Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-21-2017, 07:22 AM
TXhomedaycare's Avatar
TXhomedaycare TXhomedaycare is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Lonestar State
Posts: 293
Default Sensitive Child

I have a 3.5 yo dcb that I have been watching for almost 3 years and he is the most sensitive child I have ever met. He cries a lot throughout the day. He gets his feelings hurt easily and takes everything personal. He cries at the thought of almost getting hurt (he slight taps his finger on something or bumps into something softly but cries because he knows it could have hurt him). There have been days that I have almost sent him home because he has cried so much. He is a happy outgoing child but is hyper sensitive and I send him to the restroom collect himself all day. I thought this was a phase 2 years ago but it has not stopped. His mom rolls her eyes and his dad threatens to spank him and I usually talk it out with him and then have him collect himself in the restroom. I am wondering if there is more I can do. I am so tired of him crying over every little thing all day that I am willing to try anything to help him. He is the perfect child outside of this one issue. One thing I will say is that he is always sleepy and takes a good 2 hour nap everyday and would sleep much longer if I let him. His mom let's him stay up late and watch tv and says he won't take naps on the weekend but I wonder if they shut everything down like I do (she said he goes to sleep after 9 pm sometimes at 11). She asked if I would keep him awake and I told her no but I will wake him promptly at 3 when nap is over. Dcm said dcb is just like dad in the sensitivity department and I would agree to a certain degree but not to the point of crying this much. They also let him eat junk food and snacks a lot but that is a different story (never seen him eat a vegetable since I've met him ) Any tips?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-21-2017, 07:34 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXhomedaycare View Post
I have a 3.5 yo dcb that I have been watching for almost 3 years and he is the most sensitive child I have ever met. He cries a lot throughout the day. He gets his feelings hurt easily and takes everything personal. He cries at the thought of almost getting hurt (he slight taps his finger on something or bumps into something softly but cries because he knows it could have hurt him). There have been days that I have almost sent him home because he has cried so much. He is a happy outgoing child but is hyper sensitive and I send him to the restroom collect himself all day. I thought this was a phase 2 years ago but it has not stopped. His mom rolls her eyes and his dad threatens to spank him and I usually talk it out with him and then have him collect himself in the restroom. I am wondering if there is more I can do. I am so tired of him crying over every little thing all day that I am willing to try anything to help him. He is the perfect child outside of this one issue. One thing I will say is that he is always sleepy and takes a good 2 hour nap everyday and would sleep much longer if I let him. His mom let's him stay up late and watch tv and says he won't take naps on the weekend but I wonder if they shut everything down like I do (she said he goes to sleep after 9 pm sometimes at 11). She asked if I would keep him awake and I told her no but I will wake him promptly at 3 when nap is over. Dcm said dcb is just like dad in the sensitivity department and I would agree to a certain degree but not to the point of crying this much. They also let him eat junk food and snacks a lot but that is a different story (never seen him eat a vegetable since I've met him ) Any tips?
I don't think he's sensitive.

It sounds like he is a bit spoiled, coddled and never really allowed to build coping skills or how to manage frustration (best way to hone those skills is to be told no once in awhile )

I'd enact a crying spot and let him feel however he wants as long as he wants in the crying spot. When he's ready to stop crying, whining or fussing he can come join you and the other kids. It's not time out or punishment as he can choose to stay or leave any time he's done crying.

He seems to be lacking social emotional maturity.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-21-2017, 07:48 AM
Snowmom's Avatar
Snowmom Snowmom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 1,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I don't think he's sensitive.

It sounds like he is a bit spoiled, coddled and never really allowed to build coping skills or how to manage frustration (best way to hone those skills is to be told no once in awhile )

I'd enact a crying spot and let him feel however he wants as long as he wants in the crying spot. When he's ready to stop crying, whining or fussing he can come join you and the other kids. It's not time out or punishment as he can choose to stay or leave any time he's done crying.

He seems to be lacking social emotional maturity.
This... and there isn't much you can do if things at home don't change.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-21-2017, 09:40 AM
TXhomedaycare's Avatar
TXhomedaycare TXhomedaycare is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Lonestar State
Posts: 293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I don't think he's sensitive.

It sounds like he is a bit spoiled, coddled and never really allowed to build coping skills or how to manage frustration (best way to hone those skills is to be told no once in awhile )

I'd enact a crying spot and let him feel however he wants as long as he wants in the crying spot. When he's ready to stop crying, whining or fussing he can come join you and the other kids. It's not time out or punishment as he can choose to stay or leave any time he's done crying.

He seems to be lacking social emotional maturity.
He doesn't whine or fuss he only cries and is a big boy when he plays and does learning time (most of the time). He cries for a short period of time to the point that he would never be in the crying spot because he quickly tries to collect himself which is why I send him to the restroom by the time he walks there gets a tissue and is back he is fine (he is not faking). I do agree he is spoiled his dad wants to keep him an only child so he can be spoiled like he was when he grew up (that is what he told me). He is told no by me all the time and I just assumed by now he would have adapted to not getting his way here. I struggle with dealing with him crying all the time so I was hoping it was something I could fix. I grew up tough love so this kid is testing my nerves and after 2 years I thought this would be over.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-21-2017, 11:13 AM
Ariana's Avatar
Ariana Ariana is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,970
Default

I have a child like this (my own child!) and it is very difficult to deal with. I treat both my kids the same and they hear NO all the time. My 4 year old has been like this since birth. Very fussy, easy to cry and hard to console. She can cry for hours and there is nothing I can do to console her and I have tried it all. In fact the more I push her to "get over it" the worse it gets. Super super sensitive child.

Being over tired makes it infinitely worse and we have begun to recognize that when she gets like this she needs sleep. She seems to need a lot more sleep than my other child did at this age. She has dropped her nap but some days she needs it. She sleeps 12 hours at night and there will still be days where she needs the nap or we get this crying stuff going on. We just went through a bout of it when I started some new kids. I figured it was a bit of jealousy as well as feeling overwhelmed with all the new chaos.

Are there any days when this child is fine? A day where he gets enough sleep and is fine like my kid? Otherwise it might be too much babying going on.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-21-2017, 11:16 AM
EntropyControlSpecialist's Avatar
EntropyControlSpecialist EntropyControlSpecialist is offline
Embracing the chaos.
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: A toasty environment!
Posts: 7,430
Default

I'd ask the parents to try a full 7 DAYS of putting him to bed at 8:00 or 8:30. See if it improves anything. Could he be overly tired and lacking in good nutrition (minus what he eats at your house)? Maybe.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-21-2017, 11:36 AM
Pestle's Avatar
Pestle Pestle is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,700
Default

This kid is exhausted. No wonder he's on edge all the time. He needs 12 hours of sleep overall, so a reasonably-long nap plus whatever it takes at home to make up the 12 hours. The parents are disrupting his circadian rhythm with TV, lights, the noise of adults being up, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-21-2017, 05:29 PM
Ariana's Avatar
Ariana Ariana is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,970
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestle View Post
This kid is exhausted. No wonder he's on edge all the time. He needs 12 hours of sleep overall, so a reasonably-long nap plus whatever it takes at home to make up the 12 hours. The parents are disrupting his circadian rhythm with TV, lights, the noise of adults being up, etc.
I would say a child like this may even need more than 12 hours. My child can sleep 12 hours and then take a 2 hour nap at 4 years old some days it would be crazy to think how my child would do on less than 10 hours of sleep each day.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-21-2017, 05:43 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

I have this child. She gets sent home 3-4 times a week she is so tired she can't control her emotions. She's 5 and parents have zero back bone. She's going to bed at MIDNIGHT some night and at my home at 7:30am.

The child gets 3 chances and if they still can't participate as usual they have to go home. The parents had their other child with me a few years back and same exact thing.

I feel so bad for the child.

With my dck when I truly know they are ok I always say you're safe, you're not hurt let's move on. If they can't, that's 1, then rinse and repeat.

My dck went home early today. Bed last night after yes AFTER midnight and here at 7:30. Dcm said child wet the bed at 4am and didn't go back to sleep. Are you kidding me. Not even 4 hours of sleep and you're trying to make them go to school for 9 hours. Of course they are going to melt down and cry every 5 seconds.

I would send home.

Last edited by daycare; 03-21-2017 at 05:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
learned helplessness, no cry parenting, sensitive

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do Your Daycare Kids Act Out at Pickup? jenh171 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 72 12-13-2018 04:57 PM
Sick Kids From A Physician's View NoMoreJuice! Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 105 06-27-2014 04:14 PM
Assessment Sheet??? daycare Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 3 09-25-2012 04:31 PM
Drop Off Problem... Dsquared Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 15 02-11-2011 10:52 AM
Daycare Parents Handbook DancingQueen Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 24 12-04-2010 12:35 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:56 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming