Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fake Sick?
Logged out for privacy 08:32 AM 07-19-2012
Ever called a parent to have a kid picked up only to rethink your decision?

Dcb 4 wouldn't do anything at drop off. He was mad b/c he "didn't get to play angry birds very long in the car." Laid down and read a book. Refused to eat breakfast- he hates oatmeal but such is life. Checked temp 99.6. Called dad and asked how he was night before. Dcd "Fine, why" I filled him in and told him I would call him in one hour. Rechecked temp twice. 99.8 was highest I got, under the arm. Called dad and said dcb needed to be picked up because he didn't want to play, felt warm, refused to eat, said his stomach hurt etc.

Told dcb he was going home with dad in just a few minutes, "YES!!!! Now I get to play angry birds!!! I don't feel sick anymore."

????????? Yikes. Did I just get played for a fool? Kid really did have a low temp, which unless the kid is super human I doubt he could control. Now I am sitting here thinking it was all a master plan to go home and I am going to look like an idiot.
kathiemarie 08:49 AM 07-19-2012
Give Dad a heads up. Hopefully dad wont DCB play any games and make him stay in bed all day.
familyschoolcare 08:59 AM 07-19-2012
I agree tell dad what is going on this is a life lesson the child needs to learn now or he will do it in school to yet our of a test. That is the child needs to learn that when you are sick you get treated like you are sick you stay in bead and only eat crackers ect .. I have seen it happen with a third grader would "pretend" to throw up every day a lunch. Took all the teacher weeks to figure out it was because he whanted to get out og math. we moved matht to first thing in the morning problem solved.
Unregistered 09:04 AM 07-19-2012
Originally Posted by Logged out for privacy:
Ever called a parent to have a kid picked up only to rethink your decision?

Dcb 4 wouldn't do anything at drop off. He was mad b/c he "didn't get to play angry birds very long in the car." Laid down and read a book. Refused to eat breakfast- he hates oatmeal but such is life. Checked temp 99.6. Called dad and asked how he was night before. Dcd "Fine, why" I filled him in and told him I would call him in one hour. Rechecked temp twice. 99.8 was highest I got, under the arm. Called dad and said dcb needed to be picked up because he didn't want to play, felt warm, refused to eat, said his stomach hurt etc.

Told dcb he was going home with dad in just a few minutes, "YES!!!! Now I get to play angry birds!!! I don't feel sick anymore."

????????? Yikes. Did I just get played for a fool? Kid really did have a low temp, which unless the kid is super human I doubt he could control. Now I am sitting here thinking it was all a master plan to go home and I am going to look like an idiot.
I had a DCB that did that exact thing to me too. He wanted to play on his dads iPhone longer, was a terrible grump to me (took it out his mood on me and the other kids) refused to eat, and layed down on the couch because he said he felt like he was going to be sick. I called dad, he came for pick up, carried him into the car and left. I did not receive a phone call that night about how he was doing but to my suprise they showed up the next morning. Dad said DCB perked up as soon as they left my driveway and wanted to play on dads phone, eat lunch out and go to the park. This dad of course did all those things for DCD and wondered why his kid kept trying to pull that same garbage on me over and over.

You totally got played and I'd call him out in front of dad. Kids can have benign low grade fevers at any time. It doesn't always indicate an illness.
DaisyMamma 09:09 AM 07-19-2012
I would've told dad what just happened. Hopefully dad isn't a push over and doesn't allow the game.
Watch out for him doing this again.
Former Teacher 09:46 AM 07-19-2012
If this was me: I wouldn't have called to say he had to be picked. I, however, would have called to give the heads-up about the fever going up.

TX Standards state that at 100.4 the child must be removed from care. I would usually call at 100.0 (if I caught it at that temp) and just say "Hey Mom, just wanted to let you know that Johnny is running a (whatever, say 100.2) He is not playing, eating, etc. You don't have to pick him up now but once the temp reaches the 100.4, he does need to be picked up." 9 times out of 10 they would just tell me, ok I am on my way.

I once (the ONLY time- I learned my lesson then) had a little boy (3 years old) who played me. He was just sitting outside, not playing, just sitting. The temp was nice out around 80s, yet he wanted his jacket saying he was cold. We found him a jacket. He literally had the chills. His temp was 99.8. I called Mom and said Hey Little Johnny is not acting himself blah blah. She said she was on her way.

Meantime I brought him inside and changed his diaper (not potty trained but thats another thread ) and all he did was cry and whine because he wanted his jacket which I took off to change him. The kid was huge

Meanwhile after getting all the love etc...we were outside and he was just laying up against me whining saying he wanted to go home. I made the mistake of telling him..oh Mommy will be here in a few.

BINGO! He jumped out, yelled yippy! I am going home! He then took off his jacket and started running around, playing round etc. Mom came and was FURIOUS at me because she thought I was lying. She wouldn't stop ranting and raving. I still had the thermometer out and took it. Magically it was 100.4

I said oh its ok...you still would have had to pick him up anyway!

That ticked her off more
Live and Learn 10:37 AM 07-19-2012
I haven't read all the replies but my doc and the American association of pediatrics says to add one degree to under the armpit readings. So that temp would actually be 100.8. Anybody with a fever over 100 goes home and is excluded for the following day too.
Former Teacher 10:47 AM 07-19-2012
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
I haven't read all the replies but my doc and the American association of pediatrics says to add one degree to under the armpit readings. So that temp would actually be 100.8. Anybody with a fever over 100 goes home and is excluded for the following day too.
Yep thats what we do
logged out 10:53 AM 07-19-2012
Unfortunately these parents are terrible and have left their sick kids with me before with no phone calls back when Ive tried toget them to pick up. That is why I made he decision on the forefront instead of getting puked on for hours.

I hope the parents dont blame me but honestly I can not care for a sick kid, or one who pretends to be sick enouh to require all my care.

If he isnt sick dad is going to have to teach him the lesson about faking and or remove the angry birds from he get go.

I didnt make them take the other kid home so I guess ill know what their thoughts are at pick up.
sharlan 01:41 PM 07-19-2012
You got played, big time.

Dad isn't going to teach him a lesson, that's your job (in most parents' eyes). Dad's going to enjoy the day off.
daycarediva 04:10 PM 07-19-2012
I'll be honest, my son has never had a high fever. He is SICK at 99.0 and feels like crap, and he acts it. He's mopey and miserable and most people wouldn't even check a temp. I had to warn the school about it! The nurse didn't believe me until it happened! My other son could be at 103 and bouncing off the walls playing. Maybe the kid just wanted to play angry birds because he really didn't feel well?
Reply Up