Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interesting Article On Diaper Sales And The Economy
MN Mom 08:47 AM 10-04-2011
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/1...onomy-suffers/

I thought this was sort of interesting and thought I'd share!
nannyde 09:21 AM 10-04-2011
Originally Posted by MN Mom:
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/1...onomy-suffers/

I thought this was sort of interesting and thought I'd share!

Meantime, sales of diaper-rash ointment have increased eight percent over the past year, according to market-research firm SymphonyIRI. Analysts and pediatricians said the higher sales likely reflect either less frequent changes or a shift to lower quality diapers.

They also need to take into consideration that the materials used for the diapers now are completely different than they were a few years ago. I have a good stock of diapers from the mid 2000's here and the difference is huge. The sizing is REALLY different... the weight of each diaper is way less for each size... the amount of plastic is WAY more than it was a few years ago ... the amount of butt coverage of absorbant material (non plastic) is WAY less... and what is used for the middle of the diaper is way thinner.
Cat Herder 09:27 AM 10-04-2011
Curious to how this links to all the "You must potty train my 12 month old" posts?
laundrymom 09:33 AM 10-04-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Curious to how this links to all the "You must potty train my 12 month old" posts?
Me too. I'm all for saving money, trying to cut corners and keep costs down, but certain things you do NOT skimp on. Healthcare is one of those things. As far as I am concerned, keeping bottoms healthy is just as important as keeping the rest of them healthy. I'd be interested to know how many people add a little less powder in each bottle when times are tough as well.
MamaJ 11:43 AM 10-04-2011
perhaps this decrease in disposable diaper spending really just points towards a shift in buying and really means that more people are switching to cloth diapering
SilverSabre25 12:17 PM 10-04-2011
Originally Posted by MamaJ:
perhaps this decrease in disposable diaper spending really just points towards a shift in buying and really means that more people are switching to cloth diapering
That thought crossed my mind as well.
MommyMuffin 12:29 PM 10-04-2011
I have thought of cloth diapering my own child to save money and hand washing so that I didnt waste so much water using the washing machine. I've never done it though.
SilverSabre25 12:35 PM 10-04-2011
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
I have thought of cloth diapering my own child to save money and hand washing so that I didnt waste so much water using the washing machine. I've never done it though.
I cloth diaper and trust me--you don't use *that* much water. It's 2-3 extra loads per week. I wash mine on the cycle with a soak and a second rinse and they come out just fine. You can get the diapers off eBay/CL to cut the start-up cost.
Meyou 12:45 PM 10-04-2011
My DC family that diapers says its 1/2 load extra per night but they only have one set of liners so they have to be done daily. I personally perfer them now. Cloth fits better and is just as absorbant. No droopy diaper waddle either. They spent $180 for a set of eight diapers and 16 liners and have never spent another penny on diapers for their 15 month old.
CountryMommy 12:52 PM 10-04-2011
Yea, I know tons of families switched to cloth because of the money savings.

I use cloth and after trying a whole bunch of expensive brands I found a brand (I absolutely love this brand) that is allowing me to cloth diaper my girl for $300. This includes all the accessories you need to cloth diaper like cloth wipes, diaper pail and liner, and a wet bag. Not to mention, the resale value of cloth diapers is awesome. I have been able to sell all of the diapers my daughter no longer uses for 90% of their cost. Yea, it's amazing what people will pay for used poop catchers.

With those kinds of savings, it's no wonder people are switching over to cloth.

Although I do believe that numbers in diaper sales have gone down not just because of people switching to cloth diapers. People, at least the ones I know, are definitely leaving their kids in their diapers for way longer than recommended. A lot of moms I know don't change their kids' diapers unless it's hanging down to their knees or they have pooped.
JenNJ 01:45 PM 10-04-2011
I went to cloth with my second for cost savings and for environmental purposes. I spent a total of $235 for all diapers, wipes, and accessories to completely cloth diaper her. And I sold all of it when she was potty trained for $215. So technically my supplies cost me $20.

It worked out to be an extra 2 loads of laundry per week. The cost of extra water/detergent vs. disposable diapers and wipes was still a SIGNIFICANT cost savings. Even on sale, disposables are $.10+ a piece.
Maddy'sMommy 02:28 PM 10-04-2011
It's a scary thought to think of not being able to provide the necessities for your children. The stats are apparently 1 in 5 Canadian women have trouble buying the basic supplies for their children. This is why I always suggest that people try to donate diapers and baby formula to food banks.

Cloth diapers do sound like an inexpensive alternative, but with many daycares not allowing cloth diapers, some parents have to buy disposables for at least part of the day.
jojosmommy 07:12 PM 10-04-2011
Outside of the cloth diaper thing the thing that stuck out to me was the phrase:

"Dollar sales fell nearly three percent, indicating parents are both cutting back and trading down to cheaper private labels.

Dollar sales of diapers in the four weeks fell four percent at Huggies maker Kimberly-Clark Corp. Procter & Gamble, maker of Pampers and Luvs, saw dollar sales drop 2.5 percent. Even generics were down, with sales of private-label diapers slipping 0.5 percent."

I immediately thought of diaper coupons which are getting more and more popular. I WILL NOT buy diapers w/o a coupon and additionally pre-purchase the ones I need when target has the price stacked with a free gift card deal. I would estimate that more and more people are being more purposeful about when and how they purchase necessities bringing down the total dollars spent on these items. I dont change less often, I buy more logically.
Tags:article, diapers
Reply Up