Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The Strangest Thing Washed Ashore!
Sugar Magnolia 10:47 AM 10-26-2011
Yesterday, an 8 foot tall giant lego man (named Ego Leonard) washed ashore in our part of Florida. He is a mystery that continues to unravel. In the meantime, he has been taken into custody by the Sherriff's Dept. The article in today's paper created quite a stir among the kids! We want to adopt him! The man who found him gets to keep him if he is not claimed by anyone in 90 days! We want him to live happily in our play yard so we can climb and sit on him when he's laying down, or to poke his head above our fence and wave to traffic when standing up. How cool is that!?!? Any ideas how we can mount a "Free Ego Leonard" publicity campaign and bring this wonderfully weird item to our school? www.heraldtribune.com
laundrymom 10:56 AM 10-26-2011
Write to your editor, an open letter to the finder, owner, whoever might lay claim to him. Tell them you are asking to adopt him so you can use him in your lessons.

Lessons about currents, pollution, perseverance, get real crazy with it!! I will write a letter for support on your behalf. I'm sure a lot of us would!!! Pm me if you want me to!!
Michael 11:12 AM 10-26-2011
Sounds like a Lego Land advertising stunt.
Sugar Magnolia 11:19 AM 10-26-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
Sounds like a Lego Land advertising stunt.
Lego Land has denied involvement! Lol! I don't care how or why he came to my beach, but he's here now and he should come live with us!
Laundrymom! Yes! Open letter! I wonder if the paper will enertain this idea? I googled the finder, found a phone # for him, no answer yet
Blackcat31 11:22 AM 10-26-2011
OMG!! That is so rediculously cool!! I would love to have him too!

Do what laundrymom suggested and maybe start up a FB page petitioning custody of him temporarily with the hopes to gain full custody.

Too cool!! I love Legos!!
SilverSabre25 11:23 AM 10-26-2011
It sounds to me like the guy that's supposedly behind the making of them dropped 8 or more into the ocean somewhere and is hoping to find out where they go...one apparently washed up in 2007 in Holland and 2008 in England, now 2011 in Florida. That makes three, and apparently this one had an 8 on the back. Interesting...
countrymom 11:23 AM 10-26-2011
when we went to florida this year, ds was so devistated that lego land was closed (can you imagine, I drove 2 days to get to florida) so we are hoping that when we go next year lego land will be open.
youretooloud 11:28 AM 10-26-2011
I'm having trouble understanding his T-shirt. I'm thinking it was made in China.

If you do put in a plea, promise the current owner that you plan to change his shirt and give him a more uplifting message. And, promise to take him to lego land at least once a year to visit his relatives.
misspollywog 11:37 AM 10-26-2011
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Yesterday, an 8 foot tall giant lego man (named Ego Leonard) washed ashore in our part of Florida. He is a mystery that continues to unravel. In the meantime, he has been taken into custody by the Sherriff's Dept. The article in today's paper created quite a stir among the kids! We want to adopt him! The man who found him gets to keep him if he is not claimed by anyone in 90 days! We want him to live happily in our play yard so we can climb and sit on him when he's laying down, or to poke his head above our fence and wave to traffic when standing up. How cool is that!?!? Any ideas how we can mount a "Free Ego Leonard" publicity campaign and bring this wonderfully weird item to our school? www.heraldtribune.com
Oh, no you don't!! I want him to come live with ME!!!! He'd SURELY love these long, wintry winters up here at Yellowstone!!!!!

Sign my petition and I'll sign yours!
Sugar Magnolia 11:39 AM 10-26-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
It sounds to me like the guy that's supposedly behind the making of them dropped 8 or more into the ocean somewhere and is hoping to find out where they go...one apparently washed up in 2007 in Holland and 2008 in England, now 2011 in Florida. That makes three, and apparently this one had an 8 on the back. Interesting...
Fascinating! LOVE him! Need him in my life!
Sugar Magnolia 11:41 AM 10-26-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
when we went to florida this year, ds was so devistated that lego land was closed (can you imagine, I drove 2 days to get to florida) so we are hoping that when we go next year lego land will be open.
Awww that's too bad. Its the former Cypress Gardens site. They left the gardens and water ski show at least! Can't wait to go!!!
2ndFamilyDC 11:42 AM 10-26-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Do what laundrymom suggested and maybe start up a FB page petitioning custody of him temporarily with the hopes to gain full custody.

Great idea, sure hope it works out and you get custody of him.
youretooloud 11:42 AM 10-26-2011
Hey... what about if you claim him??? Say you and he were out on a little boating trip when he fell overboard.

Or, he was trying to train for his next triathlon, and never made it home from his swim.
Michael 11:44 AM 10-26-2011
You girls are great at projecting.
Sugar Magnolia 11:46 AM 10-26-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I'm having trouble understanding his T-shirt. I'm thinking it was made in China.

If you do put in a plea, promise the current owner that you plan to change his shirt and give him a more uplifting message. And, promise to take him to lego land at least once a year to visit his relatives.
Netherlands I think! Yes a new shirt perhaps. But he is 8 feet tall and 100+ lbs so we may have to build him so new relatives! LOL!
2ndFamilyDC 11:47 AM 10-26-2011
Hey... what about if you claim him??? Say you and he were out on a little boating trip when he fell overboard.

Or, he was trying to train for his next triathlon, and never made it home from his swim.

Love how you think.
Sugar Magnolia 11:49 AM 10-26-2011
Originally Posted by misspollywog:
Oh, no you don't!! I want him to come live with ME!!!! He'd SURELY love these long, wintry winters up here at Yellowstone!!!!!

Sign my petition and I'll sign yours!
Ok, deal Mspollywog! But he's gonna cost a fortune to ship to you! LOL! And we can just drag him 3 blocks with 15 kids and ropes! LOL!
Sugar Magnolia 11:55 AM 10-26-2011
Michael, the finder is talking of putting him on ebay! I hope you will buy him for us if it comes to that! LOL!!!! Just kidding (kind of).
Michael 12:00 PM 10-26-2011
Michael, the finder is talking of putting him on ebay! I hope you will buy him for us if it comes to that! LOL!!!! Just kidding (kind of).
Uummm, what does a box of Legos cost?
youretooloud 12:00 PM 10-26-2011

Like a giant flat Stanley. He could live all over the country. I'd totally take him to the gym with me. He'd look awesome on the treadmill. (after I got him a new damn shirt)
Blackcat31 12:02 PM 10-26-2011
Like a giant flat Stanley. He could live all over the country. I'd totally take him to the gym with me. He'd look awesome on the treadmill. (after I got him a new damn shirt)
He could ride in the front seat for car pool lanes too!
Blackcat31 12:03 PM 10-26-2011
A box of 250 standard Lego blocks probably runs about $40.
Michael 12:07 PM 10-26-2011
I can manage that price if someone wants to take the time making the man of their dreams.
Sugar Magnolia 12:09 PM 10-26-2011
And he's 8 feet tall Michael! I'd say about 20 boxes, minimum. So about $800. BUT SOMEONE (the finder) SHOULD DONATE HIM!!!! He will be sooooo loved! I'm just kidding Michael, no one should have to buy him. I think a "Free Ego" movement could work! I'm thinking I'll make a banner! LOL!!!!
Blackcat31 12:12 PM 10-26-2011
And he's 8 feet tall Michael! I'd say about 20 boxes, minimum. So about $800. BUT SOMEONE (the finder) SHOULD DONATE HIM!!!! He will be sooooo loved! I'm just kidding Michael, no one should have to buy him. I think a "Free Ego" movement could work! I'm thinking I'll make a banner! LOL!!!!
Maybe "Lego, my Ego" ???

Here is one that is 19" for $400+ !!! http://www.ebay.com/itm/19-Tall-Gian...item4cfb284835
nannyde 12:43 PM 10-26-2011
I don't know about free legos but set legos go for anywhere from seven cents to twelve cents per piece.

If you buy a thousand piece set it will be more toward twelve cents each if it's star wars or another licensed product set. The more minifigs in it the higher the cost.

I TRY to get Cohle's at no more than a dime a piece. The 1500 set pieces for the 14-19 age group are around 150 plus tax.

When you buy the little kiddy lego sets like Bob the Builder sets it can get a bit more per piece.
MyAngels 12:45 PM 10-26-2011
OMG!! That is so rediculously cool!! I would love to have him too!

You could photoshop the picture of him from the article into some pics of your daycare, showing how you and the kids would take such great care of him.

I bet if you did a FB page and posted a link here the word would spread quickly and you'd have a phenomenon on your hands.

Good luck with the custody plea!
SilverSabre25 12:47 PM 10-26-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I don't know about free legos but set legos go for anywhere from seven cents to twelve cents per piece.

If you buy a thousand piece set it will be more toward twelve cents each if it's star wars or another licensed product set. The more minifigs in it the higher the cost.

I TRY to get Cohle's at no more than a dime a piece. The 1500 set pieces for the 14-19 age group are around 150 plus tax.

When you buy the little kiddy lego sets like Bob the Builder sets it can get a bit more per piece.
I cry a little inside each time I remember how my mom sold off my Lego collection years ago...I had a lot, mostly the older castle stuff and the basic sets. Man, what I wouldn't give to have those back...
youretooloud 12:54 PM 10-26-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
if it's star wars or another licensed product set. The more minifigs in it the higher the cost.

He said we should build the perfect man.... Star Wars wouldn't be my perfect choice.... but, I wonder if they have a "Car mechanic/computer whiz" set?
MsMe 12:57 PM 10-26-2011
we have a big box of legos ( about 800 pieces) that my little brothers collected over the years that the kids LOVE.

The DCM of the brothers that love the set the most drools over them everyday they have them out....she has been looking for a lot of legos on ebay or craigslist for months (for christmas).
Sugar Magnolia 04:34 PM 10-26-2011
The word on the street is Ego Leonard is a hot ticket and many people are lining up to enjoy the company of this unique, large, fiberglass, lovable and friendly hero. Ego says he hopes to meet new people and see new places, so I think my chances of adopting him are slim. Now, instead, I hope he will choose to come visit us for a day or two before he moves on to see the rest of our great state and perhaps, the country. If you ever get a chance to meet him, please do and tell him Sugar Mag sent 'ya. Thank you Ego Leonard, for inspiring a group of preschoolers to think outside the box. They were ready to march 3 blocks and drag a 100 lb, 8 ft tall Lego man 'home' with ropes! Hilarious and inspiring.
misspollywog 05:48 PM 10-26-2011
Ok, deal Mspollywog! But he's gonna cost a fortune to ship to you! LOL! And we can just drag him 3 blocks with 15 kids and ropes! LOL!
Awww!

Nothing cool ever washes up on the beaches here in Idaho!! Lucky!!
Sugar Magnolia 10:03 AM 10-27-2011
While we may be totally shot down on adopting Ego, we ARE active in the "Free Ego!" movement in town. We made a huge banner for the front of the building! We colored Ego during art time! He's just too popular to adopt The parks want him, the bayfront wants him, the library wants him, the list is soooo long. We are all hoping he will come visit, still trying for that! THANKS all you wonderful people for your wonderful ideas!
KEG123 10:40 AM 10-27-2011
Haha this is awesome.
Tags:article, legos, weird
Reply Up