Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When A Baby Won't Sleep On Their Back..
littlemommy 07:51 AM 03-01-2012
what do you do? I have a 2 month old DCB who won't sleep unless he's in a swing. Or he'll fall asleep as soon as I put him on his belly for tummy time. I asked mom yesterday if he does a lot of tummy time at home and she said no, so I'm sure he's not a tummy sleeper. She has made comments before that he "loves his swing," but I don't feel comfortable letting him sleep in there.

What would you do? Right now he's in a pack n play, on his back, in a dark room with soft music and I sprayed lavender spray to help relax him. He's fussing and is tired. I don't want to make him cry it out every time!
Cat Herder 08:49 AM 03-01-2012
Originally Posted by littlemommy:
I don't want to make him cry it out every time!
Then you may have to let him go or lower your ratio so you can hold him whenever he wants.

There is no easy button to this.

Infant sleep requirements are legislated and clear for childcare.
Blackcat31 09:08 AM 03-01-2012
What Cat Herder said!! ^^^^

I also think it may not be a case of he WON'T sleep on his back but more of he doesn't know HOW.

If he is given the choice of sleeping in a swing or being held, he was never taught how to sleep properly.

He is very young so he doesn't know. He is only doing what he was taught so far...sleeping in a swing. Mom needs to teach him to sleep on his back.
nannyde 09:15 AM 03-01-2012
What cat said ... both cats

A crying baby is an alive baby.

Quit using the swing completely at your house and school the Mom on the dangers of swing and car seat sleeping.

Use a mini baby boppy for his belly time. Put the ends of it at his armpits so he has some lift to his head on belly time and pester him the entire time so he stays awake.

Do not let him fall asleep during feeding and put him to bed WIDE awake.
littlemommy 09:38 AM 03-01-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
What Cat Herder said!! ^^^^

I also think it may not be a case of he WON'T sleep on his back but more of he doesn't know HOW.

If he is given the choice of sleeping in a swing or being held, he was never taught how to sleep properly.

He is very young so he doesn't know. He is only doing what he was taught so far...sleeping in a swing. Mom needs to teach him to sleep on his back.
He sleeps in a crib at home, and she said he's been sleeping good at night. Here if he falls asleep in my arms after a bottle and i lay him down on his back, he wakes up. When they bring him in the morning and he's sleeping they leave him in the carseat and say "I'll let him sleep for ya"...so i wonder how much he sleeps in his car seat at home. i always take him out right away and put him in the pack n play, but he wakes up.

ill keep working on it. like you said, he's young, so he can learn!
SilverSabre25 10:03 AM 03-01-2012
Remember that there is a big difference between fussing and crying...in this case, fussing is okay; he's learning to put himself to sleep! He's learning to self-soothe!

If it escalates in to crying, then go get him, cuddle him, calm him, then try again. Eventually, he will fall asleep. Every day he is at your house it will get easier. 2 mos is still barely hatched! He's so itty bitty, he hasn't had any TIME to learn to put himself to sleep!

let him fuss. PIck him up when it becomes screaming/crying.
littlemommy 10:06 AM 03-01-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Remember that there is a big difference between fussing and crying...in this case, fussing is okay; he's learning to put himself to sleep! He's learning to self-soothe!

If it escalates in to crying, then go get him, cuddle him, calm him, then try again. Eventually, he will fall asleep. Every day he is at your house it will get easier. 2 mos is still barely hatched! He's so itty bitty, he hasn't had any TIME to learn to put himself to sleep!

let him fuss. PIck him up when it becomes screaming/crying.
It only took him a couple days to learn to like tummy time, so this should get better too. His mom told me yesterday she hasn't done tummy time with him since maternity leave..so it was hard for him to tolerate it here. It's much better now. He did just fall asleep in the pack n play after fussing for a bit.
Tags:death - explaining, infant - safety, infant - sleeping issues, positional asphyxia, sids
Reply Up