Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do I Do???
KristinsHomeCC 12:49 PM 07-20-2015
Family Home here.

I have a mom who will text me, anytime of the night. She will take a picture of something I can barely even see and asks if I know how it happened. He's 13 months old and into everything. . . I watch him like a hawk but things happen. It's not even full on scratches though! Its the most petty little marks. I understand a mom is to protect her baby but does anyone agree it's a little too much?? Anything big I let her know at pick up. If he's not actually getting hurt and theres barely a mark, I dont get it. She just returned to work since having him so I hope it'll fade as time goes on. It just stresses me out so much when he DOES get hurt because how she acts over a mark 2 shades darker than his skin! !
TXhomedaycare 12:58 PM 07-20-2015
I would nip it in the bud now. Don't let it go on any longer and assume she is going to stop. Let her know the times you are available to be contacted and if she still tries to contact you outside of that time frame don't reply until you are available for contact again. I would also let her know kids will be kids and they get little scratches from time to time whether it be with you or at home. Let her know you are thorough and that if you feel something needs to be brought to her attention you will let her know. If you have professional First aid training I would reminder her of that.
Thriftylady 03:19 PM 07-20-2015
Originally Posted by TXhomedaycare:
I would nip it in the bud now. Don't let it go on any longer and assume she is going to stop. Let her know the times you are available to be contacted and if she still tries to contact you outside of that time frame don't reply until you are available for contact again. I would also let her know kids will be kids and they get little scratches from time to time whether it be with you or at home. Let her know you are thorough and that if you feel something needs to be brought to her attention you will let her know. If you have professional First aid training I would reminder her of that.
THIS

I even have it in my handbook, that I supervise as much as possible, but even with that I can't protect them from every bump, scrape or scratch, those things are part of being a kid!
bklsmum 03:43 PM 07-20-2015
I don't play this game with my parents. I tell her once that you will tell her about any big issues and that you do not communicate with clients all ours of the night and then I would ignore her the next time. If it happens more than a few more times I would warn her that a term will be coming if it continues.
Shell 04:53 PM 07-20-2015
Originally Posted by TXhomedaycare:

AmyKidsCo 07:15 PM 07-20-2015
ITA with everyone else. My policies say "Actively playing children will get bumps and bruises..."
MommyMuffin 11:19 AM 07-21-2015
I agree with all pp.

Then I would let her know that if she is still concerned about his play here you have a skin assessment you will use if she like.

This may sound strange and like a lot of work but I would do a visual skin check (with clothes on obviously)when dcb arrives, use a skin assessment sheet (basically just drawn a person). Mark on page any marks you see, sign, date and time on the sheet.
Do the same at the end of the day. Notify parent of any "new" marks and have her sign the sheet.

It may seem like a lot of work but 1. it will cover your butt 2. hopefully she will get sick of taking the time each day to go over a scratch and having to sign the paper.
stephanie 05:16 PM 07-21-2015
I agree with PPs, tell her that you may only be contacted during business hours (or whatever hours you want to set) and any communication you receive from her outside of those hours will be answered the next morning, etc.

MommyMuffin's idea is a good one, the skin chart will be a pain but maybe by using it twice a day every day dcm will realize how ridiculous she's acting. And it will definitely give you some peace of mind.

I've had dcparents like these before and it is super stressful, good luck!
daycare 05:29 PM 07-21-2015
in my state we are madated reporters of child abuse.

I tell parents at enrollment that i will require open communication about injuries that happen here , as well as at home. I tell them that I will question them and I expect them to do the same. I do tell them that I would like all of us to be proactive and inform me at drop off telling me what happen.

I tell them little things like small leg bruises or scratches, I don't need them to report to me, it is obvious it's just the child living life. I will however, always do my best to let them know when something happens here.

I will take a pic of it and send it to them right away with a small captain.

FYI:
Joey took a tumble in the sandbox today. After a little TLC, soap, water and a band-aid and he's back to new again. See you at pick up.

I also tell parents that kids are going to play, fall and may even get hurt. I will do everything I can to keep them safe, but some things we just can't avoid, like tripping over their own two feet.

I would tell this mom this and that while you understand her concerns, she needs to trust you. Also, not text will be accepted after closing.

I have a few parents that will send me some telling me their child won't be coming the next day or so and I just don't respond until opening the next day.

sorry you are going through this and hope that it gets better
Crazy8 06:45 AM 07-22-2015
agree with the others - nip it in the bud now. Toddlers toddle, that's what they do and sometimes it means a bump or a scratch. I also would not reply to texts more than a half hour after they leave.

Does anyone else kinda love when the kids of this type of parent come in with a nice big bruise on the forehead and mom has to tell you how child fell off the couch and hit the coffee table on HER watch. Or is that just me???
Blackcat31 09:40 AM 07-22-2015
Originally Posted by Crazy8:

Does anyone else kinda love when the kids of this type of parent come in with a nice big bruise on the forehead and mom has to tell you how child fell off the couch and hit the coffee table on HER watch. Or is that just me???
...it's usually prefaced with "Well, normally I do x but... "

Or "Dad was watching her and ......."

But yes, I get those too! It's always hard to hide my laughter.
Reply Up