Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Kids SICK A Lot This Year
thecrazyisout 06:54 AM 01-05-2012
Anyone else having this problem with their group...I have kids that have been sick constantly. My mom said her doctor told her there is a virus going around lasts about 6 weeks.....

Any tips? I am literally sanitizing everything constantly and keeping the babies from the older kids. Washing hands left and right.
countrymom 06:58 AM 01-05-2012
I found that its not my house, its acually theirs. You can clean and wash as much as you can, but I will bet you its coming from home. Also, germs are ok, don't go overboard otherwise the kids will stay sick longer. Also, if it lingers for so long, then they need to go get checked out, viruses don't last 6 weeks.
MNMum 07:08 AM 01-05-2012
You need a happy medium with the bleach. Too many chemicals will not help the situation. One of the dck brought in a virus, which everyone got. Including my husband. He has been coughing for 3 months! He's been checked out, taken 2 rounds of antibiotics and had a chest xray (which did not show pneumonia). Now we just went through a course of the stomach flu (I had to close today).

I feel like we have had something going around almost every week. I have to chalk it up to the demographics of my group. Although there are only 4 families that I care for, 2 have older siblings. They are all very busy and out in the community a lot. During the first round of nasty colds, I sanitized like crazy. It didn't seem to help, actually seemed to make things last longer. Now I sanitize what makes sense and not go overboard. We try to make it outside midday almost everyday, even though we are in MN. Something to be said for fresh air.
Ariana 09:33 AM 01-05-2012
I feed my kids vitamins and probiotics nearly every day. Probiotics are a big immune booster! I buy the powder at the natural food store and add it to smoothies or yogurt. When a kid is on antibiotics the good bacteria gets killed too so they're more prone to illness. Probiotics restore the good bacteria so it's easier to fight infection naturally within the body.
saved4always 07:11 PM 01-13-2012
I have had kids sick constantly since school started. I have one little 2 yo who has had a cough for months. I am pretty sure she got it from childcare at the gym her parents take her to several evenings a week while they work out. I only have a couple other children. Unfortunately, all 3 put the toys in their mouths so all the sanitizing of the toys doesn't seem to do any good. It seems the only time they want to share a toy is if it was just in their mouth . Doesn't help that the little girl who is always sick loves to put her face close to everyone else's face and cough directly in it. The 1 1/2 year old little guy ends up getting sick, too, and he always gets a wheeze so next thing you know, he needs back on his nebulizer. The other little boy must have a stronger immune system...just get a little sniffles. I am just taking the vitamin C and zinc lozengers if I feel anything coming at all and hope for the best .
Christian Mother 09:15 PM 01-13-2012
We haven't been hit that bad this yr. Last yr was awful...everyone all the time was sick not to mention I had pneumonia. This yr one of the dcb's got a stomach virus that is father had first and then baby brother got it. It got passed on to my daughter who has now just got over it. She would throw up then be running around as if nothing happened. No temp. good eater...then the next night same thing. This has gone on for 3 wks. No one else in our family or the daycare kids have gotten it but Its unenviable that they wouldn't. It seems like it took a wk or 2 before it hit my daughter..hmmmm
This this afternoon same dcb who had it Christmas weekend got sick again. I just don't understand it. I thought that once they had it they couldn't get it again but both my daughter and him have had it twice now. I feel like all I do is clean. I am sooo tired of cleaning!
WImom 04:37 AM 01-14-2012
I'm sure my time is coming but so far this school year we have only had one round of coughs/colds. I'm kind of just waiting for it to all hit!
Reply Up