Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Girl Hates Nap Time..What to Do?
Sprouts 05:30 PM 10-26-2011
Okay so I have a 3 y/o (turns 4 in Jan) who HATES nap time. I tell her as soon as my daughter falls asleep she can do quiet activities, I even play sesame street for her. Also I know they need to lay down to relax a bit and give me a break! My husband calls me a Tyrant....because I seem so strict, but now my daughter is starting to not want nap time, and she needs it! If not she will pass out around 6-7pm wake up with a crying fit and I pull my hair out....

anyway this poor girl cries to her mom she doesnt want nap time, I am sure her mom is concerned as well....but it has just been getting worse, she cries for mommy here and there becuase she is dreading nap time.....(the fact she is part time and leaves her nursery school before nap time doesn't help as well)

Any ideas?? =/
daycare 06:02 PM 10-26-2011
I know everyone is different on this, but I need a break as I work a 12+ hour day.

Every child in my care will nap.

I have a few like this and as soon as thier heads hit the mat they are out.

Then there are some that will lay there sucking on fingers, blankets or whatnot and i am fine with that as long as they don't bother the other kids.

I have gone away from reading a book with the lights out, because sometimes they got ralled up.

You just have to keep at it. Dont give in....Once you give in, it's over..
Sprouts 06:24 PM 10-26-2011
How do you respond to parent with this?

And to the child?.....how long do they have quiet/nap time for?
daycare 06:32 PM 10-26-2011
in what way? Do you mean how do you tell the parent that the child needs to nap?
Sprouts 06:51 PM 10-26-2011
The mom just seems concerned as to how long she actually has to lay down. Since I just have these two girls, as soon as my daughter falls asleep i let her watch sesame, but what do i do if i get more preschoolers?
ugh I am having a brain fart I have been looking at this site for too long now lol I will re read and reply in the am...thank u daycare
cheerfuldom 08:12 PM 10-26-2011
part timers are really really hard. If a child could not nap here or rest quietly, then I just would not be able to keep them.
countrymom 06:03 AM 10-27-2011
I have a boy who does this too (he will be 4 in may) mom was like he doesn't nap anymore, sure he doesn't nap at home because he's by himself so he doesn't get tired. But here its busy. So for the first couple days I wasn't putting him down, but he was making such a huge mess that i wasn't getting anything done except clean after him. And then I found out that at home he was falling asleep at 5pm everyday, so mom was getting a break so she can cook dinner. Right then and there, I made him start taking a nap. He cries too, so I tell him that its quiet time. He lays down upstairs and watches tv. The funny thing is, is that he falls asleep, so I know he is tired. He also gets here at 7am.
I found that instead of saying nap time, I call it rest time. Maybe try that.
morgan24 06:42 AM 10-27-2011
I could not do this job without every child I have laying down and being quiet for a couple of hours everyday. As soon as they start whining that they don't want to take a nap, I quit calling it that. I lay them down and tell them that they have be quiet until I come and get them. I tell them if they make noise or get up they will have to stay on their blanket longer. They usually fall asleep, then when I wake them up I act like they didn't fall asleep and tell them they did a good job being quiet. I know it's a dirty trick but I have used it on lots of 3 to 4 year old dcks and they fall for it.
Sprouts 09:01 AM 10-28-2011
so as they were doing "quiet time" i was reading this and I replied "lets play a quiet game!"....and she replies "whens mommy coming? I want my mommy....." After a while I just started to ignore the same question becuase she knows the answer! She would lay down for a little bit but then get up whining, my daughter didnt' fall asleep and my son either i will just keep trying... no more bribery
Nellie 12:13 PM 10-28-2011
"And to the child?.....how long do they have quiet/nap time for? "

I think it depends on your state. In WI we are only allowed to "make" a child rest of 30 mins. I was told by licensing that nap time is one of the biggest violations. Trying to get a child to lie back down if they woke up from nap early or anything related to a child not being able to get up after they have been down for 30 mins. We are suppose to let them get up and give them quite activities to do until the rest of the group gets up. No 2 hour break at this house. And personally I do like the break so I can get things cleaned up, paper work done, and prep for the next day. But more importantly I just want these kids rested. If 30 mins was enough to recharge them I would be fine with it, but most of the time the hour that they nap for isn't enough and I have some crabby kiddos.
Tags:nap - disruptions, nap - for provider, nap - required, nap time crying, napping routine, sleep issues - parents
Reply Up