Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents Who Are On Call
Unregistered 05:58 AM 11-19-2014
Do you charge them an early drop off fee when they bring their kid an hour early? Dad was like he's off schedule he might want his blanks great thanks for leaving your screaming kid here an hour early. Just because they are on call doesn't mean I am right? Also what is an appropriate early drop off fee?
Unregistered 06:30 AM 11-19-2014
Would it be rude to ask them to call me and let me know she was called in and will need me an hour early? They just bring him without letting me know they will be early.
Leigh 06:34 AM 11-19-2014
It would not be rude to ask for notice. Anyone who showed up here an hour early would find themselves with an hour to kill in my driveway while I finished my beauty sleep! Are you open when they show up early?
KayB 06:35 AM 11-19-2014
Heck no that would not be rude!
TheGoodLife 06:50 AM 11-19-2014
Not rude at all! Is it at least within your opening time, or do they come early when you are not open? If I was open, I'd allow it with prior notice and my OK, if it was before I open I may allow it with proper notice, but is charge a LOT more since I wasn't even open. Either way, I'd require notice and not allow a drop off without it. That is rude, IMO.
Unregistered 07:00 AM 11-19-2014
Yes I was open. I open at 7 he usually comes at 8 so when they come in the door an hour early I was like wth? 8 is their contracted time. I open at 7 but no one ever comes right at 7 it gives me time to drink my coffee and wake up. His dad came in and said are you open yet? I didnt have the lights on or blinds open because I didn't expect anyone until 8 or after.
DaveA 07:00 AM 11-19-2014
Originally Posted by TheGoodLife:
Not rude at all! Is it at least within your opening time, or do they come early when you are not open? If I was open, I'd allow it with prior notice and my OK, if it was before I open I may allow it with proper notice, but is charge a LOT more since I wasn't even open. Either way, I'd require notice and not allow a drop off without it. That is rude, IMO.

How I would do it.
KSDC 07:36 AM 11-19-2014
Do you have a contract that spells out the hours that your family comes? If not, then that is your first step. Decide what you are willing to do, put a price on it, and then put it in writing.

My families have contracted hours, but I charge a flat fee for a FT week. If they need to come early or stay late, I don't charge extra (within my business hours) as long as they call and give me notice. I would not accept them an hour early without at least a phone call.
Unregistered 07:41 AM 11-19-2014
how often does he need the 7 am start ?
maybe his contracted time should be from 7 .....
and if he shows at 8 ??
but he should be asking and infroming when he is coming and if early ask if ok and if late to let you know
Unregistered 07:55 AM 11-19-2014
His drop off time is 8 and very rarely do they come at 7 she was called in this morning so dad brought him an hour early. This kid usually gets out of bed At 7 this hour early drop off has really affected his schedule. I also charge a flat weekly rate but have contracted hours with the families.
Bookworm 10:12 AM 11-19-2014
Did dad have to be on his job early? If not, what was his reason for coming an hour early?
Unregistered 11:57 AM 11-19-2014
He must of had to be to work. He's not the normal drop off person so I am assuming he had to be to work.
AmyKidsCo 01:13 PM 11-19-2014
Honestly, I'm a bit annoyed when parents drop off before or after their contracted time, but in my mind I'm "at work" during my open hours and should be ready to have children then. I also tell parents that one of the perks of FT care is that they're entitled to have their children here during all of my open hours. (I'm only open 7-5 so it's just 10 hours/day; if I was open longer it would be different.)

In this situation I'd ask the parent to text me if they had to drop off early because no-one else is scheduled to arrive until ________ and I wanted to make sure I was ready, but I wouldn't charge extra unless the drop-off was before my open hours.

But that's just me, you may be more annoyed by early drop-offs than I am.
Checkinkids.com 01:45 PM 11-19-2014
Charging a fee is appropriate here for sure. As long as you actually make them pay it...
Crazy8 02:19 PM 11-19-2014
Contracted drop off is 8am. I would be meeting them at the door tonight with a letter explaining the early drop off fee and tell them that in the future if they need to drop off before their contracted time they need to contact you and ASK in advance.

I keep my door locked until first child is set to arrive and if there is a gap between arrivals I relock the door. They'd be sitting outside till 8am if they showed up here at 7am and I didn't have other kids here yet!!!
Reply Up