Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Another Question: Who Has Babies & How Does That Work With The 2-4 Yr Olds?
coolconfidentme 04:06 AM 01-15-2013
Do the babies take all your attention? Does the noise from the other kids bother them? How much space separates them from the other kids? Are you always on the other kids to stay away from the pack/play? What should I look out for? THANKS!!!
LoraJenkins 04:13 AM 01-15-2013
I have both babies & toddlers/preschoolers together. I have never had any major issues. The older ones learn quickly what is and isn't allowed. The babies do require more of your time but, the older ones are more independent so it balances out. I have a play zone just for the littlest that the older children are now allowed in. I do separate them during nap so the baby does keep the older children up if it takes them a bit to fall asleep.
CedarCreek 04:47 AM 01-15-2013
I have a 10 month old and then everyone else is over two. I find myself having to constantly redirect kids away from her or telling them to quiet down because the baby is sleeping. I try to schedule our activities around her nap time but sometimes we don't get to them because she won't nap and is super fussy, which she has been a lot lately. Teething has been hard on her. She is leaving on the 23rd, after that I may not take anymore infants for a while.
coolconfidentme 05:36 AM 01-15-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:
I have a 10 month old and then everyone else is over two. I find myself having to constantly redirect kids away from her or telling them to quiet down because the baby is sleeping. I try to schedule our activities around her nap time but sometimes we don't get to them because she won't nap and is super fussy, which she has been a lot lately. Teething has been hard on her. She is leaving on the 23rd, after that I may not take anymore infants for a while.
This is my fear. I do have a separate sleeping room for the older kids & we have no balls or throwing toys. I start a baby today...., gulp.
Willow 06:05 AM 01-15-2013
I've got two seven month olds (they came at 6 and 8 weeks old respectively) and everyone else is ages 2-5.

I don't keep them separated save for having access to my back playroom. I don't bring the babies back there really except to sleep. That's the only time they're in any sort of pack and play (I think in some states providers aren't even allowed to use those to segregate kids?). Their equipment and toys are all in my living room area. The older kids know to leave the babies alone and since I don't allow screaming or running in the house the noise isn't an issue for them. The littles did get used to the regular chatter during their nap times very quickly.

The bigs can interact with the littles, set toys in front of them, make silly faces at them and read them books but from day one I've put a sort of invisible bubble around them. I told the bigs because they play so hard they have germs the littles don't and aren't used to, and touching them can get them sick. It was a great way to explain why its so important to keep their hands to themselves and an opportunity to reinforce why we always wash our hands.
Blackcat31 06:41 AM 01-15-2013
I have kids from age 7 months to 5 years old. ALL of them are trained from a very early age, that they are to NEVER to touch the baby. Ever.

Like Willow said, the babies all have an invisible bubble and none of the other kids have everhad any trouble "seeing" and staying out of this bubble.
3amazingkiddos 07:20 AM 01-15-2013
I've always had babies and toddlers/preschoolers and have never had a problem. I have a separate infant room for naps, but other than that we're always together as a group. The babies adapt to the noise, some quicker than others, but they do get used to it (I have all boys, so my house is very noisy!) The older ones also know that the babies need space and so far we've had no problems.
mbullette 07:25 AM 01-15-2013
I have two babies who are 4 and 6 months. Both are extremely demanding and fussy most of the day. One is just a very cranky baby and has been since he was born. I honestly prefer the toddlers over the babies but that is just me. I have learned that I will ONLY take 1 baby under 12 months and the rest must be older. I think if the babies were not so fussy it would be different but I cant hold them all day long.

Good luck!!!
coolconfidentme 08:27 AM 01-15-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
...from day one I've put a sort of invisible bubble around them.
For the last couple of weeks, I've had the pack/play up & up set a boundary. We have been talking about how they can't touch the baby at all.

He is now here now & the DCKs were curious for about 15 minutes & are over him, lol. Wish me luck!!!
CedarCreek 11:49 AM 01-15-2013
Good luck!
laundrymom 12:02 PM 01-15-2013
You'll do great. The kids get used to each other. Consistancy is the key. I sleep all mine in same room starting with their first day in care. They adjust, you figure out how to make things work for you. Have fun w it.
LK5kids 12:10 PM 01-15-2013
Originally Posted by 3amazingkiddos:
I've always had babies and toddlers/preschoolers and have never had a problem. I have a separate infant room for naps, but other than that we're always together as a group. The babies adapt to the noise, some quicker than others, but they do get used to it (I have all boys, so my house is very noisy!) The older ones also know that the babies need space and so far we've had no problems.
Same here.....never much problem. But I have never had an infant younger than 5 mo. Never had more than one infant. This August I will have a 4mo. old and an 8 mo. Old. We will see how that goes.
itlw8 12:10 PM 01-15-2013
My babies sleep in an area behind a shelf. the kids do not play in the block area during naps because that is the shelf but other than that the oise does ot bother the infants. They get used to it.

I do stay near the infants and toddlers by moving them around but we do great. In the summer I use a plastic swimming pool for them to crawl around in outside to keep them from eating the grass.

It works in a large family and it works for me.
greentea78 03:05 PM 01-15-2013
I have always had 2 babies with the rest being between 2 and 4. You will develop a routine and the older ones learn how to act around the littles. I've never had an issue.

Originally Posted by itlw8:
In the summer I use a plastic swimming pool for them to crawl around in outside to keep them from eating the grass.
I love this idea.

Tanya
Willow 04:34 PM 01-15-2013
How did it go today??!
coolconfidentme 04:49 AM 01-16-2013
How did it go today??!
I had a full house with the baby & all went remarkable well. I only had one child who kept asking to touch him. (Not on my watch!) He is 3 months old & when I was in the kitchen cooking, I put him in the high chair & 'chatted' with/at him while I prepared the meals. He was super fascinated when the kids rode the big wheels around & wanted to watch them, instead of eat. The mom was pleased & said he looked happy & well rested when she picked him up. YAY US!!!

(Thank you everyone for your support & advice!)
allsmiles 08:33 AM 01-16-2013
Originally Posted by greentea78:
I have always had 2 babies with the rest being between 2 and 4. You will develop a routine and the older ones learn how to act around the littles. I've never had an issue.

I love this idea.

Tanya
me too.. i cant wait to get one for spring!! (the idea about the swimming pool)
My3cents 10:31 AM 01-16-2013
I've got two seven month olds (they came at 6 and 8 weeks old respectively) and everyone else is ages 2-5.

I don't keep them separated save for having access to my back playroom. I don't bring the babies back there really except to sleep. That's the only time they're in any sort of pack and play (I think in some states providers aren't even allowed to use those to segregate kids?). Their equipment and toys are all in my living room area. The older kids know to leave the babies alone and since I don't allow screaming or running in the house the noise isn't an issue for them. The littles did get used to the regular chatter during their nap times very quickly.

The bigs can interact with the littles, set toys in front of them, make silly faces at them and read them books but from day one I've put a sort of invisible bubble around them. I told the bigs because they play so hard they have germs the littles don't and aren't used to, and touching them can get them sick. It was a great way to explain why its so important to keep their hands to themselves and an opportunity to reinforce why we always wash our hands.
How to you stop screaming and running and loud in the house? What is your secret?
Reply Up