Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Oh, Canada
Michelle 12:48 PM 11-21-2013
http://mom.me/toddler/10049-mom-gets...6pLid%3D408968

Can one of you explain this?
Do you guys have to do this too?

lovemylife 12:53 PM 11-21-2013
My husband saw this yesterday and showed me! Absolutely crazy!!
Meyou 01:34 PM 11-21-2013
Our school has a healthy eating policy and items that don't fit into the policy are removed from the child's lunch. I really don't know if they offer substitutes but there is definitely no fine or food group requirements. I actually posted this on facebook the other day because I was so irritated about it. My kids regularly don't take a grain for lunch since their diet is balanced over an entire day.
Luna 04:59 PM 11-21-2013
I'm in Ontario and licensing requires the components I see mentioned on the note. We must serve those foods, so if parents are providing the food and all of the components aren't there, I guess the center would have to serve it from their own supplies. It looks like the fee set by this center for doing that is $5 per child and this family had 2 children whose lunches were supplemented. There is no fine,but if licensing happened to be around that day and children weren't served what was required it would be a noncompliance, putting the center's license at risk.
Canada's Food Guide doesn't say anything about how healthy or processed food should be, but these are the requirements we must meet.
Michelle 05:11 PM 11-21-2013
There are so many of my parents that would be fined so much .. they would have to file bankruptcy

I think it's great that Canada is proactive with kids health, it's just the fines that get me.

Oh, wait I see it's not the country that gives the fine, it's the center.
that makes since
thanks
Play Care 03:20 AM 11-22-2013
Originally Posted by Luna:
I'm in Ontario and licensing requires the components I see mentioned on the note. We must serve those foods, so if parents are providing the food and all of the components aren't there, I guess the center would have to serve it from their own supplies. It looks like the fee set by this center for doing that is $5 per child and this family had 2 children whose lunches were supplemented. There is no fine,but if licensing happened to be around that day and children weren't served what was required it would be a noncompliance, putting the center's license at risk.Canada's Food Guide doesn't say anything about how healthy or processed food should be, but these are the requirements we must meet.
And the parents were probably made aware of this when they signed on but conveniently forgot And now they are howling about the "FEE" which covered the cost of the food item, claiming it's a fine.
And Americans are in a tizzy over something in another country while their country falls to crap...
Luna 04:02 AM 11-22-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
And the parents were probably made aware of this when they signed on but conveniently forgot And now they are howling about the "FEE" which covered the cost of the food item, claiming it's a fine.
:
Yep. People in Canada are howling too. It was all over Facebook and I had to sit on my hands to keep from commenting. Some were even saying "what if the child had allergies, or was vegan?" Well, the parents sent meat for lunch, so not vegan. If there was an allergy the center would be aware. Read the whoooole story, people.
Please.
Meyou 04:26 AM 11-22-2013
Yep. People in Canada are howling too. It was all over Facebook and I had to sit on my hands to keep from commenting. Some were even saying "what if the child had allergies, or was vegan?" Well, the parents sent meat for lunch, so not vegan. If there was an allergy the center would be aware. Read the whoooole story, people.
Please.
The parent sent healthy whole food lunches and was penalized for it when KD, fruit by the foot and pepperoni sticks would have met the requirements. If you want to get totally technical potato is full of fiber and carbs which is the purpose of eating whole grains.

There is something to be said for common sense when enforcing guidelines like this......

My girls regularly don't take grains and I would fight this rule with every "fiber" of my being if it was in my school.
Luna 04:43 AM 11-22-2013
It wouldn't be the school you'd need to fight, it would be licensing.
All kinds of garbage meets the requirements and kudos to the parents for doing the work to provide a healthy lunch for their children. Still, the requirements must be met so maybe the $5/child fee will help them remember to put a piece of whole grain bread or something in there.
I'm imagining a day in the past at this center...
"Junior is missing his grain in his lunch. Everything else is homemade and healthy, but no grain.
We need to serve him a grain from our own supplies. It's costing us a fortune to top up these kids lunches to meet requirements. We need to charge a fee to recoup some of our money and help parents remember.
Also, if we top it up with something we know darn well they would never serve their child, that might help them remember too."
I also wonder if parents are providing food, what would the center have on hand? They wouldn't be stocking up on food so there was probably a limited choice of grains, and it would probably something that has a bit of a longer shelf life.
countrymom 05:57 AM 11-22-2013
this is the most dumbest thing ever. My kids are in school and I pack garbage in their lunch because--
1.way to many allegies
2.they have less than 10 min. to eat their lunch
3.try making 4 lunches every day lol!

but why do they need to meet the requirements at lunch. My kids eat a very healthy breakfast everyday and a healthy dinner (every hear of kids who fight over broccoli or green beans for dinner) so why try to shove it all at one meal. And why would I waste food like this, what happens if my child doesn't eat whole wheat bread (my own kids don't) so why would I send something they don't eat just to meet the daycares standards.
Unregistered 06:21 AM 11-22-2013
Also in Ontario here. The 10-15 minutes tops to eat at school is fun is it not. Trying to pack up a quick litterless, nut free, healthy well rounded (junk food not allowed & will get you a note from teacher) boomerang lunch is fun sometimes. Homemade soup in thermos, with roll, peeled boiled egg, fruit and carrots is our stand by.
countrymom 07:12 AM 11-22-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Also in Ontario here. The 10-15 minutes tops to eat at school is fun is it not. Trying to pack up a quick litterless, nut free, healthy well rounded (junk food not allowed & will get you a note from teacher) boomerang lunch is fun sometimes. Homemade soup in thermos, with roll, peeled boiled egg, fruit and carrots is our stand by.
we can't send boiled eggs anymore because they smell. Omg, the litterless lunch drives me crazy. If I had one kid to make a lunch for wouldn't be bad, but I'm making 4 lunches every morning for my kids (no I will not make my kids make their lunches) lucky our school doesn't send home notes, but the day they do they will get an earful from me. Also, (my dd is a lunch monitor) she is shocked how fast kids have to eat to finish their lunch, its crazy. At my kids school they don't want kids bringing snacks out for morning recess and afternoon recess-my kids still do.
AnneCordelia 07:35 AM 11-22-2013
The Canada food guide is ridiculous imo. What about gluten free, vegetarians, paleo and other nutritional structures? Not to mention that if they are charging $5/kid they could at least provide a wholesome grain.
Michelle 08:19 AM 11-22-2013
Originally Posted by AnneCordelia:
The Canada food guide is ridiculous imo. What about gluten free, vegetarians, paleo and other nutritional structures? Not to mention that if they are charging $5/kid they could at least provide a wholesome grain.
You have a point there!
I think parents and kids should have the choice of what to feed their kids.
I had a first grade girl whose mom packed her crackers, cheese, and apple slices on a regular basis and the teacher told her that's not enough for a lunch and that it was her snack and make her eat it for snack then gave her a school lunch which the mom got billed for ( around $2) it was a hot dog and salad..ugh

This mom was so mad and then the school kept trying to get her to sign up for free lunch. She probably qualified for it but just didn't want to sign up for personal reasons.
countrymom 08:42 AM 11-22-2013
or wait. there's a daycare center here who advertises hot lunches. guess what they say is their hot lunch---rolled up lunch meat, with a warm crossoint lol! or the daycare centers that serve 2 yr olds baked beans or sloppy joes, ya thats healthy (ok, you can make the sloppy joes healthy but how many really do) oh this is taken from another daycare center in the city near me.
Luna 10:57 AM 11-22-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
this is the most dumbest thing ever. My kids are in school and I pack garbage in their lunch because--
1.way to many allegies
2.they have less than 10 min. to eat their lunch
3.try making 4 lunches every day lol!

but why do they need to meet the requirements at lunch. My kids eat a very healthy breakfast everyday and a healthy dinner (every hear of kids who fight over broccoli or green beans for dinner) so why try to shove it all at one meal. And why would I waste food like this, what happens if my child doesn't eat whole wheat bread (my own kids don't) so why would I send something they don't eat just to meet the daycares standards.
It isn't for the daycare's standards, it's for licensing requirements.
countrymom 11:03 AM 11-22-2013
It isn't for the daycare's standards, it's for licensing requirements.
that doesn't make sense then. Because all the licensed daycares here have to supply the food and they need to follow the day nursury act. The parents have nothing to do with the day nursury act. They are not the ones who signed up for the licensed, it was the daycare, so its the daycares problem not the parents. kwim. You can't charge a third person party for something like this.
Luna 11:10 AM 11-22-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
that doesn't make sense then. Because all the licensed daycares here have to supply the food and they need to follow the day nursury act. The parents have nothing to do with the day nursury act. They are not the ones who signed up for the licensed, it was the daycare, so its the daycares problem not the parents. kwim. You can't charge a third person party for something like this.
If the center has to supply the food, why did the parents send food? I'm sorry, I'm not understanding what you're saying.
countrymom 11:12 AM 11-22-2013
it had nothing to do with licensing, it was a school policy. You either bought their hot lunch or you have to supply your own lunch but at their standards--sounds like a way to get money out of parents. They have now changed the policy. and since when have ritz crackers be considered a grain product.
countrymom 11:14 AM 11-22-2013
If the center has to supply the food, why did the parents send food? I'm sorry, I'm not understanding what you're saying.
the daycare gave the parents the option of either buying their hot lunches or you supply your own.
Heidi 11:25 AM 11-22-2013
Well, I get it, but I don't necessarily like it.

Charging $5 for the Ritz Crackers is a little bit like us charging $5 to supply a diaper. It's not because the diaper costs $5. It's because it's the parent's responsibility to provide them, and not "forget". I don't do that, btw, but I know a lot of providers do have a charge for that sort of thing.

I get that mom probably thought of the potatoes as a grain. Our food program doesn't, though, and I it sure sounds like the school/daycare provided the information to parent.

They can also only keep so much food on hand for the forgetters. Today it was this lady with a grain, tomorrow someone will forget a veggie, or milk. How much can the school keep in reserve easily to fill in the holes? A slice of whole-grain bread would have been better, obviously.
Michelle 01:00 PM 11-22-2013
How stressful it must be for a child to have your teacher walking around checking to make sure your lunch that your mommy packed for you is good enough.
Reply Up