Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Child Refuses To Drink Water
kgirl27 09:53 AM 03-11-2011
I just started looking after a 3 year old girl and her 1 year old brother, and the girl refuses to drink water. She only wants juice, supplied by her mom, which is actually water mixed with Crystal Light (splenda in it). I am not sure what to do... would you all just let her drink the juice only or would you try to get her to drink water? What would you do to encourage water drinking?
newtodaycare22 09:56 AM 03-11-2011
Do you allow parents to provide substitutes?

Personally, I don't. It's too crazy and each kid can certainly have the same thing. Mine get 1/2 juice with snack (or milk with meals) and then they can drink water. I had 2 of 7 that refused at first Guess what? When that's all they have to choose from, suddenly they drink it.
Little People 10:04 AM 03-11-2011
I had 3 of mine that when I sat water down they would look at it like "what is this" and after a week they started drinking it and now they ask for it
laundrymom 10:11 AM 03-11-2011
I only have milk or water. Never juice or koolaid type drinks. They either drink what I offer or be thirsty. Lol
SunflowerMama 10:16 AM 03-11-2011
I'm the same as most....milk and water. I don't let parents bring drinks for the kids. Just too unfair for the kid that doesn't have something.

If they are thirsty enough they'll drink the water. I had a few that when they started they didn't drink it but when they realize its their only option...empty water bottles .
daycare 10:26 AM 03-11-2011
I read you other post and I belive you said that you are a nanny?

I would start addressing the parents with your concerns. They are the ones who allow it. If she is allowed to and you are saying NO, you are not going to win the battle.....
PeanutsGalore 09:40 PM 03-11-2011
If you want to make a suggestion to the parents, then maybe they can start using herbal teas to flavor the little one's water instead of Crystal Light? Herbal teas come in great berry flavors (blueberry, strawberry) and also citrus, apple cinnamon, etc, and they taste great iced. If no sugar is added, or just a bit of honey, they count as water. Actually, I think CL counts as water too, but it's chemicals, so I wouldn't feed it to my child or anyone else's kid. Herbal teas are a healthier option than juice.

They can also just use some lemon/lime/grapefruit/orange juice and zest and it packs a powerful punch to water.
daysofelijah 06:01 AM 03-12-2011
If you are a nanny I would probably just offer what the parents supply. You could encourage water only though in some instances, like when you are making a snack, just give her a cup of water with her snack and she can drink it if she wants. When you take the kids out to play, only bring along water to drink. If that's all there is she'll drink it. The more kids drink it, the more they develop a taste for it. I know my kids drink a lot more water in the warmer months.
Kaddidle Care 07:25 AM 03-12-2011
You're in kind of a pickle because being a Nanny, you're not running the show.

That's such a weird combination, especially adding the artificial sweetener to the juice. I'm guessing that's what the parents like so they shared it with the little one and now that's all she wants.

If you drink water yourself, that's probably the best way to encourage the little one to drink it. Make a big deal out of it "I need to drink my healthy water now."

Or try cutting some juice with water.
Lucy 05:16 PM 03-12-2011
I would start off giving her the full-strength juice, then slowly dilute it a tiny bit more each day. She'll get used to drinking straight water eventually. It may take you several weeks to get it diluted all the way down, but you'll do it. If she complains on a particular day, just go backward a little bit and then continue on with diluting it down from then on.
Unregistered 11:14 AM 03-14-2011
Not so sure splenda is good for them, esp if the little one is getting it to. I would address these concerns now.
Im the same as most. Milk with meals, water with snack. I havemet very little resistance with the water issue. Kids get enough juice at home. If a child shows up here with a drink other than water or milk I just save it for there departure at days end. Goo dluck and keep us posted!
Christian Mother 11:01 PM 03-14-2011
That has been a long aged lesson I've found in my daycare. What I find is that if you dilute the juice like 1/2 & 1/2 each day they don't fuss as much..continue to dilute each day little by little and then break away completely. Bc you r a nanny you need to make sure that you are including the parents in this and that they agree 110% so they can back you up. Explain that to much juice is really not good for them. There teeth will start to rot...a dentist will also back that up. They don't recommend juice often for a child either. Even a Pediatrician will tell you to back of juice all through the day. Find substitutes. We don't do juice in my daycare. I do 1/2 gatorade and water...very diluted but it really keeps them hydrated during the day specially since AZ is hot hot hot!! Of course milk too.
QualiTcare 12:26 AM 03-15-2011
that's a shame. i had my kids drinking water since they were a year old and they've loved it since. of course they would pause and look at the cup funny at first, but they drank it and they didn't know differently. i don't understand how/why parents let their kids get hooked on juice, strawberry milk, chocolate milk, etc.

i guess crystal light is a good when you consider the alternatives. at least they are getting some water intake (which is probably why the parents are doing it). i would just put very, very little crystal light in so there's only a hint of flavor and then do what the other posters suggested and not have any at all. i bet they'll notice when you put just a TINY bit - but they'll still drink it. then when you put none - they'll be thirsty and they'll drink the water.

i agree also that it would be wise to get the parents on board. i can't imagine that any parent would disagree with getting their child to drink water. they probably just "haven't had time" to deal with the rebellion, but they'd probably be receptive to you doing it.
Tags:3 year old, juice, won't drink water
Reply Up