Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty Trained
284878 08:54 PM 11-13-2019
I have a dcb3 that started in August. DCM said he was potty trained but didn't always go on time. So if I saw him dance to send him to the bathroom.

So I would, however I was still changing his pants and underwear up to 3 times a day because he would start before he had got on the toilet, (he sits on it backwards). I would have him go before we went outside to prevent rushing back in to go but he would pee a little then still need to come back in 20 minutes later.

Then a couple weeks ago, we took the kids to the bus and he was not able to wait to get back inside and I had to clean the bathroom. We were outside for 20 minutes and he was at my house for 45 minutes before he wet himself.

I told DCM that he had to be in pull ups now. She didn't argue and he has been coming in pull ups every day.

Well I started noticing that the only time he goes potty is just before nap when I have him change his pull up. His pull up is always wet.

From the start I felt that may be he was not fully trained, like he knew how to go but his body couldn't hold it.

But now I wonder if it may be medical. When he was going to the bathroom, he went a lot, like every hour. He could never seem to hold it, always a rush to the bathroom and always peeing on his clothes as he got on the toilet. And now although his pull up is wet after 6 hours, it is not satuated enough for the amount of times he use to run to the bathroom.

Thoughts?
Ariana 04:40 AM 11-14-2019
What is happening is a direct result of potty training too early. I read an article written by an MD about how many kids he sees who are not eliminating properly due to potty training before they are ready. It leads to all sorts of issues long term. Let this kid know it is ok to go in a pull-up and the toilet is just for practice. I have a 2.5yr old who was trained too early and she has a lot of problems.

The thing I try to explain to parents is that being ready to use the toilet is ALL about being able to hold it and then release it on the toilet. A mature bladder is the only thing that will accomplish this. Just like walking. A kid will walk when they are physiologically ready to do so. This is why a kid will easily potty train in a couple of days when they are a actually physically ready.
284878 10:03 AM 11-14-2019
Originally Posted by Ariana:
What is happening is a direct result of potty training too early. I read an article written by an MD about how many kids he sees who are not eliminating properly due to potty training before they are ready. It leads to all sorts of issues long term. Let this kid know it is ok to go in a pull-up and the toilet is just for practice. I have a 2.5yr old who was trained too early and she has a lot of problems.

The thing I try to explain to parents is that being ready to use the toilet is ALL about being able to hold it and then release it on the toilet. A mature bladder is the only thing that will accomplish this. Just like walking. A kid will walk when they are physiologically ready to do so. This is why a kid will easily potty train in a couple of days when they are a actually physically ready.
See this is what I was thinking, that it had happened too soon. Today before nap, I had him change his pull up. He chooses not to go to the bathroom at that time but asked to go during the nap. I think the only time he asks is when he has to poop.
I have not talked to dcm about how it is going at home.
Tags:3 year old, potty trained - not, urinary tract infection
Reply Up