Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Early Drop Off & Not Open Yet
WBee 05:44 AM 08-31-2016
Good am all! Can someone help me write a letter regarding early drop off? I had a parent show up without notice 10 min prior to opening today which is 25 min. prior to their contracted schedule. Work asked her to go in early just for today. She caught me off guard as I was just getting my son out the door for his second day of Kindergarten. I'm emotional due to the Kindergarten thing and I don't want to come across as rude. I also don't have any early drop off contract policies-only late pick up fees. I've never had early issues prior. Help please! Thank you.
Cat Herder 06:01 AM 08-31-2016
It sounds like it is time for a early/late policy. $1 per minute. No drop-off outside of business/contracted hours without prior approval.

Also, it is important to handle it as it happens. You were not the one being rude. I probably would have made her cry. Those few special minutes in the morning as my kids were off to school and family dinners were my "hills to die on".

Now that they are young adults those times seem even more important to me in hindsight. Those were what made the relationship we have today.
Play Care 06:24 AM 08-31-2016
What Cat Herder said.

But today at pick up mom would get a "DCM, I was taken aback when you showed up 25 minutes prior to *your* opening time. I don't allow that without permission, and there is a fee of x per minute for hours outside your contracted time. Today, as it happens, I really wouldn't have been able to accommodate your request for overtime, as it was MY son's second day of K and I wanted to concentrate on HIM. I'm sure you can understand that. In the future I would need at least a 24 hour notice and I will let you know if I am able to do it. If I am able to say yes, the additional fee will be due in cash at drop off."

I find when I attach a fee, they suddenly can figure out how to make it work without me
WBee 06:36 AM 08-31-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
It sounds like it is time for a early/late policy. $1 per minute. No drop-off outside of business/contracted hours without prior approval.

Also, it is important to handle it as it happens. You were not the one being rude. I probably would have made her cry. Those few special minutes in the morning as my kids were off to school and family dinners were my "hills to die on".

Now that they are young adults those times seem even more important to me in hindsight. Those were what made the relationship we have today.
Thank you so much! This is exactly how I feel right now.
WBee 06:38 AM 08-31-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:
What Cat Herder said.

But today at pick up mom would get a "DCM, I was taken aback when you showed up 25 minutes prior to *your* opening time. I don't allow that without permission, and there is a fee of x per minute for hours outside your contracted time. Today, as it happens, I really wouldn't have been able to accommodate your request for overtime, as it was MY son's second day of K and I wanted to concentrate on HIM. I'm sure you can understand that. In the future I would need at least a 24 hour notice and I will let you know if I am able to do it. If I am able to say yes, the additional fee will be due in cash at drop off."

I find when I attach a fee, they suddenly can figure out how to make it work without me
Thank you! This is perfect! I'm setting up at sign in sheet also effective tomorrow!
Mike 06:40 AM 08-31-2016
Originally Posted by WBee:
Good am all! Can someone help me write a letter regarding early drop off? I had a parent show up without notice 10 min prior to opening today which is 25 min. prior to their contracted schedule. Work asked her to go in early just for today. She caught me off guard as I was just getting my son out the door for his second day of Kindergarten. I'm emotional due to the Kindergarten thing and I don't want to come across as rude. I also don't have any early drop off contract policies-only late pick up fees. I've never had early issues prior. Help please! Thank you.
The first thing I thought... How often is work going to ask her to go in early? I suggest being ready for that. Either have plans and rates for early if needed, or have her make sure she has another alternative.
childcaremom 07:14 AM 08-31-2016
I agree with all others. Early drop off fee. Advanced warning. Ability to say yes or no. I would address it tonight so that she doesn't think that she can do it again without first verifying it is ok with you.

If worked asked her to come in early, why didn't she ask if it was ok to drop off early? That was rude.
daycarediva 08:42 AM 08-31-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
I agree with all others. Early drop off fee. Advanced warning. Ability to say yes or no. I would address it tonight so that she doesn't think that she can do it again without first verifying it is ok with you.

If worked asked her to come in early, why didn't she ask if it was ok to drop off early? That was rude.
Exactly what I was going to say!

I will compromise and help out respectful families when I can, but not when it's expected- and even less so when they never even asked.

If I got a text the night before asking and I was inclined I would do so without even attaching a fee. I'm a Mom, I get it.

If I got a text TELLING me that they were dropping off early I would not do so.

If someone just showed up early I would have been pi$$ed!
WBee 10:36 AM 08-31-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Exactly what I was going to say!

I will compromise and help out respectful families when I can, but not when it's expected- and even less so when they never even asked.

If I got a text the night before asking and I was inclined I would do so without even attaching a fee. I'm a Mom, I get it.

If I got a text TELLING me that they were dropping off early I would not do so.

If someone just showed up early I would have been pi$$ed!
Yes, I've been pi$$ed all day now actually. Typing up a letter now. And agreed. I would not have charged her had she asked last night. Can't charge her now but after today I will be! I never had issues before because my door was never open. Now that I'm awaiting the bus I see issues coming. Stopping them now! Thank you!
laundrymom 10:57 AM 08-31-2016
Yes you can charge!!!!
At pickup tonight be blatantly honest.
"This morning you startled me dropping off almost thirty minutes early. Instead of the normal $30 non approved drop off fee, and since you're a newer client who may not understand how family childcare works, I'll only charge $20. You didn't discuss the possibility of early drop offs during the interview so I assumed you understood it isn't something I offer. If this happens again I will be forced to (terminate care/charge a bigger fee/ be unable to open early) etc"
Play Care 11:03 AM 08-31-2016
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Yes you can charge!!!!
"This morning you startled me dropping off almost thirty minutes early. Instead of the normal $30 non approved drop off fee, and since you're a newer client who may not understand how family childcare works, I'll only charge $20. You didn't discuss the possibility of early drop offs during the interview so I assumed you understood it isn't something I offer. If this happens again I will be forced to (terminate care/charge a bigger fee/ be unable to open early) etc"
Even better!!

Nip it in the bud now or you will be dealing with it all the time.
lovemydaycare0912 02:49 PM 08-31-2016
I didn't read all the posts but someone said as soon as they attach a fee, they no longer need you. MAN is this true. There was 1 week I had 2 or 3 dcps asking me to let their child come in earlier and some were texting me super late. I kindly sent out an addendum that the fee would be $5 every $15 or any part thereof to be asked ONLY during business hours, and if approved, cash must be paid 1 business day in advance. If you no show, fee is nonrefundable. Let me tell you, no one has asked me since.
WBee 06:42 PM 08-31-2016
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Yes you can charge!!!!
They're not new clients. I sent home a note and spoke with dcd at pickup
Yay backbone!
WBee 06:44 PM 08-31-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Even better!!

Nip it in the bud now or you will be dealing with it all the time.
They're not new clients. Spoke with dcd and sent a note home today. I'm also sending an addendum to all parents next week regarding late/early fees. Backbone!
Mike 07:46 PM 08-31-2016
Yay backbone!
Good thing to have, and to grow.
284878 11:52 AM 09-01-2016
Sorry your drop off time is in 25 minutes, this is my family time right now. I will see you in 25 minutes, thank you.
Tags:early arrival - policy, early arrival fee
Reply Up