Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>New York Laws
Wendy/Jason 08:16 AM 09-17-2009
I have my kids with me (Buffalo, Ny) during the summer months but they come up from Atlanta, Georgia where the schools are released 1 Month Earlier than here in NY. I tried to get my 2 kids (11 and 9) into daycare during the day but all the daycare centers advised that it was against NYS law for them to accept the children because they are of school age and they can only watch children if they were below the age of not being in school (5 or younger). However they stated when school is out for the summer or the afterschool program staten then they can watch because they are no longer bound by that Law.

I need to know what law this is to where they cannot mix preschool aged kids with school aged kids???

Any response can be sent to wolfsong@juno.com or left here. Thank you
ConcernedMotherof2 11:32 AM 09-17-2009
It is against the law for school age children to not be in school when school is in session. However, since your children are residents of a different state, where school is already out, you are not breaking any truancy laws.

It is going to be difficult for you to find a center that is equipped to handle school age children when school is in session in your area. They staff differently during the school year. You may have to find a private home day care with a provider who understands your situation or hire a part-time nanny.
Reply Up