Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Help With Wording Reminders
organicdclady 04:41 PM 02-28-2016
I have had some major issues this week with multiple families. First, drop off for one child is nightmare she has been screaming and crying and mom stayed for over 20 min one day trying to console her (I wasn't here, assistant was here with 3 dck). I have a dad dropping off earlier and earlier everyday, up to 30 min early now. Mom is picking up 15 min late and hanging around for another 15 trying to chat. Her baby is the last to go, and its irritating I am closing 30 min late. Older SA boy is running for the door while mom is collecting back back/other child and opening it by himself.
I need to post a notice reminding parents of smooth separation and being mindful of drop off/pick up times. No more than 5 min early and PLEASE don't be late or I WILL be charging late fees effective immediately. Pick up/drop off should last no more than 5 min. Please call me for a meeting if you need to discuss something. All this is covered in my handbook/contracts but I need a friendly reminder before I start going HAM. Any ideas?
Play Care 03:10 AM 02-29-2016
Honestly? I wouldn't bother writing a reminder. I would verbally address each person who is the "guilty" party.

General memos are fine for reminders about more winter clothing or that you need tissues, etc. But when policy reminders are in them I find the parents who you want to address don't think you mean them, and the ones who are following policy feel scolded for everyone else.

"DCD, I've noticed you have been dropping off Sally at x time. You are not contracted until x time. If you need additional time it's x dollars extra. Do you need additional time or should we expect Sally at her contracted time?" Said with a big

"DCM, As a parent I know it's upsetting when your child seems so upset in the AM and you want to make sure they are okay. However, Jane is FINE once you leave. If she were unable to settle in I would absolutely let you know. Drop offs need to be done with a quick hug and kiss and "I'll see you later!" because the longer a parent stay, the more upset the child becomes. I know you don't want that!" All said in a reassuring tone and with a

Good Luck!
DaveA 04:40 AM 02-29-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Honestly? I wouldn't bother writing a reminder. I would verbally address each person who is the "guilty" party.

Good Luck!
Agreed- memos are like group meetings. The people who should hear it the most listen the least. Directly address each person about the issue.
nannyde 05:12 AM 02-29-2016
DO NOT GIVE FIVE MINUTES.

On time.only.
Five turns to seven... seven to ten ... ten to twelve

Get a clock for the outside and don't allow them in one minute early.
Thriftylady 05:17 AM 02-29-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:

General memos are fine for reminders about more winter clothing or that you need tissues, etc. But when policy reminders are in them I find the parents who you want to address don't think you mean them, and the ones who are following policy feel scolded for everyone else.

"DCD, I've noticed you have been dropping off Sally at x time. You are not contracted until x time. If you need additional time it's x dollars extra. Do you need additional time or should we expect Sally at her contracted time?" Said with a big

"DCM, As a parent I know it's upsetting when your child seems so upset in the AM and you want to make sure they are okay. However, Jane is FINE once you leave. If she were unable to settle in I would absolutely let you know. Drop offs need to be done with a quick hug and kiss and "I'll see you later!" because the longer a parent stay, the more upset the child becomes. I know you don't want that!" All said in a reassuring tone and with a

Good Luck!
I agree with this. I HATE having these discussions with parents, it makes my anxiety crazy. But it seem the general reminders leave parents thinking it doesn't apply to them. I put a blurb in my last newsletter, because one mom was bringing kids in with food. The very next morning, you guessed it food again.
Reply Up