Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Will This Work? Need Your Input!
Lucy 07:03 PM 05-18-2014
During my 20 years, I've always had mixed ages. It just so happened that this school year, I have ages Kindergarten through 5th grade.

My two Kinders are both PM, so I've had from 12:50 to 3:40 to myself. (And I must say, I've LOVED it!! Dr. and hair appts, grocery shopping, making phone calls that can only be M-F during the day, taking care of my mom across town, etc. have all been during this off time.)

Anyway, I'm thinking ahead to next school year. (It starts after Labor Day in my neck of the woods.) I'll still have all the same kids, but now they'll be 1st grade to 6th grade (6th graders are in elementary school here). Even though it only amounts to losing the time that those two Kinders are currently here while the others are in school (8:45 to 12:50), when you add it up, that's a total of 8 hours per day, which is equivalent to one FULLTIME child! I can't take that pay cut.

So here's what I'm kicking around:

The SA'ers would be here B/A school, leaving 8:45 to 3:45 available. During those hours, I'd have what I've been thinking of calling PlaySchool. I don't want to do a stringent curriculum, I just want to do pretty much play-based learning. We will sit at the table part of the time and do ABC's, numbers, colors, and basic stuff, but I don't want to call it PreSchool because that brings to mind something a LOT closer to a school atmosphere, and I'm not interested in starting that right now.

So... I've thought about having ages 2 & 3 come on Tues/Thurs from 10:30 to 12:30, and ages 4 & 5 on Mon/Wed/Fri from 9:45 to 12:15. (btw, there ARE reasons for those odd sounding times. My mom has Alzheimer's, and I take her to various activities. These times would allow me to still do that.)

I figured out that three kids in each age group would equal the amount I'm losing from my two Kinders.

I live in a small-ish town (about 12,000) that is urban, however, we don't border other cities. There's rural area all around us. There are two larger cities (approx 30,000 population) each about 10-12 miles away, and a very large metropolitan city about 25 miles away. My point in saying all this, is that my town is pretty slim pickin's as far as child care customers. We have lots and lots of church preschools, and even one commercial center. I'm really worried that I'd be able to fill those 6 spots I mentioned.

I'd charge a modest registration fee, and I'd have a supply list for things like pencils, paper, crayons, art supplies, kleenex... stuff like that. I'd also have parents bring snacks.

I've made flyers, but haven't posted them anywhere yet. For some reason, I can't talk myself into actually trying this. So tell me if you think it would work. Thanks!

Forgot to mention ... I'll follow the school calendar, so these two groups will never be here at the same time. None of them will ever even meet each other.
BumbleBee 07:20 PM 05-18-2014
What happens to the school agers on half days, no school days, etc?

If that's not an issue-I say go for it!
cheerfuldom 07:21 PM 05-18-2014
Are the other preschools full day? If so, a part time option could be really great for a lot of parents.
Lucy 07:22 PM 05-18-2014
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
What happens to the school agers on half days, no school days, etc?

If that's not an issue-I say go for it!
lol... I posted a last sentence to my original post at the same time as you were asking this question!

Thanks for your input.
Lucy 07:23 PM 05-18-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Are the other preschools full day? If so, a part time option could be really great for a lot of parents.
Most are 2 1/2 to 3 hours, but the commercial one offers full day care, which has time for preschool if they choose.
childcaremom 01:39 AM 05-19-2014
I think it will work. This is actually what I had planned to do in Sept. I've 'quit' the full day care and only want to do pt and mornings.

I have had an ad up for a while, and while I have had a few bites, nothing serious yet. I think a lot of parents will get down to thinking of fall programs in August or even waiting until the beginning of September.

I am going back and forth about what to call it for much the same reasons as you have listed. I have been leaning towards playgroup/socialization for the youngers (3 years by Dec 31) and preschool for the olders (4 years by Dec 31).

The only thing I have done differently is made it so that the child has to be fully toilet trained. I am done with diapers

I am finishing mine off at 11:30 so children go home to eat lunch with their families (or back to daycare or wherever).

Good luck!
spinnymarie 07:05 AM 05-19-2014
I think it's doable, the only question I would have is the market for it, especially if you do need the income.
daycare 07:47 AM 05-19-2014
I plan to do this same exact thing once my son gets a little older. We are looking for a place near an elementary school for this reason.

I will have B/A from 700 to 730, school starts at 745. 8 kids

Then at 845-1145 I will do preschool up to 12 kids, Kinders get pick up at 1220

I am not a big fan of SA kids, but I know that having the right place and some adjustments I will figure it out. I will be closed to the Preschoolers on Holidays and summer.

I will also close on the school calendar closings like Christmas break, spring break. We don't have any in-service days here, so I won't need to worry about that.

I just might start dreading summers though. I would go back to full 12 all day during the summer....
cheerfuldom 10:08 AM 05-19-2014
Here there wouldnt be a huge market for it because there are a number of partial or half day preschool options plus some moms day out type programs (which is normally a couple hours a couple days a week). there is soooo much turnover with the programs that are very minimal hours because generally these are stay at home moms and their dedication to attendance is not always the greatest and they expect very minimal payment with home programs. so if you need the income, i think it might be challenging to keep spots full. I hope it works out for you but I can see how your schedule is difficult to manage right now. I am wondering if a part time job outside the home would be a better fit?
llpa 11:06 AM 05-19-2014
I am doing this starting in June for extra $$! I think you could make it work, but it sounds like you aren't sure you really want to? I focused on advertising for children who haven't been exposed yet to a group experience. Got tons of calls. It isn't even close to dc $$, but I am hoping some will sign up for dc or come as drop ins in the fall. I called mine "playschool" also
Lucy 06:52 PM 05-19-2014
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
I think a lot of parents will get down to thinking of fall programs in August or even waiting until the beginning of September.

The only thing I have done differently is made it so that the child has to be fully toilet trained. I am done with diapers
You think they wait that long to think about it? I was actually thinking it was getting kind of late to have just started advertising for Fall. I was hoping they'd start making their plans over the summer. I had hoped to start advertising now, and have the spots filled before Labor Day (when school starts here).

Great point on the potty trained!! I did decide to say they had to be 2 1/2 by Sept. 1st, but hadn't thought about requiring them to be potty trained. Thanks!!
Lucy 06:53 PM 05-19-2014
Originally Posted by spinnymarie:
I think it's doable, the only question I would have is the market for it, especially if you do need the income.
That's my BIG question too!! My town is fairly small, and a little bit isolated. We don't get people from the towns nearby, because they aren't nearby! I guess there's no other way to find out than to start advertising and see what happens.
Lucy 07:01 PM 05-19-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Here there wouldnt be a huge market for it because there are a number of partial or half day preschool options plus some moms day out type programs (which is normally a couple hours a couple days a week). there is soooo much turnover with the programs that are very minimal hours because generally these are stay at home moms and their dedication to attendance is not always the greatest and they expect very minimal payment with home programs. so if you need the income, i think it might be challenging to keep spots full. I hope it works out for you but I can see how your schedule is difficult to manage right now. I am wondering if a part time job outside the home would be a better fit?
Yeah, I worry about that too... filling the spots AND keeping them filled.

A part time job probably wouldn't work for me because of my responsibilities to my mom.

Thanks for your input!!
Lucy 07:06 PM 05-19-2014
Originally Posted by llpa:
I am doing this starting in June for extra $$! I think you could make it work, but it sounds like you aren't sure you really want to? I focused on advertising for children who haven't been exposed yet to a group experience. Got tons of calls. It isn't even close to dc $$, but I am hoping some will sign up for dc or come as drop ins in the fall. I called mine "playschool" also
I'm really not sure. And I think a lot of it is because I really don't have high hopes of getting 3 for each age group. But another reason might be because the bunch I have now are all ages 6-11, and I kind of dread the thought of having such little ones again. I've been spoiled by the SA'ers. (I know most of you don't like doing SA, but it really fits for me). They've all been here long term, and it feels more like having nieces & nephews come hang out. Doesn't feel as much like a "job" I guess. (Ok, sometimes it does!!) Also, I always dread starting new kids in general. It's always been that way for me. I get used to one bunch, and want to just keep them all for as long as possible. Weird I guess.
childcaremom 04:35 AM 05-20-2014
Originally Posted by Lucy:
You think they wait that long to think about it? I was actually thinking it was getting kind of late to have just started advertising for Fall. I was hoping they'd start making their plans over the summer. I had hoped to start advertising now, and have the spots filled before Labor Day (when school starts here).

Great point on the potty trained!! I did decide to say they had to be 2 1/2 by Sept. 1st, but hadn't thought about requiring them to be potty trained. Thanks!!
Maybe the organized ones will start now. I think those parents that work and will be making arrangements to have child picked up and transported back to daycare will not want to wait. But stay at home moms will be more laid back (ime, and having been one, lol) and probably will wait until they are more certain of plans, etc.

Of course, I could be completely wrong. It has happened from time to time
Reply Up