Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents Asking For Free Childcare..... Vent
Cat Herder 11:47 AM 02-07-2011
Yay.....

It seems local churches are now telling people to "call your local home childcare provider since they "CAN" keep extra kids as long as they receive no pay". This is intended for family members and friends. (which I no longer do for numerous reasons. )

I am REALLY tired of fielding these calls. Any one else???

I should not have to explain to a belligerent adult that I do not, in fact, owe them a chance to get on their feet. That I give back to my community EVERYDAY and I have paid my dues. I worked hard for what I have, nobody has ever given me anything....just to be cussed at and called out of my name during nap time.

This new tactic is burning me up today!!! Grrr... Luckily all my current parents think taking the home phone off the hook is a GREAT idea.

I swear I was in a good mood earlier today....
nannyde 11:52 AM 02-07-2011
Just tell them "oh darn it.. my free slots are already filled. I wish you would have called me two weeks ago. I would have been able to do it." Then thank them profusely for "thinking of you" to do this great community service and wish them luck. Then give them the number of your least favorite competitor and tell them that you "heard thru the grapevine" that they have a free slot open.

jen 11:56 AM 02-07-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Just tell them "oh darn it.. my free slots are already filled. I wish you would have called me two weeks ago. I would have been able to do it." Then thank them profusely for "thinking of you" to do this great community service and wish them luck. Then give them the number of your least favorite competitor and tell them that you "heard thru the grapevine" that they have a free slot open.

OMG! You crack me up!
misol 11:56 AM 02-07-2011
Wow, this is a new one to me. I haven't had a call of this nature yet.

Pay or no pay, providers still have to stay within their licensed capacity, right?

Curious... what do the callers say? My name is so and so and I was wondering if you were offering free daycare in these tough economic times?
Cat Herder 11:56 AM 02-07-2011

Too funny!!! May have to go that route!!! Grrr...this woman just started off all defensive and demanding and it only got worse from there....seems she called me before and got the same story..... Well, duh, I don't remember my last open slot.

Usually they keep it short and sweet after I tell them that I am full, but this one...wow, what a piece of work.
Cat Herder 12:03 PM 02-07-2011
Originally Posted by misol:
Wow, this is a new one to me. I haven't had a call of this nature yet.

Pay or no pay, providers still have to stay within their licensed capacity, right?

Curious... what do the callers say? My name is so and so and I was wondering if you were offering free daycare in these tough economic times?
No, our ratios are 6 for pay AND up to 12 onsite within age ratios (yes, I know STUPID!!!). My kids are teens and don't fit into my ratios, that is why I am targeted so often.

When I find out who this "Community Coordinator" is...........
nannyde 12:03 PM 02-07-2011
Originally Posted by misol:

Cracks me up.
nannyde 12:59 PM 02-07-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Too funny!!! May have to go that route!!! Grrr...this woman just started off all defensive and demanding and it only got worse from there....seems she called me before and got the same story..... Well, duh, I don't remember my last open slot.

Usually they keep it short and sweet after I tell them that I am full, but this one...wow, what a piece of work.
The fastest way to get them off the phone is to agree with them and thank them. YES you SHOULD give them free day care. YES you do owe them a free chance to get on their feet. Thank you SO much for thinking of me.

I've found that trying to convince them of anything business wise is just a waste of breath. I get this a lot over my rates. When I have people ask for rates and then give them a quote I get "that's rediculous... my mom did day care for YEARS and it doesn't cost that much" or "I can't afford that... nobody pays THAT much".

I always say "yes you are right. It IS rediculously expensive. I know you can get it WAY cheaper somewhere else. I wouldn't pay it either".
Cat Herder 01:09 PM 02-07-2011
The fastest way to get them off the phone is to agree with them and thank them. YES you SHOULD give them free day care. YES you do owe them a free chance to get on their feet. Thank you SO much for thinking of me.

I've found that trying to convince them of anything business wise is just a waste of breath. I get this a lot over my rates. When I have people ask for rates and then give them a quote I get "that's rediculous... my mom did day care for YEARS and it doesn't cost that much" or "I can't afford that... nobody pays THAT much".

I always say "yes you are right. It IS rediculously expensive. I know you can get it WAY cheaper somewhere else. I wouldn't pay it either".
Love it!

I just cannot imagine asking a complete stranger to keep my child for free....much less DEMAND it.

I barely let my Mom keep my kids....
Unregistered 10:29 AM 02-08-2011
I've been asked before to provide free daycare because of financial struggles of the family. I don't even give a discount, let alone give free daycare. I've had state paid moms try to stiff me for the co-pay because they "can't afford it". Really? You can't afford to pay the co-pay, but you can afford a mani/pedi and highlights for your hair? Really???

I'm not a bad person just because I'm not willing to give away free daycare. I work hard and I provide excellent care. I think that there are situations where people do have hard luck and I really do feel bad for them, but I'm not willing to compromise my own family's needs just to help out parents who are down on their luck. I don't owe anyone anything except the service that they PAY for.
Cat Herder 11:26 AM 02-08-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I've been asked before to provide free daycare because of financial struggles of the family. I don't even give a discount, let alone give free daycare. I've had state paid moms try to stiff me for the co-pay because they "can't afford it". Really? You can't afford to pay the co-pay, but you can afford a mani/pedi and highlights for your hair? Really???

I'm not a bad person just because I'm not willing to give away free daycare. I work hard and I provide excellent care. I think that there are situations where people do have hard luck and I really do feel bad for them, but I'm not willing to compromise my own family's needs just to help out parents who are down on their luck. I don't owe anyone anything except the service that they PAY for.
I fully agree with you. I have given free childcare, but I offered it. They DID NOT ask.

I offered it to a previously enrolled/paying family when DCD was in a freak accident and had a fractured spine/lost an eye; Ironically while doing volunteer work

If I see someone sincerely trying, I will do anything in my power...

But....things caused by their personal life choices??? Eh, not my responsibility....
Meeko 06:48 AM 03-03-2011
It's really amazing what people will try and get for free!

I too have had state pay moms tell me they can't afford the co-pay, while they never fail to get their nails done etc. I have one mom who has SIX children (all in my care) The state pays all her day care except for $146 per month. She whines and gripes about paying it every single month. In the meantime, they have season passes to the local ski resort here!!!!!!!! Maddening!
Cat Herder 06:55 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:

I too have had state pay moms tell me they can't afford the co-pay, while they never fail to get their nails done etc. I have one mom who has SIX children (all in my care) The state pays all her day care except for $146 per month. She whines and gripes about paying it every single month. In the meantime, they have season passes to the local ski resort here!!!!!!!! Maddening!
That would make my blood boil.....I can't afford season passes to the local bowling alley these days....
Blackcat31 07:21 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:

Oh, I have those situations as well......so I can't post on this because my words would be edited out so I will just leave it at
momatheart 07:57 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:

Did you say to her well gee given your pissy dispostion let me take you right away.
Meeko 08:51 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by momatheart:
Did you say to her well gee given your pissy dispostion let me take you right away.
LOL!!! Oh the things we'd all LIKE to say to prospective clients!!!!
Cat Herder 08:52 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by momatheart:
No... I went all "sales call" on her...

I grabbed a bag of "munchy math" skittles and held it up high so the entire room would start yelling and running towards me...

"Sorry, gotta run. Good luck with that."
Tags:free, free childcare
Reply Up