Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bum Is Fire Engine Red
nikia 07:41 AM 02-11-2011
I have a little guy 12 months who's bottom is so red and raw it looks like its starting to blister. He is on an antibiotic and mom called the doctor. Doctor said it from that and to keep it dry and not to use any ointment or anything. I have been checking him every 30 to 45 mins and keeping him dry. Is there anything else I can do for him? I have never seen a bottom so red and raw.
dEHmom 07:46 AM 02-11-2011
yes luke warm baking soda bath. sit in it for 15 minutes.

pat dry, and then use cool low setting on blow dryer to dry it out.

My little girl got bad rashes, spread down her legs, usually yeast. she would scream and shake violently trying to not urinate. Air burned it. I of the baths and she was fine.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2039021_quic...aper-rash.html
Little People 07:50 AM 02-11-2011
awww poor little guy. I can't believe the Dr. said not to put anything on it. But I am old school and I would use Aveno Oatmeal soaks, but I know you can't do this, because you would have to put him in the bathtub.

Maybe Nan can help, she is sooooo updated!!
KEG123 07:52 AM 02-11-2011
Vaseline and Aquaphor. Poor guy. Is there any way you can keep him diaperless, and contained somewhere (so he doesnt go everywhere?)
nikia 07:58 AM 02-11-2011
Mom was using the aquaphor and doc said nope it keeps it to moist?? I don't when my girls got red from antibotics my peds doc gave me nyastatin (sp?) and it cleared it up right away. I may try diaperless when he sleeps. You think that would be okay by putting towels under him? Otherwise he's a mover and I don't think I can contain him.
SilverSabre25 07:58 AM 02-11-2011
Originally Posted by KEG123:
Vaseline and Aquaphor. Poor guy. Is there any way you can keep him diaperless, and contained somewhere (so he doesnt go everywhere?)
Diaperless is my best suggestion, too--bonus points if he can be diaperless in some sunshine. Also, a good barrier cream (can NOT believe doc said to put nothing on it!) or baking soda bath.
MN Mom 07:59 AM 02-11-2011
My son used to get rashes that bad...they would actually blister and bleed. One trick I found that worked wonders was Liquid Maalox, mint flavor. I would put it on a cotton ball and rub it on his bum after it was thoroughly dried (using blow drier on cool). The maalox would help with the acidity of the urine and poo against the skin. I swear by it. I used that in conjunction with Triple Paste (best stuff ever!).
dEHmom 08:00 AM 02-11-2011
Originally Posted by Little People:
awww poor little guy. I can't believe the Dr. said not to put anything on it. But I am old school and I would use Aveno Oatmeal soaks, but I know you can't do this, because you would have to put him in the bathtub.

Maybe Nan can help, she is sooooo updated!!
Reason for putting nothing on it, is because you are locking in the moisture.

You need to dry it out, and keep it dry, otherwise the bacteria will multiply. remember warm moist areas are bad bad bad.

We did the baking soda bath, and it instantly helped to heal it. She ended up relieving herself after 5 mins in the bath, she was holding it for hours on end because it hurt to go.

Then I would gently dry it very carefully (no rubbing, just patting gently) then if I needed to I would use the hair dryer on low cool. I also then used canestin cream from yeast and put a thin layer of this on there (this WAS recommended by her doctor though).
MN Mom 08:09 AM 02-11-2011
I was just talking to my mom on the phone, and she use to use old fashion Ivory Soap to wash me and let me air dry. I guess I had horrid rashes as a child, though I come from a cloth diaper family.
nikia 08:37 AM 02-11-2011
Thank you. I am going to go the diaperless route here but am going to tell mom the rest of the tricks. Thanks again!
countrymom 08:45 AM 02-11-2011
ok, this works the best 1 tube of otc antibiotic creme and 1 tube of vagisal creme (its a small tube) and mix together. This works like a dream, not only does it work, but thats what the drs recommend but they call it something else (I had a dcm ask what they used)
did mom change diapers too, I find that may effect it.
I've heard of the malox too.
don't use wipes
CORNSTARCH and keep changing him continusely.
Lilbutterflie 08:58 AM 02-11-2011
I know the Dr said the red bum is from the antibiotics; but just wondering what kind of diapers he uses?

I read an article last year (http://consumerist.com/2010/05/do-dr...backsides.html) about the Pampers Dry Max Diapers. I was watching my neighbor's baby at the time who was using these diapers and he had severe unexplained diaper rash. After reading this article and showing it to his mom, she stopped using them and the rash went away in just a couple days!
laundrymom 09:31 AM 02-11-2011
plain yogurt. plop it on, squish it around, then close it up, next dipe, olain, swap every other until it clears. weird but works.
countrymom 09:45 AM 02-11-2011
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
I know the Dr said the red bum is from the antibiotics; but just wondering what kind of diapers he uses?

I read an article last year (http://consumerist.com/2010/05/do-dr...backsides.html) about the Pampers Dry Max Diapers. I was watching my neighbor's baby at the time who was using these diapers and he had severe unexplained diaper rash. After reading this article and showing it to his mom, she stopped using them and the rash went away in just a couple days!
yes, there is a problem with these diapers, alot of people stopped using them. They said that the diapers were sucking the moisture out of the skin.
broncomom1973 11:26 AM 02-11-2011
He is on oral antibiotics? It sounds to me like a yeast infection which are often caused by oral antibiotics. If this were the case, I dont understand why the doctor wont take a look at the poor boy and prescribe nystatin cream for yeast if that is what is causing it. When my own kids get a bad rash (as my ds did earlier this week), I use 40% zinc oxide ointment, resinol, or aquaphor. Ds's rash wasnt clearing up with the zinc, so I got out a tube of nystatin (he had the small little bumps that are indicative of yeast) and it cleared up within 1-1/2 days after I started using that.
angelpayne24 11:31 AM 02-11-2011
Treat diaper rash using egg whites - This remedy calls for egg whites. Simply crack open an egg and remove the yolks. Apply the egg whites over the rash and put the babies diaper on. Do this for a few diaper changes. The rash should be nearly all gone by the next few diaper changes. Worked great for my last child who had a horrible problem with rashes on his bum.
nikia 11:41 AM 02-11-2011
Originally Posted by broncomom1973:
He is on oral antibiotics? It sounds to me like a yeast infection which are often caused by oral antibiotics. If this were the case, I dont understand why the doctor wont take a look at the poor boy and prescribe nystatin cream for yeast if that is what is causing it. When my own kids get a bad rash (as my ds did earlier this week), I use 40% zinc oxide ointment, resinol, or aquaphor. Ds's rash wasnt clearing up with the zinc, so I got out a tube of nystatin (he had the small little bumps that are indicative of yeast) and it cleared up within 1-1/2 days after I started using that.
He does have little red bumps on the top going towards his belly button.
Mommabess 05:14 AM 02-13-2011
I know that the doc said use nothing but we used cameoseptine ointment. Just ask for it from the pharmisist. It cleared it up within a few days.
robinsoninfl 01:46 AM 02-15-2011
My little girl used to get really bad yeast rashes and the nystatin never worked. Finally my pediatrician recommended to get some clotramizole 1% ointment. It's basically Lotrimin AF (for jock itch) but I always bought the store brand. It clears up within a day! It's the only thing that ever worked. I'm actually using it right now for a rash she got! Don't know if its okay for you to recommend it to the Mom or not. That's up to you.
cillybean83 08:01 AM 02-15-2011
my sons diaper area and his inner thighs have been red for like a WEEK, I've tried everything! I finally took him to the dr yesterday and the dr said he was probably allergic to baby wipes AND disposable diapers! He is 14 months old! The dr. says sometimes it just happens like that, and to lather him up with desitin, vaseline, any kind of barrier cream, until I use up the diapers I have, then to potty train....this is going to be bad! lol
SilverSabre25 08:13 AM 02-15-2011
Originally Posted by cillybean83:
my sons diaper area and his inner thighs have been red for like a WEEK, I've tried everything! I finally took him to the dr yesterday and the dr said he was probably allergic to baby wipes AND disposable diapers! He is 14 months old! The dr. says sometimes it just happens like that, and to lather him up with desitin, vaseline, any kind of barrier cream, until I use up the diapers I have, then to potty train....this is going to be bad! lol
You could also try changing which wipes and diapers you're using. Are they Pampers, by any chance?
happykidschildcare 01:16 PM 02-15-2011
alot of time babies get yeast infections from being on antibiotics, most likely wont go away on its own. I had a baby girl that kept getting ear infections and they put her on anti and then she gets yeast infections. Mom thought it was just diaper rash but I said nope its YI and please take her in and get meds for it. The stuff the Dr gave her clears it right up in just a few days.
good luck!
jojosmommy 01:51 PM 02-15-2011
I know this is a few days since you originally posted but my dr said NEVER to bring our son in for diaper rash until we tried the following. A & D, Desitin (or generic form) and yeast infection cream. All three at once. My son gets rashes regularly and this works like a charm. Dr said if we went in she would just tell us to do this anyway so to save a trip try it first.

Also, the baking soda bath does work too! And use a warm wash cloth (nice soft one) instead of wipes if needed.
Tags:diaper rash, diaper rash remedy
Reply Up