Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>All Day Crying :(
rhymia1 06:16 AM 09-17-2012
I have 2 yo twins who started with me three weeks ago. They have no prior dc experience, so I knew there would be an adjustment. However the one cries all.day.long. unless he is being held (no sooner do I get he calm, then I have to put him down to change a diaper, get snack ready, and he's back to crying and gagging) The other cries on and off all day and always for the one hour quiet time None of my longterm kids have been napping well and are now starting to cry for mom...In the past by week 3 we were usually turning a corner. I don't see that happening here. If anything, toward the end of last week it was even worse, and this morning was once again the same

I think this will be the first family I've ever let go during the trial period, but even with making some major changes to my program, they still are so unhappy
Blackcat31 07:10 AM 09-17-2012
Ugh, that is soooo hard to deal with.

For me, I will keep trying UNTIL the new child's behavior starts effecting the other kids. That, to me, is a sign that it is not a good fit and I need to do what is best for the group as a whole.

If you really see no forward movement towards adjustment, I would just be honest with the parents and tell them the kids don't seem to adjusting well and it is now effecting the others to the point that no one is napping well any more so you will need to let them go.
cheerfuldom 07:53 AM 09-17-2012
eeekkkk, cry baby twins.....sounds exhausting. i would create a spot for them to cry in and direct them there so at least they are not right next to and upsetting the other kids. I think at this point I would be honest with mom, see if the "cry corner" helps at all and then go from there. I personally dont pickup 2 year olds. I would try and comfort if possible but at this point, redirecting and going about your day might work better than stopping for them every time they are crying.
rhymia1 09:15 AM 09-17-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
eeekkkk, cry baby twins.....sounds exhausting. i would create a spot for them to cry in and direct them there so at least they are not right next to and upsetting the other kids. I think at this point I would be honest with mom, see if the "cry corner" helps at all and then go from there. I personally dont pickup 2 year olds. I would try and comfort if possible but at this point, redirecting and going about your day might work better than stopping for them every time they are crying.
I'm with you, normally I don't either. I've always had a cry spot (cozy chair with some soft toys) But they can not settle themselves down, and will cry and gag forever otherwise. The other kids in my care are starting to show signs of stress from it I also have their almost 4 yo sibling and he behaves just like they do...
cheerfuldom 09:24 AM 09-17-2012
Originally Posted by rhymia1:
I'm with you, normally I don't either. I've always had a cry spot (cozy chair with some soft toys) But they can not settle themselves down, and will cry and gag forever otherwise. The other kids in my care are starting to show signs of stress from it I also have their almost 4 yo sibling and he behaves just like they do...
oh well with the 4 yo doing this too and you have 3 criers from one family....i would let them go if you can afford it. the parents might be better off paying for a nanny anyway with 3 kids in care. thats just way too much crying. i have one 3 yo crier right now and am about to pull my hair out with just one. babies I can understand but when they are older and still carrying on and on and on.....so exhausting!
rhymia1 10:29 AM 09-17-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
oh well with the 4 yo doing this too and you have 3 criers from one family....i would let them go if you can afford it. the parents might be better off paying for a nanny anyway with 3 kids in care. thats just way too much crying. i have one 3 yo crier right now and am about to pull my hair out with just one. babies I can understand but when they are older and still carrying on and on and on.....so exhausting!
I think I am going to. My plan today is to talk to Dad at pick up and just say that we should have turned a corner by now, and if they still seem so unhappy on Friday then we will need to discuss other options (other options being me giving them two weeks and suggesting a nanny) This way they are not shocked on Friday.
Today the only reason I got them to stay quietly on their mat during rest time is to put in a video. As soon as the video ended they all started crying - even the almost 4 yo! What I realized is that they were not sad, they were mad the video ended
lovemykidstoo 10:35 AM 09-17-2012
Sounds like you have your hands full. With 3 of them from the same family crying, I would most likely let them go. Who watched them before? Do the parents have any idea that's how they're acting?
cheerfuldom 10:44 AM 09-17-2012
Originally Posted by rhymia1:
I think I am going to. My plan today is to talk to Dad at pick up and just say that we should have turned a corner by now, and if they still seem so unhappy on Friday then we will need to discuss other options (other options being me giving them two weeks and suggesting a nanny) This way they are not shocked on Friday.
Today the only reason I got them to stay quietly on their mat during rest time is to put in a video. As soon as the video ended they all started crying - even the almost 4 yo! What I realized is that they were not sad, they were mad the video ended
maybe they are just crying for TV? maybe they really dont know how to play or anything
rhymia1 10:54 AM 09-17-2012
They have been home with mom who has been on leave for the last two years. Before that they had a nanny for the older boy, but he was too young to remember. I gather that at home they all have tv's in their rooms and that's how they go to sleep each night - what they didn't tell me is that is the only way they will sleep. I've always said that kids don't need to nap (if they outgrow it) but they do need to be quiet and considerate of others. The oldest child (almost 4) cries and gags through QT so no one can nap...They only eat pastas, crackers, etc. And throw fits at the table if I put so much as one green bean on their plates. Maybe I've been lucky, but I've always had kids integrate well by week 3. Or maybe I just don't "do" spolied
lovemykidstoo 12:13 PM 09-17-2012
I would put the 4 year old in a separate room if possible and let him talk to himself during quiet time. As far as him crying and throwing a fit during lunchtime, guess he's not hungry huh? I don't make separate lunches for the kids. There is enough on the plate covering all of the food groups. If they can't find something they like on the plate, sooner or later they'll figure it out that you're not a restaurant or cafeteria. Wow these are beyond spoiled. What do the parents say about their behavior?
rhymia1 01:13 PM 09-17-2012
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I would put the 4 year old in a separate room if possible and let him talk to himself during quiet time. As far as him crying and throwing a fit during lunchtime, guess he's not hungry huh? I don't make separate lunches for the kids. There is enough on the plate covering all of the food groups. If they can't find something they like on the plate, sooner or later they'll figure it out that you're not a restaurant or cafeteria. Wow these are beyond spoiled. What do the parents say about their behavior?
Tried, and he screamed, cried and gagged the entire time I'm the same way on the food. I hear "I don't like thaaaaat!" "But I don't like thaaaaat!" about 300 times through out the meal. Even though I gently remind him that we don't tell someone we don't like what they are serving.
daycare 02:07 PM 09-17-2012
sorry if I missed it, but are they full time or part time???
Tags:crying - all day
Reply Up