Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Too Many Babies
Shell 04:21 AM 03-13-2014
I had an open spot, and a dcm gave me a referral for a PT new baby that would be looking to start this summer.
The problem is:
1. they need me to open 30 mins before my opening time (I'm not a morning person),
2. I just got two babies through the infant stage, and I am not looking forward to another infant in the summer time (naps, finding lots of shade outside, etc).
3. Part time infant (say no more)

The family chose me, I said I would save the spot, because it was the only call I've gotten in a long time. I don't require a holding fee- so it's kind of like it's my word that I will keep the spot. Last email, I tell the expecting mom to get in touch with me in the next few months to finalize details. No word from her for 1.5 months so far, despite me sending one congratulating them on baby. I only have mom's work email (she's now on maternity).

Meanwhile, an existing FT dc family gives me notice that they are moving this summer, and don't know exactly when. Now, I need to fill the PT spot.

Same dcm with the referral above sends me an older infant for an interview. FT, want to start next month. And, I think I want to take them, but I can't take the PT baby from above due to ratios (only 3 under age 2 in my state).

How do I do this without being totally unprofessional? I know full time trumps part time. Do I give the part time family the option of going full time, do I assume not interested since they haven't responded? Thanks for any advice.
Reply
Margarete 04:48 AM 03-13-2014
No word in 1.5 months, No start date, No contracts. I did this, and they winded up deciding to have one parent stay home with the baby. I would try to get another contact email for them from the dcm that referred them (if not just send it to the work email, the only contact information you have) and let them know you need a start date, contracts signed (with the rate you are willing to do for part time, or full time), and a solid commitment, including perhaps a non-refundable deposit that goes to the first week or two of care (not the same as a holding fee) to continue to hold the spot. Give her a specific time frame to respond, complete paperwork put down a deposit... and if no response by that time you are free to enroll the other family. You could skip the step of trying to find a different email and just send it to the work email if you want, it's not your fault she didn't give you a better way to contact her.
... When did you send the email asking her to get in touch with you "in the next couple of months to finalize details"?

The reason this is tricky is because of both of them being referred to you from the same DCM. It's great shes giving you referrals!
Reply
llpa 04:51 AM 03-13-2014
I wouldn't assume they (pt dcb) aren't interested, since you gave them a several month period to get in touch. Out of courtesy, I would call/email pt mom and tell her you have the opportunity to take a ft child and you need to do that, but are offering her the opp to take a ft position. If she passes, then you will be taking the ft child and won't be able to watch her child. I would also give her a time limit of a few days to respond so you aren't waiting too long to contact the ft family.
Reply
KidGrind 04:54 AM 03-13-2014
The only issue I perceive is you told them to get back with you in a few months. 1.5 months is not a few months. So they seem to be following your instructions.

I would call them. Give them the option to go full-time and start paying a holding fee. If you cannot get in contact with them, Id shoot an e-mail to them. Id give them 48 hours to get back to me. No word from them Id take the FT infant.

Good luck!
Reply
EntropyControlSpecialist 05:19 AM 03-13-2014
Originally Posted by llpa:
I wouldn't assume they (pt dcb) aren't interested, since you gave them a several month period to get in touch. Out of courtesy, I would call/email pt mom and tell her you have the opportunity to take a ft child and you need to do that, but are offering her the opp to take a ft position. If she passes, then you will be taking the ft child and won't be able to watch her child. I would also give her a time limit of a few days to respond so you aren't waiting too long to contact the ft family.
Absolutely. A situation arose and you MUST enroll a full-time child now.
Reply
Shell 05:41 AM 03-13-2014
Originally Posted by Margarete:
No word in 1.5 months, No start date, No contracts. I did this, and they winded up deciding to have one parent stay home with the baby. I would try to get another contact email for them from the dcm that referred them (if not just send it to the work email, the only contact information you have) and let them know you need a start date, contracts signed (with the rate you are willing to do for part time, or full time), and a solid commitment, including perhaps a non-refundable deposit that goes to the first week or two of care (not the same as a holding fee) to continue to hold the spot. Give her a specific time frame to respond, complete paperwork put down a deposit... and if no response by that time you are free to enroll the other family. You could skip the step of trying to find a different email and just send it to the work email if you want, it's not your fault she didn't give you a better way to contact her.
... When did you send the email asking her to get in touch with you "in the next couple of months to finalize details"?

The reason this is tricky is because of both of them being referred to you from the same DCM. It's great shes giving you referrals!
Yeah, the referral dcm is awesome, and I don't want to put her in an awkward spot. The PT dcm is supposed to get back to me in mid-March, but it made me nervous when she didn't respond to the congratulations email I sent on 3/1. They have tons of family in the area, so I am thinking they might figure out daycare on their own? I know it's kind of soon to assume they aren't interested, maybe wishful thinking?!
Reply
EntropyControlSpecialist 05:44 AM 03-13-2014
Originally Posted by mrsmichelle:
Yeah, the referral dcm is awesome, and I don't want to put her in an awkward spot. The PT dcm is supposed to get back to me in mid-March, but it made me nervous when she didn't respond to the congratulations email I sent on 3/1. They have tons of family in the area, so I am thinking they might figure out daycare on their own? I know it's kind of soon to assume they aren't interested, maybe wishful thinking?!
I have seen many Moms who say they will go back to work after baby but then baby comes and their minds change ...
Either they become SAHMs or they have a family member watch the child. I think it is common enough that it isn't just wishful thinking on your part. I WOULD contact her being that it is mid-March.
Reply
Blackcat31 07:35 AM 03-13-2014
Originally Posted by mrsmichelle:
Yeah, the referral dcm is awesome, and I don't want to put her in an awkward spot. The PT dcm is supposed to get back to me in mid-March, but it made me nervous when she didn't respond to the congratulations email I sent on 3/1. They have tons of family in the area, so I am thinking they might figure out daycare on their own? I know it's kind of soon to assume they aren't interested, maybe wishful thinking?!
Either way, even if the PT mom had gotten back to you, you are now wanting (or needing) to enroll the FT family that just came along?

If that is the case, what I would do is either offer the PT mom the option of coming or paying a FT space OR I would let her know that you have unfortunately had something come up that does not allow you to offer her the space anymore. (If you need a hand in writing a letter letting her know, PM me and I'll gladly help you out.)

The fact that they want you to be open earlier than your normal time is enough for me to want to say "pass" and take the PT.

Infant space is HARD to come by here so I only charge one flat rate for anyone under age 15 months. Full or part time....same rate and I would never consider opening or closing outside my normal hours....too long of a day..
Reply
TaylorTots 08:58 AM 03-13-2014
You only have email... could you ask the referral parent for the other parent's phone number? Phone would be better on this one since she may not have access to her work email while on maternity.
Reply
Tags:ethics, filling enrollment, filling spots
Reply Up