Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pacifiers
Core12 03:19 PM 02-15-2018
What are your thoughts on pacifiers? I have a 22 month old who comes with his blankie, paci and typically is carried in w/out shoes each day. His speech imo is suffering due to his pacifier usage and he has a limited vocabulary. After seeing his dr a few months ago for a reg checkup his dad bragged to me about how the dr told him his son was doing great (implying his son was meeting all milestones).
I know it’s wrong to compare this dub to the other children around his age here, but, it’s hard not to do it. He doesn't have a comprehension problem but rather just the inability to formulate his words.
I want to help him so each day I put his pacifier in his cubby and he doesn’t use it here at any time including nap time. He doesn’t have a problem with it either. But, the second his parents come to pick him up, he whines for his ”blankie and paci” and they get it to him ASAP.
If I thought they would take my advice, I would say something, but his mother is resistant to change. For example, most recently I told all of my parents that I was implementing a “no diaper bag policy”. Everyone complied, except his parents who decided it was optional and brought it again the next day. After I explained the policy again, the dcd smiled condescendly and asked, “what about the medication—-like I had not even thought of it”. I stood my ground and explained not needed a diaper bag for medication.
Anyway, my question is...has anyone enforced a “no pacifier policy” in order to do what is best for the child, or am I out of line?
Country Kids 03:23 PM 02-15-2018
I haven't had one for a few years, but when they walk in I either hand it to parent or put it in cubby
Claraskids 03:26 PM 02-15-2018
As long as the infants aren't mobile, they can have their pacifier as needed. Once they become mobile, they get it at nap time only. I am not hunting for pacifiers all over my house. After their first birthday, pacifiers are put away upon arrival and given to parents at pickup. I don't care what they do at home, but here all kids are weaned off by fourteen months.
Yes, I have had three year olds and up sucking on a paci when they come in. I just smile and respond with "oh, you must have found an old plug at the bottom of the toy box." Usually their parents look at little sheepish and leave it in the car from then on.
Unregistered 04:56 PM 02-15-2018
What do you do when you have parents who insist their infant has a pacifier, but it pops out of the baby's mouth many times per minute, which means you have to constantly stop what you are doing and put it back in the baby's mouth?
HappyEverAfter 05:51 PM 02-15-2018
I allow pacifiers up to age 2 but with rules. I require that they leave two here for their child rather than bringing it back and forth each day since I find it easy to recognize whose is whose when they’ve always had the same one. In the 7 months I’ve been open not one pacifier has been lost and every child’s back up pacifier is still sitting unused in their cubby. It’s also nice knowing that if a child is sniffly or starting not to get sick that I can wash the pacifier myself and not wonder if parents are remembering to clean them regularly. At age 1, the pacifiers become nap time only. The pacifier stays in the child’s crib or with their nap mat for nap time use only. Under age 1, they can have the pacifier whenever they want but if they’re constantly taking it out and putting it down or dropping it then I take it and put it in their cubby until naptime or otherwise needed. After age 2, the pacifiers go back home. Any pacifiers in a child’s mouth when they arrive, regardless of age, are removed and handed back to parents right away.
HappyEverAfter 05:54 PM 02-15-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
What do you do when you have parents who insist their infant has a pacifier, but it pops out of the baby's mouth many times per minute, which means you have to constantly stop what you are doing and put it back in the baby's mouth?
I’d replace the pacifier a couple times and after that just stop. If the child needed or really wanted it, they’d keep it in their mouth typically and I’m not going to force them to take one if they keep spitting it out.
storybookending 07:06 PM 02-15-2018
I do similar to what a PP mentioned. As soon as the child becomes mobile it is for nap time only. I also require two pacifiers be left here so their isn’t any back and forth/forgetting. I have one that still uses it and it just remains in his pack n play. He comes in with one in his mouth and mom puts it in her pocket when she leaves and gives it back for the car ride home. I don’t care if he has it until he is 5 at home. I am not his parent and I am not responsible for what happens once the child is out of my care. I don’t really have any plans of taking it from the child at nap time unless mom and dad do the same at home. I have other things to worry about that don’t include things I have no business worrying about. It doesn’t effect my day in the slightest.
Cat Herder 06:16 AM 02-16-2018
I can't stand them. They are a infectious disease transmission device and a behavioral issue bane on society.

But I allow them because the studies have indicated they may play a role in preventing SIDS and some infants seem to really need them.

Once the risks outweigh the benefits I toss them.
Blackcat31 06:34 AM 02-16-2018
I allow kids to have pacifiers until their parents wean them or until they are no longer enrolled in my program.

I refuse to do the hard work of weaning a child from a pacifier when most parents will pop it in their mouth LONG after I've spent days weaning them off.... so my response to weaning is..."Your child, your job."

As for pacifiers in child care, I would never prevent a child from using theirs ANY time they want it. However, they can only have it in ONE spot and can not leave that quiet spot with it. They can sit in the quiet spot for as long as they feel comfortable doing so. If they choose to leave, the paci stays.

Blankets are the same BUT I do not allow blankets to be brought back and forth to care. Either I provider the blanket or the parent does but once it's here it stays here. I launder it myself but it stays here. No back and forth.

If a child wants to snuggle their blanket, they are free to do so in the quiet area just as they are free to use their paci. Blanket stays if they leave the spot. Sit as long as you (child) needs to.

It's NOT a fight I am willing to participate in and I truly believe some kids do need that security and comfort so I certainly won't deny them that right.
Tags:pacifiers
Reply Up