Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Personal Info, To Share or Not to Share...
yodaone 07:09 AM 08-23-2016
I'm divorced and happily remarried. I have three wonderful children from my previous marriage and my ex and I share them split custody 50/50, week on-week off.
As I'm interviewing families many of them want to know how many kids I have and how many daycare kids I have, yadda, yadda. Sometime my personal kids are with me at that time and sometimes they are not, so it can lead to me feeling I need to explain why I'm saying I have 3 kids, but they are not there.
I'm wondering though if families are judging me and if it affects whether or not they choose me for their provider. What do you think? Should I be sharing this personal info about myself or is it none of their business?
Unregistered 07:26 AM 08-23-2016
None of their business.

"I have 3 kids."
sharlan 07:30 AM 08-23-2016
None of their business.
organicdclady 07:46 AM 08-23-2016
Originally Posted by yodaone:
I'm divorced and happily remarried. I have three wonderful children from my previous marriage and my ex and I share them split custody 50/50, week on-week off.
As I'm interviewing families many of them want to know how many kids I have and how many daycare kids I have, yadda, yadda. Sometime my personal kids are with me at that time and sometimes they are not, so it can lead to me feeling I need to explain why I'm saying I have 3 kids, but they are not there.
I'm wondering though if families are judging me and if it affects whether or not they choose me for their provider. What do you think? Should I be sharing this personal info about myself or is it none of their business?
You should never feel forced to share information about your personal life with daycare families. I do not share anything at all, except for with one family who has been with me forever.
My sons dad and I are not together, I never tell people that. My son is hardly ever here when I tour, I never tell people why. It's not their business. He is usually at some kind of practice-football or motocross. Sometimes he is with his dad. I'm not a bad mom because of any of that, and I never felt like I needed to explain myself. If someone asks, my answer is super simple and I move on.
Controlled Chaos 07:47 AM 08-23-2016
I don't explain why my kids aren't in attendance when they are on an overnight with Grandma, camping with their Tia, at the neighbors house, at a special camp etc. Not their business.
Mike 07:56 AM 08-23-2016
None of their business. You can say you have 3 kids, but where they are isn't their concern. If someone were to ask you where they are, they're being too nosy.
Blackcat31 08:07 AM 08-23-2016
I would simply reply with the least amount of info needed to satisfy the question.

"I have 3 children."

"I am allowed 10 spaces in my child care maximum"
(I never state how many DCK's I have enrolled or in care)

I keep business and family VERY separate and do NOT share with any of my clients anything I do not feel is directly related to the services I offer. As time goes on, I do end up a bit friendlier with some families than I do with others but for the most part I am very private and very separate when it comes to business and personal stuff.

I've had many clients in care for years that know virtually nothing about my private life outside of daycare.

I NEED to know certain things about families but they don't NEED to know or have to know any of the same info in order for me to do my job.
Second Home 10:11 AM 08-23-2016
I simply respond with
" I have 3 kids all middle school aged and above".
Luke25 10:28 AM 08-23-2016
I wouldn't say either. I actually send my kids to my moms or let their dad take them somewhere when I have an interview. I never explain where they are and they don't ask.
I don't think it's right or fair if you lose business because of that but I also don't think you have to explain that to people at all.
Mad_Pistachio 10:38 AM 08-23-2016
Originally Posted by yodaone:
as a parent, I wouldn't care about your marital status.
but then again, it's not my business.
Reply Up