Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hands Down His Pants!
Homebody 03:17 PM 02-09-2018
I have a just turned 5 year old that has just started doing this. I caught him last week, and made him go wash his hands. Then again today right before nap time. He's only here Thursday afternoons and all day on Fridays, and won't be here anymore come summertime. In the mean time, I don't know if there is anything else I can do, but tell him to stop and go wash his hands. I don't want to embarrass him in front of the other kids, but this is really gross and I would think he would be past this stage. Anyone delt with this. I haven't mentioned to parents yet, since I've only caught him twice.
storybookending 05:22 PM 02-09-2018
Originally Posted by Homebody:
I have a just turned 5 year old that has just started doing this. I caught him last week, and made him go wash his hands. Then again today right before nap time. He's only here Thursday afternoons and all day on Fridays, and won't be here anymore come summertime. In the mean time, I don't know if there is anything else I can do, but tell him to stop and go wash his hands. I don't want to embarrass him in front of the other kids, but this is really gross and I would think he would be past this stage. Anyone delt with this. I haven't mentioned to parents yet, since I've only caught him twice.
This is actually very common and completely natural. It might be worth mentioning to parents and having them have the talk with him about when and where it is appropriate.
Homebody 06:45 PM 02-09-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
This is actually very common and completely natural. It might be worth mentioning to parents and having them have the talk with him about when and where it is appropriate.
Yeah, I know its a natural part of development. My son who is the same age did it when he was around 3, but he did in his bed and not in front of others. Given DCB's age I just am not sure how to correct him without embarrassing him in front of the other kids because it happens while they are playing. Parents didn't pickup today, it was his teenage brother. We've had discussions before with past behavior issues, but the problem according to his step mom is that he spends half the week with his real mom and half the week with his dad and step mom. I get him during the part of the week he is with dad. His step mom says when it comes to disciplining or correcting bad behaviors its like starting all over when he comes back from staying with mom. I guess if I catch him again next week, I will talk to parents. He's just a real sensitive kid sometimes and I didn't want to hurt his feelings or make him feel bad.
hwichlaz 07:10 PM 02-09-2018
I’d have a private convo with him. Ask if maybe it itches down there or something...if there is a reason? Let him know that either way, it’s a private matter that can’t happen around other people. If he needs to handle his junk he has to go to the bathroom to do it, then wash up.
storybookending 08:25 PM 02-09-2018
Yeah, I know its a natural part of development. My son who is the same age did it when he was around 3, but he did in his bed and not in front of others. Given DCB's age I just am not sure how to correct him without embarrassing him in front of the other kids because it happens while they are playing. Parents didn't pickup today, it was his teenage brother. We've had discussions before with past behavior issues, but the problem according to his step mom is that he spends half the week with his real mom and half the week with his dad and step mom. I get him during the part of the week he is with dad. His step mom says when it comes to disciplining or correcting bad behaviors its like starting all over when he comes back from staying with mom. I guess if I catch him again next week, I will talk to parents. He's just a real sensitive kid sometimes and I didn't want to hurt his feelings or make him feel bad.
I understand. If you are able to pull him aside and chat privately with him when you see it I would maybe do that.
Homebody 06:52 AM 02-10-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
I understand. If you are able to pull him aside and chat privately with him when you see it I would maybe do that.
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
I’d have a private convo with him. Ask if maybe it itches down there or something...if there is a reason? Let him know that either way, it’s a private matter that can’t happen around other people. If he needs to handle his junk he has to go to the bathroom to do it, then wash up.
If it happens again I will try and talk to him. I was hoping just by telling him to stop and go wash your hands this would help. What I meant by gross is that he's playing with toys that the other kids play when I've caught him. Its the same as like a child using their hands to wipe their nose instead of a tissue - the cleanliness factor. I wouldn't want to make a child feel bad about something that is normal part of development, but yeah he needs to know not to do it in front of others.

Hwichlaz, when you mentioned about asking him if it itches or if there is a reason that reminded me of a couple of days last month where he was using the bathroom quite frequently. I mean he went like probably a dozen times during the day (normally he only goes a couple of times). A couple of times he was in and out 4 times in a ten minute period. I kept asking if he was alright and he just said he had to go. He wasn't spending a lot of time in there, maybe a minute. I told step mom at pickup about it and was concerned that he might have an infection. But now that this thing with him putting his hands down his pants has me wondering if he has something going on medically, or if its just a new fascination. I'm going to mention it to step mom next time I see her because I'm sure this has to be going on at home too.
hwichlaz 03:31 PM 02-10-2018
If it happens again I will try and talk to him. I was hoping just by telling him to stop and go wash your hands this would help. What I meant by gross is that he's playing with toys that the other kids play when I've caught him. Its the same as like a child using their hands to wipe their nose instead of a tissue - the cleanliness factor. I wouldn't want to make a child feel bad about something that is normal part of development, but yeah he needs to know not to do it in front of others.

Hwichlaz, when you mentioned about asking him if it itches or if there is a reason that reminded me of a couple of days last month where he was using the bathroom quite frequently. I mean he went like probably a dozen times during the day (normally he only goes a couple of times). A couple of times he was in and out 4 times in a ten minute period. I kept asking if he was alright and he just said he had to go. He wasn't spending a lot of time in there, maybe a minute. I told step mom at pickup about it and was concerned that he might have an infection. But now that this thing with him putting his hands down his pants has me wondering if he has something going on medically, or if its just a new fascination. I'm going to mention it to step mom next time I see her because I'm sure this has to be going on at home too.
My son was about 4 when I noticed it was an issue. I turned out to be that he didn't like the skin on skin feeling of his scrotum sticking to his leg. I can empathize with that as someone with a large bosom. Giving him powder to apply when he got dressed in the morning and a change in style of underwear solved the issue.
Homebody 04:21 PM 02-10-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
My son was about 4 when I noticed it was an issue. I turned out to be that he didn't like the skin on skin feeling of his scrotum sticking to his leg. I can empathize with that as someone with a large bosom. Giving him powder to apply when he got dressed in the morning and a change in style of underwear solved the issue.
Thank you for mentioning this. Its possible he's having the same issue, and he's just uncomfortable. When I talk with his step mom next week I will ask her about it and see if she has noticed any problems.
Ariana 08:09 PM 02-10-2018
Thank you for mentioning this. Its possible he's having the same issue, and he's just uncomfortable. When I talk with his step mom next week I will ask her about it and see if she has noticed any problems.
I would get the mom or dad to have a chat with him. My newly turned 5 yr old full on touches herself when watching tv. I have had a few convos with her to tell her it is not appropriate unless she is alone in her room. When i see her doing it I will ask her if she needs to go to her room to do it. She usually stops. I am happy to report it is finally becoming much less frequent.
Homebody 08:05 AM 02-11-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I would get the mom or dad to have a chat with him. My newly turned 5 yr old full on touches herself when watching tv. I have had a few convos with her to tell her it is not appropriate unless she is alone in her room. When i see her doing it I will ask her if she needs to go to her room to do it. She usually stops. I am happy to report it is finally becoming much less frequent.
Thanks Ariana. If I catch him again I plan on talking to his step mom. She's the one who usually picks up.
Mom2Two 11:37 AM 02-12-2018
One of my dcbs was doing that last year--front and back. I just told him to not do that and sent him to wash his hands. I didn't worry about embarrassing him. It's unhygienic. I talked to mom about it and she agreed.

I'm pretty sure she worked with it at home too, because he stopped really quickly.
Tags:hands in pants
Reply Up