Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Blanket carrier
Unregistered 03:04 PM 12-18-2014
How do I get dcb 2 yrs old to stop taking his blankent with him every where when he has it he won't play or interact with the other kids and has his thumb in mouth and blanket in his other hand. He screams if I don't let him have it outside of nap time. Advise on this issue would be great.
Blackcat31 03:07 PM 12-18-2014
When weaning a blanket carrier from their blanket, I allow them to have it but only in a designated area. As long as you stay in that area (big bean bag) you can have the blanket.

Of course, we make the activities, games and fun the other kids are doing so much fun that the blanket carrier usually comes around and happily ditches their blanket.

Rinse and repeat until cured.
jenboo 03:22 PM 12-18-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
How do I get dcb 2 yrs old to stop taking his blankent with him every where when he has it he won't play or interact with the other kids and has his thumb in mouth and blanket in his other hand. He screams if I don't let him have it outside of nap time. Advise on this issue would be great.
I tell them that blanket is only for nap. I have them walk with me to the nap room and tell their blanket bye. Then we walk out without the blanket.
They have some meltdowns at first but eventually get it.
Meeko 05:55 PM 12-18-2014
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I tell them that blanket is only for nap. I have them walk with me to the nap room and tell their blanket bye. Then we walk out without the blanket.
They have some meltdowns at first but eventually get it.
I now supply all blankets myself so that I can control how and how often they are washed.

But even when I allowed them from home, I made it clear that they stayed in their cubbies and were only for nap. I tell the parents that toddlers dragging blankets around is a tripping hazard for the other children, and me. So not allowed.

If I interviewed a family where the child simply cannot live without it....I would pass on taking them.

Do just like Jenboo suggests and get tough. No option for carrying the blanket.
Second Home 03:24 AM 12-19-2014
If they must have it then they need to sit outside of the playroom on a blanket . There they can snuggle , hold it and even suck their thumb . Then when they are done they have to wash their hands and can come back to play .
Kimskiddos 06:08 AM 12-19-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
When weaning a blanket carrier from their blanket, I allow them to have it but only in a designated area. As long as you stay in that area (big bean bag) you can have the blanket.

Of course, we make the activities, games and fun the other kids are doing so much fun that the blanket carrier usually comes around and happily ditches their blanket.

This is exactly what I do too. Also thumb suckers can only suck in the designated spot.
jenboo 08:48 AM 12-19-2014

One of my DCB cant handle having it in the same room. It has to be completely out of sight. Of its in the same room., he won't budge from that spot all day and he yells, screams and hits its anyone comes near him/his blanket. He is terrified someone is going to take/touch it. This is why I have it go to a separate room completely.
Blackcat31 10:22 AM 12-19-2014
Originally Posted by jenboo:
One of my DCB cant handle having it in the same room. It has to be completely out of sight. Of its in the same room., he won't budge from that spot all day and he yells, screams and hits its anyone comes near him/his blanket. He is terrified someone is going to take/touch it. This is why I have it go to a separate room completely.
In cases like that....I wouldn't allow it to come to daycare at all.

That is way too fixated for me and there are usually other underlying behavioral issues with kids that are that attached to their security items.
nannyde 11:19 AM 12-19-2014
Leave it in the car. It is paralyzing his play. It's not a comfort item. It escalates him.
Givingthemgrace 11:35 AM 12-19-2014

That is way too fixated for me and there are usually other underlying behavioral issues with kids that are that attached to their security items.
My DCB does this too! Don't even touch his blanket. I wonder why he's so attached to it, but when his parents get here he just stares at them.
jenboo 01:23 PM 12-19-2014

He doesnt bring it anymore, but he did fine once it was in the other room.
He gets really fixated on things. Ive had to take specific toys out of the daycare room because he was caught up in them and would flip if anyone touched it or came near when he was playing with it.
We are finally getting over the hoarding. He used to garb a specific type of toy and run if anyone came near him. He wouldn't even play with it because he was so worried someone was going to take it.
AmyKidsCo 01:29 PM 12-22-2014
Honestly, I let them carry their loveys around if they want. When I find a lovey on the floor I put it in the child's cubby, but the child is welcome to take it back out. IME the less I try to control the lovey the less the child needs it. Besides, I'd totally freak out if I was away from home and had to put my purse or my phone somewhere and leave it - why would I expect a child to be any different about their security item?
delferka 05:53 PM 12-23-2014
One of my dkg's was twirling around with her blanket and fell and broke her tibia. Blankies are for bedtime only now! They can go kiss it if need be but they understand
delferka 05:54 PM 12-23-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Leave it in the car. It is paralyzing his play. It's not a comfort item. It escalates him.
Agree
Reply Up