Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Open Door
Cccdcia 07:04 AM 01-21-2014
So just wondering if everyone leaves there front door unlocked or locked I have a some parents that walk in and some will knock, but sometimes I'll be in bAthroom and I'll hear knock knock, iam like omg!
Play Care 07:06 AM 01-21-2014
The only time my door is unlocked is during scheduled drop offs and pick ups. I let all parents know that due to safety concerns the door will be locked at all other times.
DaycareMom 07:08 AM 01-21-2014
I ALWAYS have my door locked. They need to knock.
LadyPearl 07:14 AM 01-21-2014
My families walk in. I find it odd. I would knock......
sharlan 07:15 AM 01-21-2014
I have an automatic lock on my front door. It's always locked. I have one parent that has the code, the rest have to knock or ring the doorbell.
Blackcat31 07:20 AM 01-21-2014
Some other threads about locked/unlocked doors

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=locked+doors
https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16008
https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14784
melilley 07:26 AM 01-21-2014
I keep my door unlocked. I tell my parents just to come in when they get here because my front door is in the daycare room anyways and also sometimes we are outside (unfortunately, they have to walk through the house to get to the backyard) or are doing something. I'm also comfortable knowing that I live in a safe neighborhood or else I wouldn't leave it unlocked.
Annalee 07:28 AM 01-21-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
I keep my door unlocked. I tell my parents just to come in when they get here because my front door is in the daycare room anyways and also sometimes we are outside (unfortunately, they have to walk through the house to get to the backyard) or are doing something. I'm also comfortable knowing that I live in a safe neighborhood or else I wouldn't leave it unlocked.
Licensing now allows us to keep our doors locked for safety as part of our emergency procedures deal. I have a sign on front that says to call or knock upon arrival.
jenboo 07:31 AM 01-21-2014
My parents come down the side yard and through a sliding glass door that goes right into the daycare room.
I unlock it when the parents are dropping off and then lock it once everyone is here.
I unlock it after nap and the lock it again after the kids are all gone.

I will also lock it during pick up and drop off if I have to leave the room (ex. go to the bathroom, feed the dogs)

Im more worried about kids running outside vs someone coming into my house.
_Dana_ 07:51 AM 01-21-2014
I keep our doors locked, no exceptions.

Last year, my younger son's child care provider was held-up at gunpoint and the teachers were robbed. The man simply walked in just as the last parent was leaving. (The provider kept the doors unlocked during dropoff and pick ups, but locked the rest of the day.) That last parent didn't even know the man wasn't a parent b/c he walked in like he belonged and figured he dropping something off.

Getting that call was heart wrenching. Thank God everyone was okay....but they never did catch the man and I still wonder exactly what happened and what my son witnessed.

Granted, this happened in a different country, but I'm still not taking any chances.
lovemykidstoo 07:51 AM 01-21-2014
I keep mine locked. I have only had 1 mom that would just walk right in every morning and night. Drove me nuts. She scared the crap out of me one day when I turned around in my kitchen and there she was. Gave me a heart attack!! This is my home first, daycare second. The door was usually locked, but sometimes if someone just left or my kids were in or out they would forget to lock. So after a few months of her continuing to try the door and it was locked, she finally started knocking. Another reason I like to lock it is that when the kids come in in the morning, they stand right inside the door and take their coats off. WEll, if you just walk in and open the door, you're going to knock them over. I have a very small room when you come in the door.
SilverSabre25 08:22 AM 01-21-2014
Parents are allowed to walk-in at pick-up. At drop-off they knock.

I have one annoying one that picks up dcb for preschool in the middle of the day and she knocks and then knocks again within about two seconds and then won't stop.
Laurel 08:28 AM 01-21-2014
Locked always. They must knock. Security reasons.

Laurel
Meeko 09:23 AM 01-21-2014
Locked. Always.

It's a home....not a public building. I would never just open the door and walk into someone's else's home, and I expect that same respect.

Some say that parents should be able to walk in un-announced to check up on their children. I feel that if a parent has so little faith in me that they can't wait just a few seconds for me to open the door...then they need to go elsewhere.

My own children are all grown, but I would not have left them in a home or center where people could wander in off the street.
Blackcat31 09:27 AM 01-21-2014
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Locked. Always.

It's a home....not a public building. I would never just open the door and walk into someone's else's home, and I expect that same respect.

Some say that parents should be able to walk in un-announced to check up on their children. I feel that if a parent has so little faith in me that they can't wait just a few seconds for me to open the door...then they need to go elsewhere.

My own children are all grown, but I would not have left them in a home or center where people could wander in off the street.
YES!!!

...BIG difference between an "Open door" policy and having an "open/unlocked" door.
Unregistered 10:21 AM 01-21-2014
Does anyone know what the official NYS policy is about locked/unlocked doors? At my last inspection my registrar casually said something about checking to see egress door was unlocked - but I can't find anything specific in the regs and I'm confused. Thanks.
daycarediva 11:18 AM 01-21-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
I USED to do this, and then I found a dcm snooping around my kitchen (going through drawers in my roll top desk, looking for a 'pen') same day, dcb saw his mom pull up and I grabbed him JUST as he was leaving my front porch.

Originally Posted by jenboo:
My parents come down the side yard and through a sliding glass door that goes right into the daycare room.
I unlock it when the parents are dropping off and then lock it once everyone is here.
I unlock it after nap and the lock it again after the kids are all gone.

I will also lock it during pick up and drop off if I have to leave the room (ex. go to the bathroom, feed the dogs)

Now I do this. Unlocked during your scheduled pick up/drop off. Come early or late, and it's locked. It's also locked if I have to step away from the door for ANY reason.
preschoolteacher 11:21 AM 01-21-2014
This is an interesting thread! I was SOOO freaked out the first time a parent walked in without knocking. It scared me! Half of my parents knock and half of them walk in now. Dads NEVER walk in. Moms are always the ones who do that. I don't mind if they're coming right at their designated pick-up/drop-off time. I'm expecting them anyways, so it doesn't surprise me then.

I recently had a client walk right in 30 minutes early for drop off though, and I found that pretty weird. This mom doesn't have a good sense of personal boundaries, however.

I know that most of the parents who walk in think that they are helping me by not making me come to the door. I still think it's weird. It's still my house, and I'm just not used to people walking in when I'm not expecting anyone.
Meeko 11:29 AM 01-21-2014
We are required to have an "open door" policy.
This does NOT mean unlocked doors.

It means parents can come in any time they wish while their child is in care. Big difference. Even then.....open door does not mean parents have free access to the house and all the kids. They must be invited in, and supervised. I do not let any parent near a child who is not their own.

Any parent caught wandering in my home or touching my belongings would be kicked out. On the spot. No excuses.
TwinKristi 01:07 PM 01-21-2014
Locked, parents always knock. I've never had someone just walk in! No way! parents are allowed to come whenever they'd like but they have to knock first!
BrooklynM 02:47 PM 01-21-2014
Always locked. I, like I'm sure many other providers often times have to pee with the bathroom door open!
Josiegirl 04:08 PM 01-21-2014
Hmm, I've always left my door unlocked because it's a pain to be changing diapers when someone is waiting at the door, etc. But I may be changing that very soon. I grab my dogs and get them into the bedroom before dcps make it to the door(I usually see them arrive) but I'm afraid one of these times the dogs will greet them first. I feel relatively safe in this neighborhood but there's always that one chance.
I don't really mind the dcps coming in whenever. BUT one day a former dcm showed up and walked right in and THAT pi$$ed me off.
hope 05:42 PM 01-21-2014
All entry/exit doors in my home chime when opened. Part of my alarm system. I leave doors unlocked at drop off n pick up times which lasts only about 5 minutes and I am in my foyer and can see anyone coming to the door. Doors are locked and security system armed all day otherwise.
We have the chimes on our doors bc we have an in ground pool in the back yard. Many parents panic when they see this due to safety reasons. I freak out thinking of what could happen! So we have the doors locked and alarm on. If alarm is off and doors are unlocked doors will chime alerting me if a child were to try to sneak out. Also have pool fence and pool alarm. The pool alarm would wake the whole neighborhood if it went off.
Meeko 05:26 AM 01-22-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Hmm, I've always left my door unlocked because it's a pain to be changing diapers when someone is waiting at the door, etc. But I may be changing that very soon. I grab my dogs and get them into the bedroom before dcps make it to the door(I usually see them arrive) but I'm afraid one of these times the dogs will greet them first. I feel relatively safe in this neighborhood but there's always that one chance.
I don't really mind the dcps coming in whenever. BUT one day a former dcm showed up and walked right in and THAT pi$$ed me off.
If a parent has to wait because you are changing a diaper....let them wait. If any parent thinks you are doing "something wrong" during that time and doesn't understand you are busy with a child.....should be shown the door and leave with a footprint on their backside......just sayin'......
childcaremom 05:51 AM 01-22-2014
I used to keep my doors unlocked all the time. Safe neighbourhood and all that.

Then one day I suspected that a dcp had been walking around my upstairs after dropping his daughter off and saying goodbye.

The next day I sent out a notice that my door would now always be locked. Parents have to knock at drop off and pick up. And then wait for me to be able to answer the door.

As a bonus, pick up and drop off times are very short now with no more lingering parents
AnneCordelia 06:00 AM 01-22-2014
I used to have a fam that the dad and grandma would just walk in cause they arrived right after dh left for work and I had yet to lock the door again. I would say "Oh! I didnt hear you knock!" and it only happened a few times. Otherwise I keep doors locked and parents knock.
Angelsj 06:09 AM 01-22-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
YES!!!

...BIG difference between an "Open door" policy and having an "open/unlocked" door.
I agree, however, here, I leave it unlocked. We are a tiny little town and I am quite comfortable. The porch has latched gates that adults can open, but not kiddos. It is a big house, and while I can hear the door and know people are there, I don't want to take a naked toddler or baby to the door if a parent is just picking up.
Two caveats. I trust my parents, and feel comfortable they won't abuse this. Also, I feel safe. When we lived in Leavenworth, the door was always locked.
I have also trained the children NOT to answer the door. They don't even go near it at any point.
Angelsj 06:11 AM 01-22-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I USED to do this, and then I found a dcm snooping around my kitchen (going through drawers in my roll top desk, looking for a 'pen') same day, dcb saw his mom pull up and I grabbed him JUST as he was leaving my front porch.

Now I do this. Unlocked during your scheduled pick up/drop off. Come early or late, and it's locked. It's also locked if I have to step away from the door for ANY reason.
Wow? People can be so forward!! That would not go over well. If you need a pen (or anything else) ASK!
melilley 06:24 AM 01-22-2014
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I sometimes worry about this too, but here we have to have a lock that anyone can open in case of emergency. So that means I basically have to have a lock where it can be opened from the inside if locked, but not from the outside.
Blackcat31 08:20 AM 01-22-2014
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
I agree, however, here, I leave it unlocked. We are a tiny little town and I am quite comfortable. The porch has latched gates that adults can open, but not kiddos. It is a big house, and while I can hear the door and know people are there, I don't want to take a naked toddler or baby to the door if a parent is just picking up.
Two caveats. I trust my parents, and feel comfortable they won't abuse this. Also, I feel safe. When we lived in Leavenworth, the door was always locked.
I have also trained the children NOT to answer the door. They don't even go near it at any point.
I agree! I keep my door unlocked all the time. I live in a fairly close knit community too and I feel 100% safe leaving the door unlocked.

I actually complain about parents that knock...it's disruptive and gets all the kids going.

I know when parents arrive because I can hear them. I live in the country so I am pretty good at recognizing a car driving by verses pulling into the driveway or stopping outside.

I also have a driveway buzzer that buzzes when someone parks there and the neighbors have a million little ankle biter dogs that bark any time anyone even approaches the house.

I have a completely gated off entryway/coatroom too so there is a lot for anyone to pass through to get in or out.

My DCK's are "trained" to stay 3 feet back from any doorway too so I know they aren't going to run out or escape.

I think many parents and providers misunderstand the difference between "open door policy" and whether we can or can't lock our doors.
MarinaVanessa 08:32 AM 01-22-2014
We are required to have an "open door" policy.
This does NOT mean unlocked doors..
This. We have an "open door" policy also but my front door is always locked. I keep it locked because of safety reasons. I don't want some random Joe Shmo walking into my house when it's just me and the DCKs. But I have a lock with a keypad and I give my clients their own codes so they can get in. I don't mind them walking in whenever because I'd rather they come in than me have to stop whatever I'm doing to let them in. Plus my codes for clients only work during their contracted schedule.
SSWonders 09:20 AM 01-22-2014
My front door is always open and parents walk in and down to my daycare space, which is located in the basement. I've got too much to do to be going up and down the stairs all day.
rosieteddy 10:25 AM 01-22-2014
Hi new to this forum****nning a daycare home for almost 30 yrs(yikes).I used to have unlocked policy but over the years have changed to a knock and I take the child in.Parents can be disruptive to the routine and I found the longer they stay the harder it is for some children.I also started a new routine of having everyone ready at pick-up time.When its dark we sit in front porch-foyer and read stories for 15 min .Nice weather parents pick-up outside Legally any parent has a right to come at any time,but I discourage that.I jokingly say you wake em you take them. No parent has decided to test this. Drop off is all at the same time so it works.
Second Home 07:05 AM 01-30-2014
Reg here state that we are not allowed to lock our doors during operating hours . It is so that any kid can get out easily if there was an emergency.

None of my parents or kids are allowed to just open my door to come in or out , they must all knock or ring the doorbell and wait .

I had 1 parent just walk in once and I told her that was not allowed and it can never happen again or they will need to find other child care ,
TwinKristi 07:19 AM 01-30-2014
You CAN'T lock your doors??? I don't know that I would want to run a childcare if that was the case. I don't live in a bad neighborhood by any means, but once in awhile you hear about a break in or some door to door people casing houses.
originalkat 07:42 AM 01-30-2014
My parents walk into the Kitchen nook for drop off and pick-up. This is where their cubbies are and where we eat breakfast and have quiet activities in the AM and PM. All parents drop off by 8:30 and I am in the Kitchen when they arrive so I have them walk in. At 8:30 I lock the door. I unlock after nap and parents start arriving between 3-5:30 to pick-up. We are in the Kitchen nook during this time so I keep the door unlocked and they come in as they get here. I lock the door as soon a the last one leaves.
I am RARELY inn the bathroom during drop off and pickup times. I try to do that at other times so I am never caught off guard.
Jack Sprat 11:34 AM 01-30-2014
Some of my parents knock and wait for me open the door, some knock and then enter. My door is locked until first dck arrives at 6am then locked until my next arrivals at 7:45. I keep the door locked in the morning as dcb has figured out how to open the door. After nap I have it unlocked. My oldest is arriving home from school, parents are starting to come and its a pain to run to the door every time someone arrives. Plus, their knocking or ringing doorbell sets our dogs off. I usually know someone is here because one of the dogs will start whining and carrying on.

In the summer the front door is usually open but, the screen door on the porch is locked all the time.
snbauser 12:33 PM 01-30-2014
Unlocked during drop offs and pick ups and locked after the last parent drops off. BUT I can also see anyone walking up to the door because of the large picture window in our classroom. If I have to use the bathroom or leave the room during those times, the door is locked.
jenn 12:50 PM 01-30-2014
Locked. Always.

Exactly this
Tags:locked doors, locking doors, safety issues, unlocked doors
Reply Up