Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cruel or Okay?
midaycare 05:34 PM 01-11-2015
I have one dcb, here 2 days a week. Age 18 months. He is a huge stinker when it comes to naps. I've tried everything with him, but he is happy to spend nap time talking loudly, trying to wake everyone up. I have tried a pack and play and mat. Even had him literally 2 inches from me. Nothing works.

Last Friday I put him in a bedroom upstairs, away from the others. Everyone else sleeps together in a big room in the daycare. He cried but did sleep after 10 minutes. A full 90 minutes.

Is it cruel to separate him - and only him?
Unregistered 06:10 PM 01-11-2015
No, I don't think it is cruel. He is obviously tired if he slept that long. 18 month olds understand a lot more than they are given credit for. 10 minutes isn't that long to cry for. He was probably just trying to make you feel bad so he could have his way.
Laurel 06:17 PM 01-11-2015
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I have one dcb, here 2 days a week. Age 18 months. He is a huge stinker when it comes to naps. I've tried everything with him, but he is happy to spend nap time talking loudly, trying to wake everyone up. I have tried a pack and play and mat. Even had him literally 2 inches from me. Nothing works.

Last Friday I put him in a bedroom upstairs, away from the others. Everyone else sleeps together in a big room in the daycare. He cried but did sleep after 10 minutes. A full 90 minutes.

Is it cruel to separate him - and only him?
Heck no as long as you can properly supervise him where he is. I used to use 3 rooms and separate as much as possible. In later years, I got them in one room though. Whatever way they sleep the best is what I would do. Most probably he has his own room at home. What is the difference? Do what works for you, he'll adjust.

Laurel
Heidi 06:21 PM 01-11-2015
Nope..I'd leave it like that for a while. Once he's a little older and naps more happily (he will), he can earn his way back to the others.

I have one little guy here who is just 2. I've had him PT since he was 3 months old, and he's always been a hit-or-miss napper. When he doesn't nap well, he sings, howls, talks, plays, sings, is quiet, howls, yells, and plays for 2 hours of the 3 that the others sleep. It's been that way for well over a year. Some days, he settles right down and sleeps 3 hours. There's just no telling.

I've tried getting him up and offering quiet activities, but he has NO self control: He runs and yells and bangs on doors. We "compromised" with a couple books, a stuffed animal, and a toy car. It works for him.
midaycare 04:03 AM 01-12-2015
I'm feeling better now, thanks everyone! I was just feeling guilty for separating him and only him.
Meyou 04:12 AM 01-12-2015
I always separate the little ones until they can sleep on a cot in the same room as everyone else..
Shell 06:10 AM 01-12-2015
As long as you are within regulations, I don't see a problem with it at all. I know when I had ds, it was recommended to let baby sleep around noises (TV, dishwasher, etc), so he could get used to noise, and still sleep. I think some parents really keep it quiet at home during naps, and some kids have a hard time adjusting to the group aspect of home daycare. If it makes your life easier, and the child is getting the benefit of a nap which he absolutely needs at his age, there's nothing cruel about that!
daycarediva 08:31 AM 01-12-2015
Originally Posted by Shell:
As long as you are within regulations, I don't see a problem with it at all. I know when I had ds, it was recommended to let baby sleep around noises (TV, dishwasher, etc), so he could get used to noise, and still sleep. I think some parents really keep it quiet at home during naps, and some kids have a hard time adjusting to the group aspect of home daycare. If it makes your life easier, and the child is getting the benefit of a nap which he absolutely needs at his age, there's nothing cruel about that!

I separate a 3yo in the hallway, away from all friends because he is a LOUD kid, sighing, yawning, talking, non-stop and it disrupts everyone.
melilley 11:24 AM 01-13-2015
Not cruel at all. I have most of the kids here separated. One sleeps in the play room because he will rest, but takes forever to go to sleep and is noisy and doesn't sleep very well. Another wakes up and cries, but will go back to sleep so she's in my room. And the other 2 sleep in my sons room, but at staggered times.
sharlan 11:27 AM 01-13-2015
I don't think it's cruel at all. My only issue would be that he's upstairs while everyone else is downstairs.
midaycare 12:11 PM 01-13-2015
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I don't think it's cruel at all. My only issue would be that he's upstairs while everyone else is downstairs.
It did give me a lot of extra steps on my pedometer on Friday!
daycare 12:43 PM 01-13-2015
as others have said, as long as you within your regs its more than ok.

I think it would be cruel to keep the kid in there for your sake and the others. They won't get to rest and you won't get the break you need.

We have to do what we have to do to make everything work.

I have two right now that are separated into the back room because they are chatter boxes.
midaycare 01:42 PM 01-13-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
as others have said, as long as you within your regs its more than ok.

I think it would be cruel to keep the kid in there for your sake and the others. They won't get to rest and you won't get the break you need.

We have to do what we have to do to make everything work.

I have two right now that are separated into the back room because they are chatter boxes.
I'm feeling much, much better about this now!
NightOwl 02:57 PM 01-13-2015
I separate too! Some states don't allow it and I feel sorry for people operating there! I keep an eye on them all throughout naptime, but the noisemakers are always separated from the ones who appreciate their naptimes.
Angelsj 03:20 PM 01-13-2015
Actually, I have a 3.5 yo that sleeps in a separate room. I know you can't diagnose this young, but trust me, this little guy has ADHD. He just cannot sleep in a room with other kids. He is fine with his own room and the monitor works just fine. He doesn't feel left out, he is quite at home.
Turquoise14 08:09 AM 01-14-2015
Nobody sleeps in the same room here. I used to keep the toddlers separate and the two infants together, but it just works so much better for everyone to have their own space. They sleep so much better. One of the infants thinks it's time to get up if he catches anyone's eye, so I keep him where he can't see anyone and he sleeps at least 90 minutes. If someone is crying for a while and doesn't settle down, I'll go in a readjust blankets pat them and leave just to make sure there isn't a dirty diaper or lost pacifier or something.
Tags:punish, punishment - fair
Reply Up