Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Double Checking Trampoline Regulation
nicolesmom 04:37 AM 09-12-2017
Good morning everyone! I cannot express enough how valuable this forum has been throughout my first year as a provider. I lurk more than post but it has been so helpful! Because I inundate my licensor with questions, I thought I would spare him one and ask you guys...

In my state of MA (and I think most states), trampolines are against regulation but there is no mention of the type of trampoline. I know the big back yard trampolines are a potential safety disaster but does this also apply to the indoor little trikes type of trampoline that has the bar that the kids hold onto?

Thank you in advance and I hope everyone is having a great Tuesday!
amberrose3dg 06:17 AM 09-12-2017
They are a big no no here in wv.
I would not use one even if allowed. They are a HUGE liability. Kids get major injuries on them. I have 3 different kids in my daycare that have had broken bones or stitches on them.(not here as I would never use them) I think the risk outweighs the benefits by far.
I know we are not allowed any trampolines even the little ones.
daycare 06:50 AM 09-12-2017
No here too but I would always check with my licensing.
Leigh 07:01 AM 09-12-2017
I have a small, 7 foot enclosed trampoline. Our licensing was OK with this one, but not with the big ones. The kids only use it supervised, and I only allow bouncing-no flips or anything like that. I wouldn't even have one, but my own son wanted one so desperately that we bought it for him, and the daycare kids use it occasionally. I would definitely call your licensor, though, because this could be a major issue if it is banned in your state.
Attached: trampoline.jpeg (37.7 KB) 
Jupadia 09:50 AM 09-12-2017
I gave away a small one like your talking about. We had no room for it away from either the daycare room or backyard. There was no way I wanted the DK climbing and jumping on one and since there ground height no way to easily keep them off. My kid was given it for Christmas but now family friends who enjoy it and the boys jump on it while we vist. We may in the future get a large one with enclosure hut I won't allow the DKS on it if we do.

I don't currently have any regulations in place about trampolines.
Daycare Insurance 10:26 AM 09-12-2017
Regulations vary by state, but you may also want to keep in mind that, if you are insured for your daycare, any type of rebounding device may be excluded from your policy. That would include any type of trampoline, bounce house, etc. Just something you may want to consider as well.
e.j. 07:28 PM 09-12-2017
Originally Posted by nicolesmom:
Good morning everyone! I cannot express enough how valuable this forum has been throughout my first year as a provider. I lurk more than post but it has been so helpful! Because I inundate my licensor with questions, I thought I would spare him one and ask you guys...

In my state of MA (and I think most states), trampolines are against regulation but there is no mention of the type of trampoline. I know the big back yard trampolines are a potential safety disaster but does this also apply to the indoor little trikes type of trampoline that has the bar that the kids hold onto?

Thank you in advance and I hope everyone is having a great Tuesday!
I checked the regs and they state:
7.07 (12) Trampolines. Except for therapeutic equipment, the use of trampolines by child care children, whether indoors or outdoors, is prohibited.

Based on that, I would say even the little mini tramps with the bar would not be allowed but it never hurts to check with your licensor to be sure. Just to cover yourself, I would email or text the question so you have a written record of his response, especially if he gives you the okay to use the trampoline. I've found that licensors interpret regs differently so while one will okay something, another may find you out of compliance.
nicolesmom 02:29 PM 09-13-2017
Thank you guys for the insight! It is greatly appreciated!
hwichlaz 02:55 PM 09-13-2017
The states that do allow them require that they be used according to directions...in California this means having another adult there JUST to spot the one child at a time that is allowed on the trampoline.
Reply Up