Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is this Wrong?
Core12 04:44 AM 06-18-2019
I’m losing (3) 3 yr olds in Aug (they are going to preschool).
I have a current parent who is pregnant and agreed to pay for a spot beginning this Oct although she won’t need infant care until January 2020.
I was just contacted by another lady needing temp infant care from Oct-Jan for an infant.
I only have one infant spot available.
Could I do both?
Cat Herder 05:51 AM 06-18-2019
I'd only charge one.

I have open slots that are currently paid for by parents wanting to hold the slot for children yet born. I also have a full waitlist.

The rest of the group is enjoying a lower ratio. I am paid in full.
Cat Herder 06:00 AM 06-18-2019
I wanted to add that this is the flip side of "tuition is not based on attendance."

If you charge whether they attend or not, it is their slot whether or not a child attends.

If you choose to allow someone to pay for a drop-in in their slot, the client should approve and be compensated for it. It is their slot.
rosieteddy 06:43 AM 06-18-2019
I would just keep the original agreement.How in good conscience could you charge to hold a non existent spot.You would take on an infant through all the holidays when you could be paid for no infant.Why does the new client only want 4 months?Are they waiting for a spot from someone else?If you do offer to let the first parent off the hook ,I would require one month holding fee.It would be nonrefundable and not applied to any care.They would be paying to guarantee the spot for a date in January.
Unregistered 09:22 AM 06-18-2019
Last summer I offered a parent to take a spot that was reserved for an infant in the fall with the understanding that it was temporary. I, however, wasn't charging the parents who were reserving the spot, so the extra money was nice. I would allow it, but not accept payment from the first parent while the spot is being used by another.
MomBoss 09:24 AM 06-18-2019
I would maybe allow the temp spot and just charge the family that is pregnant a holding fee. Like 2 weeks tuition. Just to ensure they will enroll their infant.
mommyneedsadayoff 08:23 PM 06-18-2019
Originally Posted by Core12:
I’m losing (3) 3 yr olds in Aug (they are going to preschool).
I have a current parent who is pregnant and agreed to pay for a spot beginning this Oct although she won’t need infant care until January 2020.
I was just contacted by another lady needing temp infant care from Oct-Jan for an infant.
I only have one infant spot available.
Could I do both?
I would offer the position to the temporary family as a drop-in position. Your current Mom is paying for the position to be available in January. The temporary family is paying to use the open spot until the spot is no longer open. You could charge current mom half or something if you feel weird about it, but I would optimize the limited number of spots you have as much as possible. Come January, temp family is out and current mom takes precedence. You are running a business and it's a great way to increase your bottom line in a way that benefits two client families, as well as your own.
Tags:business ethics, ethics, professionalism, tuition not based on attendance
Reply Up