Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: How often do you raise your rates
I do every year 9 37.50%
every 5 years 0 0%
I never raise them 3 12.50%
Other (Please explain) 12 50.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Raising Rates?
WImom 04:51 AM 12-07-2011
Wondering how many of you are raising rates this year? I have new contracts to send out in Jan. and I'm debating. Most of my parents have been with me about a year or a little more now.
sahm1225 04:59 AM 12-07-2011
I've been open for a little bit over 2 years and I intend to raise rates every 2 years. That way, the new families get the higher rate as my kids age out and the parents dont stress of a new rate every year with me.

When I did my raise increase I also changed alot of policies (paid holidays, pay for the spot vs the days you use, etc.) and none of the parents complained. I also just raised about $2/day (then used that money to pay myself for my vacations!)

When I raise later on next year, I plan to start just with the new families since alot of my families will be aging out soon.
rbmom 05:09 AM 12-07-2011
Every year, usually in September.
lil angels 05:21 AM 12-07-2011
I will raise when I feel it is right I often will just change it in my contract for new family's that will start and leave current family's alone unless they are way under my rate. This year I am going to leave it I am average for my area so I want to stay competitive. Since that is the first question alot of parents ask when they call.
Cat Herder 05:40 AM 12-07-2011
As needed.
mismatchedsocks 05:45 AM 12-07-2011
I have not raised my rates in 11 years. I did change the age brackets for price. I think I will raise them in my contract for "new" families who start after 2012. But my old families will be in the old rate.
I dont know what to raise them too. Infant rates in a center here are $220 and up for fulltime, and in home daycares I have seen from $180-$220. I charge $150 for fulltime infants. Ideas? I want to stay full, and with having lower rates I find myself being full 10 out of the 11 years I have been in business.
small_steps 05:59 AM 12-07-2011
I also raise rates with new families and have so far left current families rates as is. But I've got a few infants and I can't see not raising my rates a little for the next 4-5 years so I will probably raise their rates next year by a little. I'm also pretty competitive with the daycare centers in town and will keep a similar rate structure that they do.
Sunchimes 07:42 AM 12-07-2011
I am only raising one family's rates. They were my first family, and it is a weird set up. She is a sub, so I don't know until 9 am whether she will be here. I've been doing a per day, because I was un-educated when I started. If she is here 5 days, she gets the weekly fee. I realized right after she did that she gets the 5th day for $5 that way. Doh. I'm keeping her at the same per day, but implementing a 3 day minimum and no weekly. It shouldn't be a problem because, according to my calendar, she has only been here 2 days a week a handful of times (including this week!). When the new baby starts in March, he will be a higher per day rate.

I'm also starting a 9 hour per day standard. It's a small town, she works 3 blocks away. She doesn't need a 10.5 hour day.

I said it shouldn't be a problem, but while I don't think she will complain, she will take full advantage of it-picking up at the last minute, even when she's been off since 2 pm. Many days, she is my only kid, so it's a bit irritating to be tied up until 5 when I know she's out running around or napping.

However, I try not to gripe, except here. I tell myself it's just part of the job.
Mrs. CC 08:41 AM 12-07-2011
I keep current families at their contracted rate when they started.

My contract changes every January and new families get the higher rates for that year.

It is in my contract that prices change each Jan for new families and that once you are in you lock in your price.

I like the incentive it gives for longevity!
MommieNana4 09:51 AM 12-07-2011
This is my first year doing daycare and I'm raising my rate for next year. And every year thereafter.
DaycareMama 10:42 AM 12-07-2011
I tend to follow the state pay rates. If they go up then I adjust my rates from there. I do charge more then state pay but I use that as my guidline
WImom 11:34 AM 12-07-2011
Thanks! I've decided to add a yearly activity fee of $25 per child instead of a rate increase. I really just need more money to do all these activities that we do every day.

I think I will raise rates next year though since I am on the low end, not super low but the lowest in my daycare association. (BUT I also work the least amount of hours and only ages 2-5y which is why I keep my rates low)
bice99 11:36 AM 12-07-2011
Originally Posted by WImom:
Thanks! I've decided to add a yearly activity fee of $25 per child instead of a rate increase. I really just need more money to do all these activities that we do every day.

I think I will raise rates next year though since I am on the low end, not super low but the lowest in my daycare association. (BUT I also work the least amount of hours and only ages 2-5y which is why I keep my rates low)
I have a $100 activity/supply fee, due every July 1st. I tell parents it helps pay for our OMSI and zoo memberships, art/craft supplies, plus buy new items for the DC. They all pay. It used to be $50. I raised it this summer and no one batted an eye.
caring4kidsinSD 11:56 AM 12-07-2011
I started in April 2005 - Then only time I raised my rates since then was in June of 2005. SO all the families in my care never had a rate increase but I just can't do it without raising them this year. Everything is on the rise - Food, utilities, gas, supplies, etc LIttle raise for current families and any new enrollees will have a higher fee. When I started I was at the TOP of the average - now I am way below the bottom of the average for my area - Who knew? Since providers are supposed to discuss rates, It never dawned on me that they are raising them.
Sugar Magnolia 11:59 AM 12-07-2011
I have been open almost 6 years, I have raised rates twice. I DID lower rates about 3 months after I opened because I decided to not provide meals. The times I raised them were on a "as needed" basis. The first time was due to rising costs. The second time was because I hired a staffer. I am referring to raising rates on EXISTING clients. I have raised my rates for new clients once also, meaning the existing families saw no increase after I changed my public rate sheet.
DCMom 12:35 PM 12-07-2011
I hate raising rates. I hate that confrontation with parents. I hate the stress of it.

My enrollment is pretty stable; most kids start with me as infants and end with me as first graders. I charge the same rate for all ages. I raise my rates $5/week for full time and $1/day for part time every year, but only for the new families. Everyone else stays at the same rate until they leave.

Example ~ I have two that start kindergarten in September 2012, they will be leaving completely because they live in a different school district. The two kids that I have filled their spots with are going to be $30/wk higher. It has worked well for me; my raise comes in August/September when the school turnover comes and is on average about $60/wk.
Tags:poll, raising rates, rate increase
Reply Up