Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dealing With A Teacher's Schedule
JaydensMommy 07:42 AM 08-02-2011
I met with a lady yesterday, she has a 3 yr old and she is a teacher. She is the same one that asked about a monthly rate. Well she also asked if she would have to pay for spring break, summer, christmas vacation since she is off and her son would be home with her. At the moment I didn't know what to tell her since I have never dealt with that kind of schedule before. I told her I would think about it and let her know. So, I was thinking that I should since I charge the rest of the parents if they are not here. But at the same time I don't want to feel like I'm being unfair.. What do you guys do when you get a teacher's child??
mac60 07:55 AM 08-02-2011
Some options......
1. 1/2 rate when not there to hold the spot.
2. Minimum rate when not there to hold the spot.
4. Higher weekly rate thru the school year, then don't charge for the summers off.
5. I would def make them pay for the breaks throughout the school year though, they get paid for them, you should too.
Blackcat31 08:08 AM 08-02-2011
I don't really care what parents do for a job/career.

Mine is child care and every space that is reserved for a child is paid for. So if a teacher wants to keep their child's space, they pay the same as everyone else.

I understand that they have different schedules but I think if I made exceptions for one career then I would hear all sorts of creative ways other families should have discounts as well.
morgan24 08:10 AM 08-02-2011
I don't charge for anytime that teachers have off, but I charge them higher weekly rate to make up for the holidays and spring break. I still lose out over the summer but I like a lighter load for the summer anyway.
AnneCordelia 08:13 AM 08-02-2011
For me, I like my summers to have a lighter load (because my own school agers are home and it's easier to get around to do fun stuff with fewer littles).

So my 2 teacher families get this deal:
They pay a weekly rate. They pay for stat holidays. They pay for Christmas vacation and for March break. They pay for any vacation they take during the school year. They do not pay for summer vacation though. However, even though they pay for Christmas and March vacations their children are not to attend the daycare, and I offer no days that they can attend during summer break. Payment for those breaks is what will reserve their spot for after the summer break.

Providers here do it a number of ways. Some have a higher daily rate...an extra $5/day or so. Some charge half rates for summer holidays. Some charge the same no matter what. I have a friend who charges half rates in the summer and the child is permitted to attend for 4 days a month in the summer.
Meyou 08:15 AM 08-02-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Mine is child care and every space that is reserved for a child is paid for. So if a teacher wants to keep their child's space, they pay the same as everyone else.

I understand that they have different schedules but I think if Imade exceptions for one career then I would hear all sorts of creative ways other families should have discounts as well.
This exactly.
Crazy8 08:17 AM 08-02-2011
every time I have an interview DH says "its not a teacher, is it?" because he hates my summer time income.

I always get a lot of them. I don't charge over the summer. No daycare center around here is that full that they can't pull their kid for 2 months and then go back in September. Could I fill the spot? probably, but I also like the lighter load in the summer and I don't want them to find another daycare because of that.
Any other time of year is just like all my other clients - they get 1 week vacation and have to pay for any other days. So for Spring Break they can use their vacation week or in many cases they pay for it and still bring the child on a reduced schedule so they can do other things.
Crazy8 08:21 AM 08-02-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
This exactly.
But are you filled to capacity? have a wait list? Because for me, if a parent said, ok, I'll just give notice and see if you have a spot avail in September I would probably still have that spot available. Now I wouldn't want them to do it that way (and I probably wouldn't take back on principle) so I rather just give them the summer off and have their wonderful, well behaved child back in September (now the not so wonderful I will think twice about, LOL).
Country Kids 08:29 AM 08-02-2011
I also charge them throughout the year for breaks and such unless I take the time off also. I don't charge through the summer either and we are prepared for that by saving up through the year. I like having the break and am usually more than ready for preschool to start in the fall!
SandeeAR 08:29 AM 08-02-2011

I understand that they have different schedules but I think if I made exceptions for one career then I would hear all sorts of creative ways other families should have discounts as well.
Totally agree!
JaydensMommy 08:36 AM 08-02-2011
Originally Posted by LittleDiamonds:
But are you filled to capacity? have a wait list? Because for me, if a parent said, ok, I'll just give notice and see if you have a spot avail in September I would probably still have that spot available. Now I wouldn't want them to do it that way (and I probably wouldn't take back on principle) so I rather just give them the summer off and have their wonderful, well behaved child back in September (now the not so wonderful I will think twice about, LOL).
I am full, If she enrolled than that would be filling my last spot. So if she was to pull her child out for summer, I probably wouldn't have another spot open after summer break.
DaycareLady19 08:48 AM 08-02-2011
Do they get paid when they are off!?!?! Yes they do, and so should you. Same thing
Live and Learn 09:14 AM 08-02-2011
Originally Posted by mac60:
Some options......
4. Higher weekly rate thru the school year, then don't charge for the summers off.
5. I would def make them pay for the breaks throughout the school year though, they get paid for them, you should too.
I like my summers/holidays off so I go with #4.
Country Kids 09:20 AM 08-02-2011
I love having teachers children. When I strictly had teachers children I ran on the school schedule and LOVED every minute of it. I was actually off every time my kids where and had summers off etc. My kids were so happy because I was able to focus my attention on them and not have other children needing my time.

That was then though and this is now and I'm back to work full-time. Yes there is more money but less time to do any thing with it!
Meyou 09:32 AM 08-02-2011
Yes, I'm full but I don't maintain a wait list. I fill my spots in advance when I have them. My next two openings are September 2012 right now and those are filled already. I could never take a family back that I told a parent they had to pay for the summer to hold their spot and they told me that they would give notice and see if I had a spot in Sept. So disrespectful!!

I feel that I provide a superior service and that they should be grateful to have their kids with me. My current clients pay me well and don't complain about the cost. My clients don't leave me, they age out or move and I constantly turn away word of mouth business so I'm doing something right. The kids are healthy, busy and happy so I don't see any reason to deprive myself of two months income because that family chose to not work in the summer. There are plenty of families that do work and will take the spot.

I have several families with 6+ weeks of vacation and I only offer 2 weeks free per year. They all pay for the remaining weeks to hold their spots so I couldn't treat a teacher any differently even if I wanted to.
Blackcat31 09:37 AM 08-02-2011
Yes, I'm full but I don't maintain a wait list. I fill my spots in advance when I have them. My next two openings are September 2012 right now and those are filled already. I could never take a family back that I told a parent they had to pay for the summer to hold their spot and they told me that they would give notice and see if I had a spot in Sept. So disrespectful!!

I feel that I provide a superior service and that they should be grateful to have their kids with me. My current clients pay me well and don't complain about the cost. My clients don't leave me, they age out or move and I constantly turn away word of mouth business so I'm doing something right. The kids are healthy, busy and happy so I don't see any reason to deprive myself of two months income because that family chose to not work in the summer. There are plenty of families that do work and will take the spot.

I have several families with 6+ weeks of vacation and I only offer 2 weeks free per year. They all pay for the remaining weeks to hold their spots so I couldn't treat a teacher any differently even if I wanted to.
This exactly.
Live and Learn 09:42 AM 08-02-2011
Some options......
The key with using #4 is to CHARGE ENOUGH EXTRA so that it works out the same money wise as if you worked all summer, spring break, winter break, and inservice days.
daycare 09:51 AM 08-02-2011
I do option 4 with the teachers that I have worked with.

Should they need to have thier child attend at any time while on their breaks, I charge a drop in fee. They can pay by the hour of $12.50 per hour or $50.00 per day. It's up to them.

I also can not guarantee that the spot will be open for them to drop in.
Crazy8 09:56 AM 08-02-2011

I didn't mean to offend you, sorry if it came across that way. I think daycare is just VERY different in different areas and what works for some wouldn't work for others. I have a pretty successful business as well and turn clients away when I'm full but I'm also in an area where a good percentage of families have a SAH parent and don't use child care so with the large number of daycare options out there working parents really have their choice. Being the one who requires payment over the summer just wouldn't work for me. But I know this when I sign them, and I have a nice mix of teachers and full year workers so I can plan for the lighter income and take the lighter load for the summer with pleasure! Ironically one of my teachers is my latest pick up at 5pm, so in the summer I am done a half hour earlier and get 1-2 days off during the week. Its worth it for me!
MG&Lsmom 10:11 AM 08-02-2011
In my state, my own kids count in my capacity during the summer. I need 2 spots this coming summer, so I'm offering teachers summers off with no pay. If I didn't need them I would probably charge a small weekly fee to hold the spot for the Fall, or encourage them to send the child part time, 2 day a week maybe. When my kids were in daycare this is how I did it. They were toddlers and having that consistency of still going to dc made the full time transition easier. And it gave me 2 days a week to prep for the coming year.

This is my current offering: week long breaks and summer off free of charge and will hold the spot for the Fall with a 2 week deposit. They get their deposit back if they cancel their spot by Aug 1 or it goes towards the first 2 weeks of care in the Fall if they keep it. In this area, most teachers get a lump sum payment on the last day of school for the 2 months of summer vacation. So most can pay the 2 week deposit and it prepays some of their bill for the Fall when the money has run out. I only had 1 person do this last year and I no longer have the baby since I termed them in Oct. I would love to fill these two spots already and just be FULL!
mac60 10:15 AM 08-02-2011
So you get a deposit, hold the spot for weeks, and if they then decide by Aug 1 to dump you, you then return their money? So in reality, you are holding their spots for free, as you use the $$ for the first weeks back into care. I would say you are losing out here.
melskids 10:17 AM 08-02-2011
Some options......
i do #4 and fill the spot with a school ager
MG&Lsmom 10:28 AM 08-02-2011
So you get a deposit, hold the spot for weeks, and if they then decide by Aug 1 to dump you, you then return their money? So in reality, you are holding their spots for free, as you use the $$ for the first weeks back into care. I would say you are losing out here.
Right, I hold the spot for 5 weeks. With snow days we typically go until the 3rd week of June. There are massive teacher layoffs going on. Some aren't notified until the end of August they have no job to go back to. Yes, I loose out for those 5 weeks of potentially filling a spot. I've had a least one spot open this entire year. Too may daycares, not enough kids. I'm losing out all around.
AnythingsPossible 10:29 AM 08-02-2011
All but one of my families are teachers and I wish I would of done things a little differently then I have. They do not pay for any school year breaks or for summer break.

What I wish I would have done is give them a flat monthly rate for the school year, and still not charge for summer. Even if they do pay for some time that they aren't using during the year, not having to pay for the summer would make up for that.
bice99 10:44 AM 08-02-2011
I taught for 11 years and paid my provider for every day, whether our girls were there or not. That was what she asked and I don't argue with people whose contract I have signed. Now that I own my own daycare, I still like my family time, so, I am closed all stat holidays, our school district's Christmas and spring breaks. I get paid for one week of Christmas, but not the other 2 weeks. So families pay me monthly (50wks x weekly rate / 12 months). My teachers pay half rate in the summer and as a courtesy can come 1/5 of their normal hours, day and hours to be decided by me. They are paying 1/2 rate to hold their spot for the fall, not to be able to come in the summer. So if I'm busy or out of town, they don't get to come and they still pay me. Whole summer hold fee (based on 10 weeks of teacher summer) is due on June 15th. Non-refundable. Separate contract signed. That way if their work schedule changes before school starts up (I have a part time teacher) and no longer fits my needs, they have to find someone else and I still get to keep my money. They all pay and some ask if they can pay for extra hours/days in the summer. I get to decide if I want them.
JaydensMommy 10:48 AM 08-02-2011
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
I like my summers/holidays off so I go with #4.
If all of my kids were out during summer than maybe I would consider a discount or even not paying for summer, but her child would be the only one that is not here during summer, christmas and all the other breaks.
Blackcat31 10:52 AM 08-02-2011
Originally Posted by JaydensMommy:
If all of my kids were out during summer than maybe I would consider a discount or even not paying for summer, but her child would be the only one that is not here during summer, christmas and all the other breaks.
I agree. If most of your families were teachers then it would be a completely different game all together.

If that were the case, I would love to take my summers off or atleast only have a couple kids but where I am the teacher's kids are sprinkled pretty evenly throughout all the area daycares and I think all the providers here charge the same rate every day/week no matter what.
e.j. 11:19 AM 08-02-2011

Ditto.

I give my teachers the choice to pay for the spot for the summer or take the chance their spot may or may not be available to them in September. Almost every teacher has made the choice to pay for the spot.

This past year was the first year in 15 years that I did have a mom who decided to take a chance. I'm not offended by her choice, even though I would have liked her to stay/pay. In the current economy, I understand she was trying to save money for her family. If I had been able to fill her spot, I would have. Instead, I ended up using her hours for drop-ins and for parents looking for extra hours of care for their children. It looks as though there will be a spot available for her in the fall. I will take her kids back without hesitation. It'll be more money for me in the fall and to me, it would be like "cutting my nose off to spite my face" to not take her back.
Unregistered (logged out) 11:39 AM 08-02-2011
I only keep children of teachers. It is how I run my business because it works for me. This is what I do- I charge them so much per week and they pay regardless if they are here or not, but I do give them weeks off from paying. The weeks parents do not pay are Thanksgiving break, Christmas break, Spring break and Summer break. This works for me because get these times off as well. I just plan ahead and have money set aside. I personally do not think it is fair to charge them for more than a week of not being here. If you cannot afford it, I would look for a different family that fits your needs better.
Sunshine44 11:46 AM 08-02-2011
No, teachers do NOT get paid when they are off. They get a salary, like a lot of other careers, and it divided by 12 months and they are paid so much accordingly. It isn't getting paid for not working, it is their normal pay 'held back' so they DO get a paycheck during the summer months.
mac60 11:52 AM 08-02-2011
It is like every other salaried position...they get ***x salary per year divided into 12 months/52 weeks, however you want to say it. I would love to make $40,000 plus and only work 9 months out of the year, minus all the breaks, holidays, and other days they get off throughout the school year. And 40 grand is low ball here.
Former Teacher 11:58 AM 08-02-2011
Originally Posted by JaydensMommy:
I met with a lady yesterday, she has a 3 yr old and she is a teacher. She is the same one that asked about a monthly rate. Well she also asked if she would have to pay for spring break, summer, christmas vacation since she is off and her son would be home with her. At the moment I didn't know what to tell her since I have never dealt with that kind of schedule before. I told her I would think about it and let her know. So, I was thinking that I should since I charge the rest of the parents if they are not here. But at the same time I don't want to feel like I'm being unfair.. What do you guys do when you get a teacher's child??
The only problem I would have is whether or not to believe this mother. She says she will keep her child home. But can you believe her? She will want HER time alone, HER time to do whatever.

I always say...number one rule of daycare....never trust a parent
momma2girls 12:00 PM 08-02-2011
This is how I do with my teachers-
I charge 1/2 the normal weekly rate, for Spring/Winter breaks.
The summer, I require a 2 week deposit to hold it til Fall
I love my summers off, you can't beat it.
The only drawback, you do not get paid, other than the 2 weeks from each family!!
Sunshine44 12:08 PM 08-02-2011
I am not going to argue with you, but 40 grand is high. I know in my state, you start NOWHERE near that and they haven't given any form of raise in years, so yea. You can choose the clients you want, yes, but they can hopefully find someone who will work around their schedule.
Sunshine44 12:10 PM 08-02-2011
And you could actually have the same schedule as a teacher if you planned it just right. You pick your hours. Find parents who want that schedule, and charge more to cover those summer months. Do like the school boards do and 'hold back' a certain amount. Easy peasy.
kidkair 12:20 PM 08-02-2011
I have made a deal with a teacher that she pays 1/2 the normal amount for school breaks and 1/4 the normal amount to hold over the summer. I chose to do this because I fill those days with school agers and really think it'll be great to not have the baby at the same time. For me it was a win win situation. (and yes I plan on keep the deal the same as the child grows older)
JaydensMommy 12:45 PM 08-08-2011
Just wanted to thank you guys for all of the advice. I went with what most of you said and told her I would have to charge her the same rate whether her child is here or not because this is my policy for EVERYONE. I didn't think it would be fair to allow her two months of discounted rate or free time and not the other parents. So.. good news, she finally called today after two interviews because her husband couldn't make it to the first one and her son is starting on wednesday.
JenNJ 03:06 PM 08-08-2011
I'm glad it worked out!

I do it a bit differently. I do not charge for summer break for teachers. I take the total amount they *would* pay over the summer and add it to their regular rate throughout the year. That way, I can happily say they have the summer off with no penalty, I am not losing any money, and I get an easier summer.
Tags:schedule, schedule - teacher, teacher - schedule
Reply Up