Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Is Your Policy For A Child Who Tests Positive For Influenza?
Soccermom 04:01 AM 12-18-2013
4 year old DCG tested positive for Influenza. She was kept home yesterday and today is a snow day. I'm not sure what the isolation period for Influenza is but I sure don't want my kids to catch it before Christmas.
childcaremom 05:02 AM 12-18-2013
I just stick with my normal sick policy and exclude for symptoms. Check her at the door before she comes in.

If she is there regularly then you have probably already been exposed. Fingers crossed for you!

ETA: If this is a family that normally would try to bring a sick child, be extra vigilant in your check. I couldn't find an 'official' (health canada) report on exclusion other than to stay home until you are able to fully participate in activities. I would remind parents of that.
childcaremom 05:27 AM 12-18-2013
I just found this:

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/guidance/exclusion.htm

It is for the h1n1 flu but I think would be applicable to all influenzas. The major points I got:

Home for 24 hours after fever is gone (w/o meds)
Exclusion for 7 days after onset of symptoms

Hmmm.... maybe I will add an influenza clause.
Scout 05:54 AM 12-18-2013
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
I just found this:

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/guidance/exclusion.htm

It is for the h1n1 flu but I think would be applicable to all influenzas. The major points I got:

Home for 24 hours after fever is gone (w/o meds)
Exclusion for 7 days after onset of symptoms

Hmmm.... maybe I will add an influenza clause.
This makes me feel good about my decision to stay away from one side of my family as my cousin had swine flu last week and isn still recovering but, is having her sons bday party this weekend. I told her I am staying away! I have too many little kids here and you never know who she may have gotten sick that doesn't have symptoms yet.
Soccermom 07:23 AM 12-18-2013
Hmmm...I might tell DCD to keep her home for the rest of the week then. I wouldn't be so strict if we weren't so close to the Holidays but I hate for all the kids to get sick right before Christmas.

I should add that to my policy too. This is the first time I have had a DCK test positive for the flu.
TwinKristi 07:30 AM 12-18-2013
Ugh that sucks!! My whole family had it last year. One DCB is always sick and last year was so bad! My kids recovered quickly and it wasn't a huge ordeal but I keep Tamiflu on hand just in case.
TwinKristi 11:06 AM 12-19-2013
Ugh... Guess who has the flu?? Same DCB as last year, and now my DS has a fever and cough. I started taking Tamiflu because I have a headache and cold symptoms but no fever yet.
Reply Up