamamanda 06:14 AM 02-16-2016
I would much rather do it this way as well. This dcg asks for food and water all day long though. Obviously I don't feed her in between meals, but if I got her a drink each time she asked I would be giving her drinks literally like every 10 minutes throughout the day. How often do you time your drink breaks? If I have them scheduled I could just tell her wait until break, but what's a reasonable time to make her wait? Everything at home is done at her beck and call and boy is she high maintenance.
jenboo 06:21 AM 02-16-2016
I have always left water bottles available all day. I personally always have mine with me and wouldn't want to have to ask each time I wanted a drink.
I've never had the issue you are having though so I have no advice. Sorry

NoMoreJuice! 06:31 AM 02-16-2016
I keep all of mine on a counter where the littles can't reach, and even kids who can reach are trained to ask permission before grabbing. We have water breaks roughly every hour where we all go over and drink, then hand the water bottles back.
Blackcat31 06:34 AM 02-16-2016
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
I would much rather do it this way as well. This dcg asks for food and water all day long though. Obviously I don't feed her in between meals, but if I got her a drink each time she asked I would be giving her drinks literally like every 10 minutes throughout the day. How often do you time your drink breaks? If I have them scheduled I could just tell her wait until break, but what's a reasonable time to make her wait? Everything at home is done at her beck and call and boy is she high maintenance.
I schedule breaks for water in between activities so about every hour to hour and a half.

I have zero issues saying no, they have to wait until the next scheduled break and I have no issues requiring them ask simply because like you said, you'd be handing out drinks every 3 seconds and I'm sorry but no one needs a constant intake of water. It's simply not necessary. NOT saying water isn't necessary, I'm saying asking for a tiny sip every 10 minutes is not necessary.

Originally Posted by jenboo:
I have always left water bottles available all day. I personally always have mine with me and wouldn't want to have to ask each time I wanted a drink.
I've never had the issue you are having though so I have no advice. Sorry
Um, I'm thinking because you can do it all by yourself that your situation isn't comparable.

If adults want to carry around water bottles, coffee cups and/or soda or whatever all day, that's up to them. NO ONE has to help them get these things....

Its the kid that asks 75x in an hour and sets off all the other kids suddenly "needing" a drink too that causes the issues so rather than have drinks be so time consuming, like anything else in daycare with multiple kids and multiple responsibilities, the water breaks are scheduled.
Ariana 06:35 AM 02-16-2016
I also schedule regular drink breaks and water bottles are rarely freely available unless we are going to the park on a hot day or something. Kids will ask or gesture for water if they need it but most of them drink plenty at snacks and lunch. I think this might be something you want to start doing, at least during cold/flu season.
Leigh 06:41 AM 02-16-2016
My kids have water available all day long. I have a few (my own included) who drink massive amounts of water. The rule here is that they must stay on the kitchen counter (always within my sight). This way, it's easier to keep those kids who like to share out of the other kids' drinks.
Thriftylady 08:02 AM 02-16-2016
Mine have color coded cups and leave them on the table. I wish I could find water bottles I could color code! But I have never had the issue the OP has. All of mine are old enough right now to actually get their own water from the fridge door dispenser. If I get younger ones, I may have to change things.
Unregistered 08:51 AM 02-16-2016
Originally Posted by Leigh:
My kids have water available all day long. I have a few (my own included) who drink massive amounts of water. The rule here is that they must stay on the kitchen counter (always within my sight). This way, it's easier to keep those kids who like to share out of the other kids' drinks.
This is me. My under 2's can't reach. Can you push them back so she can't reach?
Cat Herder 09:06 AM 02-16-2016
I am *required* to have drinking water "readily available" all day.

.... and I do.

In the mini fridge ready for the asking (by pointing or verbal request). It has a picture of the cups posted and everything.... just like all the clear toy bins.....

Progress and Quality and what not.
jenboo 03:12 PM 02-16-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I schedule breaks for water in between activities so about every hour to hour and a half.

I have zero issues saying no, they have to wait until the next scheduled break and I have no issues requiring them ask simply because like you said, you'd be handing out drinks every 3 seconds and I'm sorry but no one needs a constant intake of water. It's simply not necessary. NOT saying water isn't necessary, I'm saying asking for a tiny sip every 10 minutes is not necessary.

Um, I'm thinking because you can do it all by yourself that your situation isn't comparable.

If adults want to carry around water bottles, coffee cups and/or soda or whatever all day, that's up to them. NO ONE has to help them get these things....

Its the kid that asks 75x in an hour and sets off all the other kids suddenly "needing" a drink too that causes the issues so rather than have drinks be so time consuming, like anything else in daycare with multiple kids and multiple responsibilities, the water breaks are scheduled.
That's why their cups are always available. They can do it all by theirselves. Starting about a year old, they know how to get their cup out of their cubbie, take a drink and put their cup back.
I only fill them in the morning and at lunch.
If one kid wants a drink and then everyone decides they want a drink too, it's no big deal because they can all do it theirselves.
Reply Up