Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Advice
Unregistered 02:43 PM 11-01-2019
My regular hours are 7-5. In a couple weeks I have to go in for an ortho appt to pick up a new retainer at 4:45. My orthodontist’s hours are 8-5. They used to be open later one night a week, but last year changed to shorter hours. I am planning on just closing a half hour early that day. I have never done contracted hours, just open the ten hours. Nobody uses the full ten hours. I know everyone’s regular drop off and pick up times. Closing a half hour early will only affect two families by about 15 minutes at most.
My husband thinks that because I don’t do contracted hours, if I close a half hour early, I should open a half hour early so that I am still offering a full ten hours. My earliest family arrives around 7:30 with all others arriving around 8, so I can’t see any reason to offer to open at 6:30. My husband’s reasoning is that he thinks families want to feel like they still are getting the option to use a full ten hours if they want to or that they are still “getting their money’s worth”. Have any of you ever closed slightly early for an appointment, and if so, how did you handle doing that?
lblanke 03:00 PM 11-01-2019
Parent here-you should just close early and not open early. I would not expect you to open that early just because you are leaving 30 minutes early. If you do, then they will expect Saturday or evening care if you are sick, have a snow day or need to close for any other reason. Do not start that expectation. 9.5 hours is more than a full day almost anywhere you work.
CountryRoads 03:02 PM 11-01-2019
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
My regular hours are 7-5. In a couple weeks I have to go in for an ortho appt to pick up a new retainer at 4:45. My orthodontist’s hours are 8-5. They used to be open later one night a week, but last year changed to shorter hours. I am planning on just closing a half hour early that day. I have never done contracted hours, just open the ten hours. Nobody uses the full ten hours. I know everyone’s regular drop off and pick up times. Closing a half hour early will only affect two families by about 15 minutes at most.
My husband thinks that because I don’t do contracted hours, if I close a half hour early, I should open a half hour early so that I am still offering a full ten hours. My earliest family arrives around 7:30 with all others arriving around 8, so I can’t see any reason to offer to open at 6:30. My husband’s reasoning is that he thinks families want to feel like they still are getting the option to use a full ten hours if they want to or that they are still “getting their money’s worth”. Have any of you ever closed slightly early for an appointment, and if so, how did you handle doing that?

I've had to close early several times. It honestly would never even cross my mind to open early to make up for the time I'd be closed. Besides, I don't think it would be helpful to my families if I did that anyway. I've never had anyone question it.

On a side note, I usually give my closing time an hour before the time I need to be somewhere. One too many times I've had that one family not show up when they're supposed to
CountryRoads 03:03 PM 11-01-2019
Originally Posted by lblanke:
Parent here-you should just close early and not open early. I would not expect you to open that early just because you are leaving 30 minutes early. If you do, then they will expect Saturday or evening care if you are sick, have a snow day or need to close for any other reason. Do not start that expectation. 9.5 hours is more than a full day almost anywhere you work.
Oh, good point! I didn't even think about expectations for care outside of reglalr hours when you have to be closed.
Josiegirl 03:53 PM 11-01-2019
If people leave work early for an appointment, most don't go in that much earlier. No, don't want to start something like that. Make sure you allow yourself enough time to get to your appointment, especially if you have talkers or draggers that pick up. And make sure you remind them that morning and maybe even send them a text that afternoon as well. Ask me how I know.....
Ariana 07:13 PM 11-01-2019
Give them some notice and just close early or for the day. From some of the stories on here expect parents to show up late if you close early. Many providers advise to close for the day instead.
Scout 12:11 PM 11-02-2019
Definitely close early. Never fails, every time we have plans, someone is late. I wouldnt open early either. No need.
rosieteddy 03:41 PM 11-02-2019
Don't open early,and close with plenty of time to get to the appointment.
284878 05:06 PM 11-02-2019
Sounds like my husband when I first opened but not anymore.

Close no later than 4 pm. There is no need to open early.
Unregistered 06:50 AM 11-04-2019
Thanks for all the ideas! My husband likes to play devil's advocate and will think about how one family may respond to a situation instead of what is realistic. I think overall, most families understand that we are humans too who need to take care of ourselves/our families first. But there will also always be families out there that are only thinking about themselves and expect us to put our jobs ahead of all else, so that we don't disrupt their schedules. I once had a family like this, so I know this is where my husband thoughts about the situation are coming from.
I will be closing early and not opening early.
Cat Herder 07:29 AM 11-04-2019
Is your husband a partner in your business?
Ariana 11:21 AM 11-04-2019
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Thanks for all the ideas! My husband likes to play devil's advocate and will think about how one family may respond to a situation instead of what is realistic. I think overall, most families understand that we are humans too who need to take care of ourselves/our families first. But there will also always be families out there that are only thinking about themselves and expect us to put our jobs ahead of all else, so that we don't disrupt their schedules. I once had a family like this, so I know this is where my husband thoughts about the situation are coming from.
I will be closing early and not opening early.
I always think “is it easier for a parent to pick up a bit early or find a whole new daycare provider”? Typically parents are going to accommodate you because they need you. You are not disposable. Did the family who gave you grief in the past leave?

I am closing early on Friday and if anyone wants to leave over something so dumb then good riddance. I am a good provider and I deserve more respect than that!
Ac114 12:13 PM 11-04-2019
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I always think “is it easier for a parent to pick up a bit early or find a whole new daycare provider”? Typically parents are going to accommodate you because they need you. You are not disposable. Did the family who gave you grief in the past leave?

I am closing early on Friday and if anyone wants to leave over something so dumb then good riddance. I am a good provider and I deserve more respect than that!
This is exactly how I feel. If you want to leave over me closing early to take care of an appointment then good bye because you clearly don’t respect me as a person. All of my parents have some sort of benefits package of a minimum of 2 weeks all the way up to 8 weeks for a year. Why would be expect me to not take a single day off or ever close early.
Tags:doctor visits, sick days, time off
Reply Up