Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When DCK Show Up In Pajamas...?
daysofelijah 06:42 AM 03-31-2011
Several times over the years of doing daycare I have had kids show up in the morning in their jammies. 2yo dcb has been doing it quite often lately. I haven't been changing him and send him home just as he came. Now though I'm thinking that the mom thinks it's fine for him to be in his pjs for daycare. So maybe I should start making him get dressed when he gets here.

What do you do when kids show up in pjs?
laundrymom 06:45 AM 03-31-2011
I personally don't care what they wear. As long as they are covered. I don't change them.
youretooloud 06:49 AM 03-31-2011
I have kids who just like their jammies. It's not that mom or dad didn't feel like changing them, it's that the kids really love those Thomas the train Jammies.

One kid came over in soft Christmas striped long Johns, and I was jealous. I'd wear those!

If they bring clothes, I will ask later in the day if they want to change into shorts or a t-shirt. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. As long as Mom and Dad don't mind them wearing their PJs as play clothes, I don't mind either.
daysofelijah 06:52 AM 03-31-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I personally don't care what they wear. As long as they are covered. I don't change them.
Yeah I don't mind too much I guess. If she doesn't mind her kid being out in public in his pjs I guess that's fine. If we were going somewhere other than the park or just out in the yard to play I would probably dress him though.
momatheart 06:54 AM 03-31-2011
I would not dress them or offer to do so. I would return the child to the parents as they were brought into me. (Minus the doughnut they let them eat on the way in, )
JenNJ 06:55 AM 03-31-2011
I don't care. As long as they are CLEAN and have a fresh diaper, I don't mind at all. I'd take that over the kids who show up with full diapers and food all over them any day.

All my dc kids show up in jammies on rainy/snowy days bc they know we aren't going outside. When the weather is nice they come dressed for outdoor play bc I require parents to put sunblock and bug spray on kids before they arrive.
momma2girls 07:05 AM 03-31-2011
I have this in my contract, every child, must be changed, properly clothed, before coming to daycare.
momma2girls 07:06 AM 03-31-2011
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
I don't care. As long as they are CLEAN and have a fresh diaper, I don't mind at all. I'd take that over the kids who show up with full diapers and food all over them any day.

All my dc kids show up in jammies on rainy/snowy days bc they know we aren't going outside. When the weather is nice they come dressed for outdoor play bc I require parents to put sunblock and bug spray on kids before they arrive.
I require this as well. I require sublock be placed on child before coming to daycare.
nannyde 07:09 AM 03-31-2011
I love jammies.

I have two in "melmo" and one in "sponge" today. One came with sports footed jammies over his clothes. They can wear them whenever they want.
countrymom 07:10 AM 03-31-2011
first, do we have the same kid. Well, this kid is 3.5yrs old and gets dropped off in jammies. It wouldn't be a problem if we didn't do library or go outside. I don't have time to dress children in the morning. So now I hand the dcb his clothes and let him dress himself. I don't care how it looks, but its not my responsiblity to dress children in the morning. Oh I love the excuse, "they didn't feel like getting dressed" well lets see how well it works when he goes to school in september.
jen 07:13 AM 03-31-2011
I have one in a tutu and a pair of princess jammies...
dEHmom 07:24 AM 03-31-2011
I have told my dc parents before that it's fine, if they want to grab the kids run out the door in the morning instead of being late it's fine! after breakfast they will be changed into their clothes.

I don't see the big deal? When you have babies/toddlers being woken up extra early, and mom is trying to get ready for work, etc, it's not easy to get out the door somedays.

ME...I wake up, put on sweats, open my door for dcm's and I don't get dressed until after breakfast. I HATE wearing jeans or dress clothes first thing in the morning. UGh! When I can, I stay in jammies until 3pm

I feel bad for the little babies who have to have uncomfortable clothes thrown on at 530, 6am and wear them all day. NOT COMFY
Meeko 07:30 AM 03-31-2011
I have in my contract that kids can come in their jammies and I will change them later in the morning. (Sometimes on cold winter days, I let them stay in their jammies) It makes life a lot easier for the moms to just put clothes in a bag and not try and dress a cranky 1 year old at 6AM! However, I am completely anal about them coming in a clean diaper. NO overnight diapers! If they break that rule, they have to get the child completely ready in the morning themselves from then on..
nannyde 08:33 AM 03-31-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
I have told my dc parents before that it's fine, if they want to grab the kids run out the door in the morning instead of being late it's fine! after breakfast they will be changed into their clothes.

I don't see the big deal? When you have babies/toddlers being woken up extra early, and mom is trying to get ready for work, etc, it's not easy to get out the door somedays.

ME...I wake up, put on sweats, open my door for dcm's and I don't get dressed until after breakfast. I HATE wearing jeans or dress clothes first thing in the morning. UGh! When I can, I stay in jammies until 3pm

I feel bad for the little babies who have to have uncomfortable clothes thrown on at 530, 6am and wear them all day. NOT COMFY
I don't care if they wear jammies but I don't dress kids or pass clothes back and forth. That would get expensive at the end of the week.

I want them to have time in the morning with their parents. My kids eat breakfast with their parents.

People who are on the day shift or early morning shift have the same number of hours in a day that everyone else does. I don't think the time the kid comes in has anything to do with getting up and spending some time with your child in the morning.

One of my kids comes at six fifteen every morning and she gets up and eats breakfast every day. Her Mom gets her up early and when she gets here she goes back to bed to finish her night. No big deal. They just go to bed a little earlier the nights before the early shift.
tulip1969 08:41 AM 03-31-2011
Never an issue for me. I even told them if they are running late and don't have time to change them just bring them and I will change them later. I have the best parents around. They hardly ever do it and when they do their diaper is always changed before they come.
texascare 08:43 AM 03-31-2011
I have in my contract that kids are to come dressed and ready for the day.
Symphony 08:52 AM 03-31-2011
I don't care what they are wearing as long as it is weather appropriate. I wear sweats or yoga pants probably once a week too
cheerfuldom 08:58 AM 03-31-2011
I don't care as long as they can still play outdoors of whatever we have planned. I will say something if kid arrives just rolled out of bed, full diaper, no breakfast, etc. I get up early and get ready and get my kids ready, theres no reason why my DC parents can't.
Cat Herder 09:07 AM 03-31-2011
I beg for footed PJ's for my infants so I don't have to keep up with their socks and lots of tiny, nearly identical pieces of outfits....ugh!!!

12 months and up are required to have shoes on by the state, so they all follow along and arrive dressed for the day.
Unregistered 09:10 AM 03-31-2011
I never minded if it happened once in a while. But overall I prefer kids arrive fed, dressed, cleaned up and ready for the day. Yes, jammies are comfortable. So are yoga pants, leggings or sweat pants. When I was working I had to get myself up and dressed in a manner appropriate for work, and my kids had to be ready for daycare or school. Daycare said "no jammies" so they had to get dressed. I don't think it's really too much to ask most of the time.
nannyde 09:32 AM 03-31-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I beg for footed PJ's for my infants so I don't have to keep up with their socks and lots of tiny, nearly identical pieces of outfits....ugh!!!

12 months and up are required to have shoes on by the state, so they all follow along and arrive dressed for the day.
I had about three years when I first got started where I got them all to send the kids in footed jammies every day. Oh those were the days.

If they wear regular jammies they have to have on robeez for the feet. Would your state allow slippers instead of shoes?

Target makes a great slipper that is just like robeez... even better than the current robeez being made (they cheapened them down and started making them in China so they aren't as nice as the ones from five years ago).
Lucy 09:34 AM 03-31-2011
If they come in pj's, they go home in pj's. I had one young mom that brought 2 yr old in pj's several times and would say "he just got up. there's a change of clothes in his bag". Well guess what? I'm not here to dress your child for you. I don't understand why they wouldn't just change clothes while they change the morning diaper??? I mean, you're taking half the clothes off to change the diaper anyway!! I don't get it!! He went home in pj's every time she brought him in them. After about 2 months of doing this off and on, he always came dressed in regular clothes. Took her long enough.

I don't care if they wear pj's all day. I really don't care WHAT they wear as long as they're not naked!! But to expect me to change them.... nope. If they normally come in clothes, and then one time there were unexpected things that caused them to be late, it would be no big deal. Especially if the mom apologized and asked nicely if I would mind. I just hate it when they say "there's a change of clothes in the bag", like it's my JOB.
PitterPatter 09:46 AM 03-31-2011
Originally Posted by daysofelijah:
Several times over the years of doing daycare I have had kids show up in the morning in their jammies. 2yo dcb has been doing it quite often lately. I haven't been changing him and send him home just as he came. Now though I'm thinking that the mom thinks it's fine for him to be in his pjs for daycare. So maybe I should start making him get dressed when he gets here.

What do you do when kids show up in pjs?
I had a child a couple yrs ago like that. The Mother would send him in PJs sometimes and have his change of clothes in the bag that I was to change him into after breakfast. She also had a good set of clothes I was to change him into everyday at 5:00 prior to pick up so he would be presentable to her friends should they decide to meet for dinner. 1 change every day, sometimes 2 changes... that was annoying.

Now my contract states the children are to arrive clean and dressed for the day. We sometimes take the kids on outtings like the zoo or the childrens museum etc. I don't want the looks like, why are your kids wearing PJs at the zoo lady lol
Cat Herder 09:47 AM 03-31-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I had about three years when I first got started where I got them all to send the kids in footed jammies every day. Oh those were the days.

If they wear regular jammies they have to have on robeez for the feet. Would your state allow slippers instead of shoes?

Target makes a great slipper that is just like robeez... even better than the current robeez being made (they cheapened them down and started making them in China so they aren't as nice as the ones from five years ago).
I love slipper socks for inside time, but we are required to have "playground appropriate" footwear over 12 months. Basically dressed for muddy mulch....
Unregistered 10:19 AM 03-31-2011
As long as my kids have a clean diaper/underwear on I do not care what other clothes they are wearing. Expect when they come in brand new gymboree clothing everyday and complain they got dirty while experiencing life at daycare. LOL! I guess I would rather they wear pjs and be comfy than have them come in screaming mad b/c mom made them get dressed!
melissa ann 02:26 PM 03-31-2011
I have that children are to come dressed for the day including a fresh diaper (where applicable). December we did have a PJ day where the kids came in pj's and we had a fun day (no preschool work) and played games, did silly things,crafts and had pizza for lunch (a treat). The kids loved it and we had another one in Feb. I'm planning on another one in April. I plan them when there is no school so we don't have to go to the bus stop.
jen 02:33 PM 03-31-2011
Originally Posted by Tygerluv:
I had a child a couple yrs ago like that. The Mother would send him in PJs sometimes and have his change of clothes in the bag that I was to change him into after breakfast. She also had a good set of clothes I was to change him into everyday at 5:00 prior to pick up so he would be presentable to her friends should they decide to meet for dinner. 1 change every day, sometimes 2 changes... that was annoying.

Now my contract states the children are to arrive clean and dressed for the day. We sometimes take the kids on outtings like the zoo or the childrens museum etc. I don't want the looks like, why are your kids wearing PJs at the zoo lady lol
Oh, OK...if I had a family like that, I would put an end to coming as you are. YIKES! People are nuts.
Evansmom 04:48 PM 03-31-2011
I don't mind, some kids like to wear those character pajamas and it's hard to get them out of them in the morning. Rather than have a battle I'd just as soon as have the parents just not pick that one. It is a non issue to me.

I have a 17 year old daughter and many years ago she began to pick out her clothes and I was horrified at first at this b/c I was sure that everyone around would think I was a terrible mother. Then I realized it was not a battle I wished to wage. I pick my battles carefully and this isn't one of them.

As long as the kids are clean I don't think it matters what they wear.
kidkair 06:29 PM 04-01-2011
I only change kids clothes if necessary and they have the extra clothes to change into. I have texted parents that they need to bring clothes because their kid had no more extras to change into. My 3.5 year old showed up in pjs two days in a row this week. I let him just wear them all day no matter where we go or what we do. The second day he asked if I liked his pjs and I told him that although they are cute I'd rather see him wearing day clothes instead of night clothes since I see him during the day. So the following day he got dressed in the morning and was very proud to show me his day clothes.
squareone 08:13 PM 04-01-2011
I am in the camp that requires that he child arrives clean, dressed and ready for the day. I agree with the poster who says that they have to take half the clothes off to change a diaper anyway so they might as well finish.
legomom922 04:28 AM 04-02-2011
My DCG always shows in pj's but thats ok, it doesn't bother me, as she gets here between 6-630 anyway. Sometimes I even put here back down in my bed.

In teh past other DCKs have shown up in jammies too, but I never cared.
Most of time, I stay in mine all day anyway!
Pammie 05:55 AM 04-02-2011
Honestly it never bothers me for my dcks to show up in pajamas - I often encourage it. If it makes the parents job easier to get the kids out of the house in the morning, if the kids are comfy and happy to show their friends their favorite pjs - and both the parents and the kids arrive happy with smiles on their faces for not fighting the "get dressed" battle in the morning - then it makes a more pleasant morning for all of us

The parents let me know at drop-off if they need the kids changed into clothes before pickup time - but most often they just say "whatever he/she wants" - so they stay in pjs all day. Doesn't bother me in the least either way.

But I also never mind changing kids into fresh clothes before pick-up times. We call it "going out in public clothes" I specifically request during interviews that the children come to dc dressed in their scuzziest hand-me-downs or thrift shop clothing, so that neither them, nor I, have to worry if the clothes get soiled with paint, dirt or food during the day. And if the parents have somewhere to go after daycare that the kids should be looking spiffy, then I just change them at their last diaper/bathroom trip of the afternoon.

I like to choose my battles with my clients - and for me, pjs are really low on the list But if your rules that you set for your business are that kids need to come dressed for the day, and you cover that in your interviews, then by all means, that's what your clients agree to - and should follow through with!!
Blackcat31 06:06 AM 04-02-2011
I have several daycare moms who are young (right out of high school young) who go to college. I always laugh when their kid comes to daycare in their best clothes and their fancy $100 tennis shoes, but the mom's who are actually going out in public show up wearing their flannel pj pants and hoodies and they have those slipper-like shoes on!!

Most my other kids come dressed (sometimes obviously by their own pre-school standards ) and every once in a while I will notice someone wearing the same shirt two days in a row, but whatever....I am there to provide care not critique their fashion choices. I'm with pp who said as long as they aren't naked, then I don't care.
Checkinkids.com 10:48 AM 04-02-2011
Originally Posted by momatheart:
I would not dress them or offer to do so. I would return the child to the parents as they were brought into me. (Minus the doughnut they let them eat on the way in, )
Hahaha - that happens. Out of bed, into car, donut in hand - mouth still with crust ring from last night's dinner. Straight to daycare. Sad.
Kaddidle Care 01:35 PM 04-02-2011
Originally Posted by Tygerluv:
I had a child a couple yrs ago like that. The Mother would send him in PJs sometimes and have his change of clothes in the bag that I was to change him into after breakfast. She also had a good set of clothes I was to change him into everyday at 5:00 prior to pick up so he would be presentable to her friends should they decide to meet for dinner.
Seriously? I don't think so! So glad you changed your contract but you shouldn't have had to. That's just wrong!

I'm not a huge fan of jammies all day unless you are sick - and then they wouldn't be coming to Daycare right?

I work with older children and sorry folks, there usually only one Jammie day in Kindergarten a year so they'd better get used to wearing proper clothes. There are plently of things like sweats and T's that are just as comfy as Jammies.
cheerfuldom 03:05 PM 04-02-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have several daycare moms who are young (right out of high school young) who go to college. I always laugh when their kid comes to daycare in their best clothes and their fancy $100 tennis shoes, but the mom's who are actually going out in public show up wearing their flannel pj pants and hoodies and they have those slipper-like shoes on!!

Most my other kids come dressed (sometimes obviously by their own pre-school standards ) and every once in a while I will notice someone wearing the same shirt two days in a row, but whatever....I am there to provide care not critique their fashion choices. I'm with pp who said as long as they aren't naked, then I don't care.
hey sometimes I wear the same shirt two days in a row, nothing wrong with that.
mickey2 04:02 PM 04-02-2011
I just leave them. It does not bother me at all. I only change if mom brings clothing and requests that I do so.
Tags:pajamas
Reply Up