Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>omggggg
daycarediva 10:25 AM 09-21-2012
I started a new DCB. He's 2, cute as a button and a dream kiddo. He has two Dad's. No big deal to me at all as my only concern is how well adjusted the child is. I didn't know until interview. I stuck my foot in my mouth about 10x on the phone with Dad #1 because I kept saying "Mom and Dad" since he said his partner, I just made the ASSumption that they weren't married.

Interview went fantastic anyway, they are a great couple, great parents and their little guy cried when leaving because he wanted to stay. Fast forward and we both agreed that he would be a great fit, and his trial period started this week. He is AWESOME. After day #3 he had our routine down pat, remembered everyone's names and is working out fantastically. He is a dream kiddo too, polite, kind, a non-whiner and very laid back.

He is part time, which isn't ideal because it is going to be hard to find someone to fill his spot. (He comes 5 days per week, only 7:30a-11:00a.)

My issue? It's now after 1 and his Dad is nowhere to be found. I called both cell phones and no response. I pushed back lunch, (cranky kids), story (crankier kids) and nap (omg cranky) and now have their son rolling alllll over the floor while the other kids are trying to sleep as he apparantly doesn't nap!

I am sooo discouraged. I will have to let them go TODAY, as this is inexcusable. I swear if it weren't for the parents, this would be my dream job.
momma2girls 10:43 AM 09-21-2012
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I started a new DCB. He's 2, cute as a button and a dream kiddo. He has two Dad's. No big deal to me at all as my only concern is how well adjusted the child is. I didn't know until interview. I stuck my foot in my mouth about 10x on the phone with Dad #1 because I kept saying "Mom and Dad" since he said his partner, I just made the ASSumption that they weren't married.

Interview went fantastic anyway, they are a great couple, great parents and their little guy cried when leaving because he wanted to stay. Fast forward and we both agreed that he would be a great fit, and his trial period started this week. He is AWESOME. After day #3 he had our routine down pat, remembered everyone's names and is working out fantastically. He is a dream kiddo too, polite, kind, a non-whiner and very laid back.

He is part time, which isn't ideal because it is going to be hard to find someone to fill his spot. (He comes 5 days per week, only 7:30a-11:00a.)

My issue? It's now after 1 and his Dad is nowhere to be found. I called both cell phones and no response. I pushed back lunch, (cranky kids), story (crankier kids) and nap (omg cranky) and now have their son rolling alllll over the floor while the other kids are trying to sleep as he apparantly doesn't nap!

I am sooo discouraged. I will have to let them go TODAY, as this is inexcusable. I swear if it weren't for the parents, this would be my dream job.
I agree, if it's not the naughty, colicy, children, it is their parents!!
rhymia1 10:45 AM 09-21-2012
Maybe there was some type of emergency? That just seems so odd:confused

Do they have emergency contacts? I might call those.
Sugar Magnolia 10:46 AM 09-21-2012
Wow, tough one! I can't understand why people don't answer when we call!? I guess a very strongly worded warning like: extreme late pick ups and non answering of phones is grounds for termination, and will not be tolerated. Also, a two year old with no nap? Oh my....
daycarediva 10:47 AM 09-21-2012
No contract, since it is the trial period. I don't go through the mountain of paperwork until I have completed the trial. After today that is ALL changing. I have their home number, both cells and no answer at any of those after calling repeatedly.
WImom 10:56 AM 09-21-2012
That sucks!! Hopeflly they have a very good excuse. Did they come get him yet?
My3cents 10:58 AM 09-21-2012
I would wait and find out what happened first before jumping to termination.

Then I would make it CLEAR.

Often parents figure because your open that you are willing to keep the child until closing if they chose. You have to spell out part time, contracted hours and this is something I still need to get better about.

I would never take a child with out back emergency phone numbers of someone that is able to pick up the child if the parent can not. Trial period or not.
momma2girls 11:02 AM 09-21-2012
Do they have any emergency contacts to call? I would call these as well. WOW!!!!
crazydaycarelady 11:03 AM 09-21-2012
Originally Posted by :
I would wait and find out what happened first before jumping to termination.

Then I would make it CLEAR.

Often parents figure because your open that you are willing to keep the child until closing if they chose. You have to spell out part time, contracted hours
I agree with this. Sometimes the parents need training as well.
Blackcat31 11:04 AM 09-21-2012
Originally Posted by My3cents:
I would never take a child with out back emergency phone numbers of someone that is able to pick up the child if the parent can not. Trial period or not.
Our state licensing requires us to have ALL enrollment forms BEFORE a child can come for even one hour. period.

Trial period or not. Besides the trial period is something I choose to do, it isn't required by the state.

Personally I would NOT wait. Leaving your child with no contact people or cell phone numbers that actually work is considered abandonment. I think it is also pretty rude and not a sign of good parenting at all!

A few minutes is an oversight....a couple hours is NOT ok!!
momma2girls 11:11 AM 09-21-2012
Have you gotten a hold of anyone, or have they picked up? Make sure and charge them for all the extra hrs. the child is there over their contracted hrs. as well- I have $5.00 per 15 min. for a late fee.
dave4him 11:15 AM 09-21-2012
can you charge if there is no contract. I would hate that
Mom&Provider 11:16 AM 09-21-2012
I too would be angry, but my first thought is some kind of emergency has happened...have you heard from either of them yet??

I think I would maybe change your policy to require the paperwork upfront, just for this reason!
daycarediva 12:31 PM 09-21-2012
One Dad works nights and overslept. I charged them 5 per 15m, per our contract, and he included it in today's check. Apologizing profusely, and then sat and filled out alllllllllll of the paperwork, including local emergency contacts that CAN be here if it happens again. The other Dad is an anesthesiologist and was in a surgery, so this makes sense.

Honestly, this is mostly my fault for not having a trial contract. That is changed right now. I think it was a good learning curve. In alllll the years I have been doing this I have NEVER had that happen!

I didn't term. I did get paid well for the inconvenience though.

Based on Dad's willingness to pay (HE asked) and paying the fee without question + his profuse aplogizing (even to the littles that were being woken up) I think they still might be a golden family.

PHEW because I LIKE THAT LITTLE GUY!
WImom 12:34 PM 09-21-2012
Glad you didn't have to term and that dad was sorry about and offered to pay says alot.
lovemykidstoo 01:40 PM 09-21-2012
Glad it ended up working for you. Sometimes things happen and as long as you can get it straightened out, you'll be alright. I had a new family one time and he was supposed to be here no later than 5:30 because I had a sporting event to go to. Mind you, this was the first day. He showed up at 5:45 with no phone call or anything. Mind you it was only 15 minutes, but I was furious. He said it was farther from his work than what he though. Well, ya should have thought of that before. I told him that I was late and that would not be tolerated at all and gave him his child, walked past him in my garage and got in my car and left. I was livid. The next day he changed his work schedule to get out 1/2 hr earlier and have not had a probem since. That is a huge pet peeve of mine.
daycare 01:46 PM 09-21-2012
No contract, since it is the trial period. I don't go through the mountain of paperwork until I have completed the trial. After today that is ALL changing. I have their home number, both cells and no answer at any of those after calling repeatedly.
I dont offer a contract either until after trial, but I do give them my PHB and tell them they are expected to follow the rules...... I have a short and sweet simple page that they sign that says during the trial they agree to follow all rules of the DC>
Blackcat31 01:48 PM 09-21-2012
I am so glad that it did work out ok and that the parents turned out to have a valid excuse and were completely willingto pay a late fee.

I suppose you are right, that this whole thing could have been avoided had you had some contact info in hand BEFORE allowing the child to attend but you know everything that happens is a learning experience.

It is only a bad thing is no one learns anything from the situation and it sounds like everyone did so all is well!
lovemykidstoo 01:53 PM 09-21-2012
I don't want to turn this thread into something that it wasn't, but this kinda made me think of something. Can you call someone for pickup on the "emergency" list simply because someone is past their pickup time or does it truly have to be an emergency? Luckily, I haven't run into that problem, but might in the future so it would be good to know.
daycarediva 02:07 PM 09-21-2012
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I don't want to turn this thread into something that it wasn't, but this kinda made me think of something. Can you call someone for pickup on the "emergency" list simply because someone is past their pickup time or does it truly have to be an emergency? Luckily, I haven't run into that problem, but might in the future so it would be good to know.
If I can't contact a parent, then I do. ESPECIALLY if it is past my closing time.
daycarediva 02:07 PM 09-21-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I am so glad that it did work out ok and that the parents turned out to have a valid excuse and were completely willingto pay a late fee.

I suppose you are right, that this whole thing could have been avoided had you had some contact info in hand BEFORE allowing the child to attend but you know everything that happens is a learning experience.

It is only a bad thing is no one learns anything from the situation and it sounds like everyone did so all is well!
exactly bc! I am ending the day(and the week) with a big smile on my face!
lovemykidstoo 02:28 PM 09-21-2012
If I can't contact a parent, then I do. ESPECIALLY if it is past my closing time.
Most definately if it's past your closing time. I was just thinking if they would have had not shown up for an 11:00 pickup and you had another PT child coming and possibly putting you over your ratio. That would have been a problem.

So glad that you're starting your weekend with a smile!!
Heidi 03:33 PM 09-21-2012
Glad it ended up working for you. Sometimes things happen and as long as you can get it straightened out, you'll be alright. I had a new family one time and he was supposed to be here no later than 5:30 because I had a sporting event to go to. Mind you, this was the first day. He showed up at 5:45 with no phone call or anything. Mind you it was only 15 minutes, but I was furious. He said it was farther from his work than what he though. Well, ya should have thought of that before. I told him that I was late and that would not be tolerated at all and gave him his child, walked past him in my garage and got in my car and left. I was livid. The next day he changed his work schedule to get out 1/2 hr earlier and have not had a probem since. That is a huge pet peeve of mine.
Michigan...eh?
lovemykidstoo 03:53 PM 09-21-2012
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Michigan...eh?
??? Sorry ya lost me
Heidi 03:59 PM 09-21-2012
??? Sorry ya lost me
You said "ya should have thought of that before":...and I was actually hearing you speak like a yupper for a second there...

"YA" vs. "You"....
lovemykidstoo 06:58 PM 09-21-2012
Originally Posted by Heidi:
You said "ya should have thought of that before":...and I was actually hearing you speak like a yupper for a second there...

"YA" vs. "You"....
Bwa ha ha. I figured that's what ya meant!!! I'm actually a "troll" I live under the bridge LOL!! Although I do go to the U.P. quite a bit!!! Have you been there? I guess I didn't realized I talked / wrote like that. That is hilarious!!

Just looked at my post to you and I wrote, "sorry, YA lost me" Bwa haha!! Now I'm going to be noticiing that everytime I do it . Cracking up right now!!
Reply Up