Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Homeschooling with Daycare
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 09:01 AM 10-16-2015
My 10yr old wants to be homeschooled something bad. We were going to start this September but he wanted to finish out 4/5th grades and then homeschool. Now he is talking about it more and more. He is naturally a night owl and ADHD. I hate that he is on medication for it but he needs it to focus in school. I really honestly feel that if I homeschooled then I would let him do his "natural" sleep pattern and then only provide half the dose of medication because here he could take the dogs for a run if he needed to and wouldn't have to just sit at a desk. He is super super smart. He is very engineering minded like his dad and that side of his genetic pool. He loathe reading and they really don't do much of that in school anymore. They do focus on grammar but no longer spelling and reading.

Every time I bring it up to someone though I get the what about socialization? He is into sports and that wouldn't change. There are a lot of homeschooling groups in my area too. However, obviously I run a home daycare and the homeschool group events would have to wait till the weekend or after everyone leaves.
Are there any homeschooling, daycare running mom as on here that can give me some advice or direction? Maybe some resources to find out more information about homeschooling? I went to bookstore and bought a few books on it that has been very positive.
AnythingsPossible 09:32 AM 10-16-2015
Not much advice, but I have rarely met a home schooled child who had issues with socialization. And if they do, it is because of their personality and those issues would remain rather they were in school or not. If you think it would be better for your son, I say go for it. Worse case scenario, you have to enroll back in school, but I think from the sounds of it home school would work better for him.
I would look into some online schooling options, in our state they are free. We have considered home schooling for our girls, but they struggle with losing their friends. Transportation to activities would be difficult unless you could find a mom that you could maybe work an arrangement out with. Maybe you could find someone with a younger child who you could watch while the other mom takes the older kids to group activities?
Good luck! School is rough, and there are no easy answers, just have to go with your gut!
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 10:01 AM 10-16-2015
Originally Posted by AnythingsPossible:
Not much advice, but I have rarely met a home schooled child who had issues with socialization. And if they do, it is because of their personality and those issues would remain rather they were in school or not. If you think it would be better for your son, I say go for it. Worse case scenario, you have to enroll back in school, but I think from the sounds of it home school would work better for him.
I would look into some online schooling options, in our state they are free. We have considered home schooling for our girls, but they struggle with losing their friends. Transportation to activities would be difficult unless you could find a mom that you could maybe work an arrangement out with. Maybe you could find someone with a younger child who you could watch while the other mom takes the older kids to group activities?
Good luck! School is rough, and there are no easy answers, just have to go with your gut!
It sure isn't what it use to be. My oldest would never ever go for being homeschooled at all. She loves school and her friends. My son is more like me and very reserved in social situations. He has a few friends but doesn't go out of his way to meet people either. My youngest is just starting out and we wanted her to get the experience but she isn't really learning anything yet that she didn't know before hand since we are only 6 weeks into school.

I worry every single day if someone is going to gain entrance to the school. My son is in a trailer behind the school, but then again I'm a worry wart and worry about everything all the time. Like tomorrow my son is going hunting with my husband (his dad) and some of hubby friends. I was ok last week when they weren't up in tree stands, but tomorrow they will be in tree stands. Even though it is a double and he will be with his dad I fear the worst all the time. I'm a silence helicopter mom. I don't push my insecurities off on my kids or even let it known when I get like that.
Snowmom 10:05 AM 10-16-2015
Your state should have a Homeschooling Alliance organization where you can go for more information.
Every state has different regulations and resources available.

As far as socialization, that's a myth. Kind of a terrible one in my opinion.
Many homeschooled children I know are advanced in their studies and take college credits by the time they're 15. They belong to several youth groups and generally have more self esteem/self confidence than the majority of other teens I know.

There are many homeschooling groups where I live that pool their resources.
In my area, there are groups of homeschool families that share duties. One parent may cover reading & writing, while another may cover math & science, while another may take the kids all to the Science Museum one day or Library the next. Getting connected with parents who homeschool in your area would probably be the biggest obstacle in that arena.
In my state, homeschooled children can still participate in public school sports, if that's of interest to him.

Good luck!
lizzlee 03:21 PM 10-16-2015
We are on our seventh year of homeschooling and my first year of daycare. I have dcg 3, dcb 2, and dcb 5 months and the older two are very rowdy kids so it's been a little hard at times to help my kids with schoolwork. My children are very motivated to continue homeschooling so they are willing to work independently as much as possible. The main reason we started homeschooling was to meet the special needs of my middle child who is on the spectrum.

Homeschooling has been a wonderful experience for us overall. There are some tough parts (high school math for one), but socialization has not been a problem. My boys have been involved in scouts since first grade, one is now a junior and one a seventh grader. We have friends in our local homeschool community and have someone at our house or an invitation to visit a friend just about every week. They attend martial arts classes three nights a week also. Usually we have an activity four nights a week and at least one Saturday a month, which is plenty of socialization for us. With all that said, homeschooling is not for everyone, my three year old daughter started preschool this fall and I expect she will attend public school.
Nisaryn 08:46 PM 10-16-2015
I currently homeschool my 10yr old on top of my daycare. Since I take infants only I don't really have to worry about any conflicts or anything (I can only have 4). She stays in her 'part' of the house for school and I check in on her every once in a while or she will call around the corner when she has a question. We use Book Shark curriculum (it is reading heavy) and all the lessons are planned out by the week so she just has to look at the schedule, I add my own stuff in and we also use BrainPop! and XLMath to supplement.

I have the same issue you do and so most of our extracurricular activities take place in the evening and on weekends. She is part of a Kung-fu class and a dance class at our local YMCA so she has lots of friends there. We also go to the library on the weekends to trade in the books we use and there is a weekly play/reading group that meets there in the mornings on Saturdays that we attend. On Thursdays they have a family night. So you might want to look into your local library as well. She also goes to UCSD during the summer for summer camps in STEM. So socialization has never been something I worry about...if anything I worry about keeping up with her! She was in the GATE program before we pulled her from the public school.

The main issue you might have is his schedule, depending on whether you decide to go affidavit route (make your own "private" school) or Charter school route you have to worry about hours per day spent in school and might even have to go to once monthly meetings. We chose to go with a Charter homeschool (so we don't have to deal with the record keeping) and we are required to meet twice a month with her Facilitator with examples of her work to prove we are doing work, it's no biggie but sometimes the scheduling is annoying and I've had to close up show a few times in order to make the meetings. Also, in my area if you are home-schooled you cannot leave your house without a parent during 'regular school hours' so she can't take the dog for a walk or anything like that during the day unless I would be with her, this is for truancy monitoring more than anything. It doesn't bother me, just something you might want to keep in mind if he might be 'cooped up' inside the home most of the day because of this law if they have it were you are (I'm in San Diego, CA).
Tags:homeschool
Reply Up