Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I'm Quitting!!!
MommyMuffin 10:00 AM 10-18-2011
After 1 year of doing dc I have decided that it is not a good fit for me and my family. Since I started doing dc my 3 yo has started hitting and bitting when she never used to, she says she wants the kids to leave and has a hard time sharing toys. The kids has broken so many things and I am working 52 hours a week...boo!! lol

I know I will be quitting dc as soon as I get a job. I have an interview tomorrow and it sounds like if I am hired they would need me to start training next week. That would only give dc parents 3 - 7 days notice. In my contract I did write a 2 week notice unless child is destructive etc...

Anyways, what do I do? I know it would be pretty crappy on my part to only give a short notice but I really want this job. WWYD?
Ariana 10:03 AM 10-18-2011
Oh no that's too bad. Sorry it didn't work out

Could you refund them some money just to make it short and sweet and cut all ties?
MommyMuffin 10:07 AM 10-18-2011
I never took a deposit, they pay on fri for the following week. I did have them pay a 25 registration fee..
cheerfuldom 10:11 AM 10-18-2011
I would take the job if offered it. I would ask that your new job let you give the parents the two weeks notice, perhaps they would be willing to hold off training for a few days? Is there anyone that can watch the kids at your house for a few days?

Either way, I would not let this opportunity pass you by. Its best if you move onto something you do have a passion for versus staying in daycare and being miserable. Home daycare is not for everyone and there are too many people that stay in it long after they should have left. You are doing the right thing in finding something that works for your family. good luck!
Unregistered 10:16 AM 10-18-2011
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
After 1 year of doing dc I have decided that it is not a good fit for me and my family. Since I started doing dc my 3 yo has started hitting and bitting when she never used to, she says she wants the kids to leave and has a hard time sharing toys. The kids has broken so many things and I am working 52 hours a week...boo!! lol

I know I will be quitting dc as soon as I get a job. I have an interview tomorrow and it sounds like if I am hired they would need me to start training next week. That would only give dc parents 3 - 7 days notice. In my contract I did write a 2 week notice unless child is destructive etc...

Anyways, what do I do? I know it would be pretty crappy on my part to only give a short notice but I really want this job. WWYD?
Your 3 year old could pick that up from anywhere or even figure that out herself. Sharing you is what she is having the hardest time with. Toys....it happens, and can happen when it's just your children. Supervise Supervise. 52 hour week is your fault also.....choose your hours, don't let parents run you. Be open from such and such a time. You burnt out because you allowed yourself to burn out.

I don't know about not giving a notice. I would see if your new job if you could start in two weeks so you are able to give proper notice. You would be livid if your parents did this to you. I guess you could just explain to your parents and hope for the best and that they can be understanding of your new adventure.

Good luck-
Blackcat31 10:38 AM 10-18-2011
Good for you to recognize that this isn't a good fit for your family. I am sure you are a great provider, but we all need to do what works best for our family.

As far as the short notice, this has actually happened to several daycares where I live just recently. The provider got a job outside the home and could only give a weeks notice to the families.

Fortunately the need to fill spaces is so prevalent in ALL areas of the country that NONE of the families had trouble finding new care arrangements. Don't feel bad about that part of it! Families will make due.

I actually require all my daycare families to have reliable back up just in case something comes up (temporary or permanent...kwim?)
wdmmom 10:44 AM 10-18-2011
I would draw up a letter this afternoon and pass it out to families tonight. Give them as much time as possible to find a new daycare.

If you get the job, tell them that you must provide notice. Most employers understand that you have to give some type of notice.

Dear families,

After much deliberation, I have decided to close down (name of daycare). I have decided to re-enter the working field. I will do my best to provide you with as much notice as possible as to when I will close for sure.

Thank you,

Daycare
cheerfuldom 10:51 AM 10-18-2011
I would not pass out any letter until you know you are going to get a job FOR SURE and have an close date for the parents. otherwise, people are going to leave early and you will be left with no income of any sort. This current interview may not work out and it could possibly be months until you find a job that fits
MommyMuffin 11:01 AM 10-18-2011
Thanks for the ideas...I know it would be in the parents best intrest to pass out a letter giving a heads up but it would not be in my families best intrest. Living pay check to pay check.

Hopefully I get the job!!
And hopefully they will let me give the parents a week at least.

I would go from working 52 hours a week with 5 dcks to 24 hours a week making $20 an hour and I wont have to pay for daycare for my kids because it is opposite of my husbands shift!! It just seems like a no brainer!!
Cross your fingers for me!!
boysx5 11:52 AM 10-18-2011
good luck tomorrow
grandmom 02:57 PM 10-18-2011
So here's my take. Accept the job if offered AND insist on 2 weeks notice. That says to the new employer that you have character enough to fulfill your promise to your current *employer*. A new employer that would not allow you to fulfil your obligations, is waving a huge red flag about how they will treat you as an employee.

Good luck on the interview.
misspollywog 06:43 PM 10-18-2011
Good luck and for $20 an hour, if you can, I would help the dcf's find other dc ASAP even if you have to make phone calls to other providers to expedite the process.
MamaBear 08:55 PM 10-18-2011
Congratulations! I wish sometimes that I could do this too but then I'd have to pay childcare for my youngest and thats the main point of why I do daycare. Your lucky to have the set up that you have. It sounds like a no-brainer to me. I'm happy for you!

I'd give the parents a letter asap. It's nice to give them more notice, but sometimes you gotta do whats right for you and your family. Plus if it was them, they would do whats right for their family too if they needed to move or anything. They'll move on. I wouldn't worry about it.

Good luck with your interview!
morgan24 05:58 AM 10-19-2011
Good luck with your interview. Sounds like a awesome chance. Daycare is not for everyone. I would give the parents as much notice as possible but I wouldn't let it keep me from taking the job, sure 2 weeks would be nice but if you get the job and they want you to start sooner you should do that.
themoorethemerrier 06:55 AM 10-19-2011
Admirable. Hope you get the job, Muffin!
dave4him 07:28 AM 10-19-2011
Good luck with the new job. Hopefully everything works out
harperluu 08:02 AM 10-19-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Your 3 year old could pick that up from anywhere or even figure that out herself. Sharing you is what she is having the hardest time with. Toys....it happens, and can happen when it's just your children. Supervise Supervise. 52 hour week is your fault also.....choose your hours, don't let parents run you. Be open from such and such a time. You burnt out because you allowed yourself to burn out.

I don't know about not giving a notice. I would see if your new job if you could start in two weeks so you are able to give proper notice. You would be livid if your parents did this to you. I guess you could just explain to your parents and hope for the best and that they can be understanding of your new adventure.

Good luck-
You're being a brat. She said in home child care isn't for her and she's taking steps to remedy that situation.
Blackcat31 08:05 AM 10-19-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:

Good luck-
Originally Posted by harperluu:
You're being a brat. She said in home child care isn't for her and she's taking steps to remedy that situation.
I agree 100% with harperluu!!! What is wrong with trying something out and realizing AND recognizing it isn't right for you? I think it shows some real insight and honesty! Good for you mommymuffin!!

Any updates on the job yet?
littlemissmuffet 08:14 AM 10-19-2011
Good for you for recognizing that childcare isn't a good match for you! Too many people stay in this business and become miserable and resentful - and the daycare kids pay for it.

I do think, however, that it's necessary to follow through with your contract. All the providers here get so angry when a parent doesn't give proper notice or pay out no matter the situation - be it just not wanting to, or not being able to - so it's completely hipocritical, unprofessional and actually illegal (due to the contract) to not give the notice promised.

Do the right thing.

And good luck.
Unregistered 10:02 AM 10-19-2011
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
Good for you for recognizing that childcare isn't a good match for you! Too many people stay in this business and become miserable and resentful - and the daycare kids pay for it.

I do think, however, that it's necessary to follow through with your contract. All the providers here get so angry when a parent doesn't give proper notice or pay out no matter the situation - be it just not wanting to, or not being able to - so it's completely hipocritical, unprofessional and actually illegal (due to the contract) to not give the notice promised.

Do the right thing.

And good luck.
I agree with this completely!!! Calling me a brat is very unprofessional especially not even knowing me, and for differing with your opinion.
MommyMuffin 01:14 PM 10-19-2011
I think the interview went really well. She said she would get back to me this afternoon...I'm sitting on pins and needles waiting.

Thanks for all your feedback. I would be able to give 1 weeks notice for sure!! I understand 2 weeks is the best scenerio. When we had our 4 month old baby in dc the provider told me on friday at pick up that she was closing her dc. (on cl the next week I saw her ad...so I know she lied to me.)
Well we had an awful time the whole next week, taking off work, calling around, visiting dcs at night. It was bad. We only got a weekend notice. That is why I think 1 weeks notice is fair enough for the situation I am in.

Keep fingers crossed...she should call soon.......
Unregistered 02:38 PM 10-19-2011
I think the interview went really well. She said she would get back to me this afternoon...I'm sitting on pins and needles waiting.

Thanks for all your feedback. I would be able to give 1 weeks notice for sure!! I understand 2 weeks is the best scenerio. When we had our 4 month old baby in dc the provider told me on friday at pick up that she was closing her dc. (on cl the next week I saw her ad...so I know she lied to me.)
Well we had an awful time the whole next week, taking off work, calling around, visiting dcs at night. It was bad. We only got a weekend notice. That is why I think 1 weeks notice is fair enough for the situation I am in.

Keep fingers crossed...she should call soon.......
Good Luck, I hope it's a great new adventure for you and your family and that all works out best for everyone.
jen 07:05 PM 10-19-2011
Good luck!!! I hope it all goes well. When you're done, you're done!
Blackcat31 06:05 AM 10-20-2011
Well??? Did she call?? I am dying to know .... I hate suspense?
MommyMuffin 07:28 AM 10-20-2011
She just called and......I got the job!! whoo hoo! I'm on cloud nine!
I am now trying to write up a letter and think of some nice things to do for the families. Print childcare resouces information.....I dont know

How do I start the letter and how do I start the conversation at pick up?
Unregistered 07:45 AM 10-20-2011
I am now trying to write up a letter and think of some nice things to do for the families. Print childcare resouces information.....I dont know

I'm registered......I'm not putting my name. I am quitting soon too and I'm so jealous and proud of you! I am writing my letter also and if I get it done today I'll pm you.

Congrats!!!
morgan24 08:06 AM 10-20-2011
Congrats!! I'm terrible at writing letters, so I usually just say what ever I have to. I would say something like, I just wanted to let you know that I have been offered a job and I'll be starting on such and such a date. Then if you do know anyone with openings you could tell them. Will you be able to give them very much notice? I know you were concerned you could only give them one week.
Blackcat31 08:13 AM 10-20-2011

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! How awesome for you!!

I would write a simple but short note explaining that unfortunately child care is not working for you and you will be closing your doors as of *** day. etc "Thank you for the opportunity to be a part of your child's life and I wish you the best for the future. "

I don't think you need to go into any long details, just short and sweet. Your choices are YOURS and you shouldn't have to explain anything other than it isn't working and you are closing.

What is your start date for work?
lil angels 11:51 AM 10-20-2011
Congrats to you! I tried about 6 mon ago for something else and it didn't work out. But I have been doing this for 11 yrs and don't hate it. I will keep my eyes peeled though. Best of luck to you.
Lilbutterflie 12:02 PM 10-20-2011
Wow, I just saw this and Congrats to you MommyMuffin!

Good luck in your future endeavors.
themoorethemerrier 12:15 PM 10-20-2011
Wonderful - enjoy!
boysx5 12:17 PM 10-20-2011
congrats on the new job
MARSTELAC 05:49 PM 12-16-2011
So happy for you! Better check-in here once in a while just for kicks & giggles!
Good luck
Michael 05:56 PM 12-16-2011
Originally Posted by MARSTELAC:
So happy for you! Better check-in here once in a while just for kicks & giggles!
Good luck
MARSTELAC you're funny. This happened about two months ago. MommyMuffin stop coming here in Oct. I can give you her email if you'd like.
Nellie 09:19 PM 12-16-2011
Just want to say congrats on the new job.
frgsonmysox 10:04 PM 12-16-2011
I know this thread is old, but if you come back I hope your job is going well!

I don't plan on doing daycare for the rest of my life, only 5 years or so and then I'll go back to work as an IBCLC.
Abigail 01:30 AM 12-17-2011
I wonder who the unregistered one was who quit daycare too? I think it's cute that we're all supportive of entering and exiting this business.
Michelle 08:58 AM 12-17-2011
I'm wondering if she put her 3 year old in daycare.
Home,center,nanny, or Grandma?
I'm also wondering if her child's behavior stopped or got worse with her new childcare arrangements.
melissa ann 06:59 AM 12-19-2011
Originally Posted by Michelle:
I'm wondering if she put her 3 year old in daycare.
Home,center,nanny, or Grandma?
I'm also wondering if her child's behavior stopped or got worse with her new childcare arrangements.
I was wondering the same thing.
christinaskids 07:47 PM 12-19-2011
She said she didnt need daycare cuz her shifts were opposite of her husbands. I am also curious to know of her daughter is happier
Tags:bad fit, closing daycare, deposit, notice of closure
Reply Up