Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Doing Work During Work Hours
Lil'DinoEggs 09:34 PM 10-07-2013
I have tried a variety of plans and they didn't work or I wasn't organized to execute them.

Is it possible to do all my work stuff during work hours? if you are successful at this will you let me know.

I am getting better with meal preparation, but I am stuck on

*Cleaning
*paperwork
*planning
*extras: abc folders for new students, new posters, printing pictures, etc.
Play Care 05:37 AM 10-08-2013
Originally Posted by Lil'DinoEggs:
I have tried a variety of plans and they didn't work or I wasn't organized to execute them.

Is it possible to do all my work stuff during work hours? if you are successful at this will you let me know.

*Cleaning
*paperwork
*planning
Admittedly the only reason I get as much done during work hours is because I have a helper Worth her weight in gold to not have to work on my off hours.
MCC 06:35 AM 10-08-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Admittedly the only reason I get as much done during work hours is because I have a helper Worth her weight in gold to not have to work on my off hours.
This for me too. I just hired an assistant 3 weeks ago. It's amazing, and so worth every little penny I pay here. I am so much more productive when she is here. She typically deals with the kids, and I deal with the rest. She is only here MWF in the pm, but I am seriously considering having her here FT.
Leanna 06:44 AM 10-08-2013

*Cleaning
*paperwork
*planning
I don't have any advice for you because I struggle with this too! I spend HOURS outside the 50 hours/week I am open doing day care work: cleaning, paperwork, planning, setting up activities, etc. I don't know how to get it done during the day. When the kids are up I am interacting with and supervising them and when they are napping I am able to get just enough done for that afternooon (wash the breakfast and lunch dishes, clean tables off, etc.)

I've never understand how some get everything done while the kids are there. I mean, its not like you can be like, "Well, kids I am going to go scrub the bathroom now. Be good!" lol. I think those who get a lot done are those who have help :\
crazydaycarelady 07:01 AM 10-08-2013
I have had a helper the last 3 years and it does help but prior to that I got most things done within the work day, except for the shopping of course.

After 18 years of doing this I just developed a good routine. I also fix pretty simple easy meals (since those are the ones they eat best anyway.)

For example near the end of the day I have the kids pick up all the toys. They do an activity at the table (puzzles, coloring, or their favorite is a huge tub of McDonalds toys that I only get out at this time, they have to keep them on the table.) I vacuum while they play and get the room ready for the next morning.

During nap I do the dishes and sometimes dinner prep.

My laundry room is next to the dc room so when I have a minute (like when they eat snack) I'll sort or transfer a load or fold.

It's really about routine and also sneaking little minutes throughout the day.
butterfly 10:40 AM 10-08-2013
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
For example near the end of the day I have the kids pick up all the toys. They do an activity at the table (puzzles, coloring, or their favorite is a huge tub of McDonalds toys that I only get out at this time, they have to keep them on the table.) I vacuum while they play and get the room ready for the next morning.

My laundry room is next to the dc room so when I have a minute (like when they eat snack) I'll sort or transfer a load or fold.

I do as much as possible while the kids are here. I may not completely finish one task at one time, but by the end of the day I have things pretty well wrapped up.

The only thing I really struggle with is the paperwork. I usually end up doing this after hours. However, I really dislike the paperwork so I tend to put this off as much as possible then I rush at the end of the month to get it all done.
WImom 10:46 AM 10-08-2013
for paperwork I try to do it every Monday at nap - I enter in payments from Friday, attendance sheet from week before and any receipts that I have from the week before.

I close at 4:30 but at 4:00 is final clean up and while they are doing that I wipe down the bathroom, counters, load the dishwasher. (my space is separate so it's right in the room). Then we play board games or do floor puzzles all together during pick up.

I also try to start a load of laundry each morning, change it over during the morning and then fold at nap or I give that chore to one of my own kids when they get home from school.

I can plan my curriculum somewhat during nap but really getting it ready for the week I have to do after hours so I usually take 1-2 hours on the weekend to get it ready.
Maria2013 10:55 AM 10-08-2013

*Cleaning
*paperwork
*planning
now that I do most planning and cleaning after hours or on the weekend, my days are so much easier
butterfly 11:00 AM 10-08-2013
another thing I've done in the past is pick one day a week that is a free play day. I use this day to get caught up on things. It's harder for me to do this now that I have a couple infants. It's actually easier for me to fit it in everyday during the day rather than trying to get a free play day with infants. But just a thought.
MarinaVanessa 02:21 PM 10-08-2013
Originally Posted by butterfly:

I do as much as possible while the kids are here. I may not completely finish one task at one time, but by the end of the day I have things pretty well wrapped up.

The only thing I really struggle with is the paperwork. I usually end up doing this after hours. However, I really dislike the paperwork so I tend to put this off as much as possible then I rush at the end of the month to get it all done.
This is me. For me, the key is to clean up after ourselves right after we do one thing. For example after meals I have the children help me clean up and wipe the table then they line up to wash their hands in the kitchen while I rinse the dishes in the 2nd sink. Once they lay down for nap I load the dishwasher and disinfect the table etc.

If we paint we clean up together after we're done, if we play with the toys we clean up before we take out a new toy etc.

Paperwork involves more concentration so this always gets done after hours.
Sunshine75 06:00 PM 10-08-2013
I think it just depends on your state too and their policies. For instance, in MN, you have to monitor and be in the room with them during nap/down time. That makes it hard to get to anything during your day. I actually purchased some toy vacuums though and now when I vacuum the kids pretend they are vacuuming as well!
Play Care 03:16 AM 10-09-2013
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
I have had a helper the last 3 years and it does help but prior to that I got most things done within the work day, except for the shopping of course.

After 18 years of doing this I just developed a good routine. I also fix pretty simple easy meals (since those are the ones they eat best anyway.)

This is how I manage on days I don't have my helper. And honestly? Sometimes I feel like we get a lot more accomplished on the days it's just me and the kids
MissAnn 04:16 AM 10-09-2013
I don't do very much extra work during the day. I save it for after work so I can up my time/space %. I do allow myself lazy time when kids nap.
daycarediva 04:36 AM 10-09-2013
Originally Posted by Leanna:
I don't have any advice for you because I struggle with this too! I spend HOURS outside the 50 hours/week I am open doing day care work: cleaning, paperwork, planning, setting up activities, etc. I don't know how to get it done during the day. When the kids are up I am interacting with and supervising them and when they are napping I am able to get just enough done for that afternooon (wash the breakfast and lunch dishes, clean tables off, etc.)

I've never understand how some get everything done while the kids are there. I mean, its not like you can be like, "Well, kids I am going to go scrub the bathroom now. Be good!" lol. I think those who get a lot done are those who have help :\
I can ONLY get extra done when I have help. Either dh (my legal sub) my assistant (who I only try to have here 1-2x a month) and my 14yo dd helps supervise so I can do paperwork at the end of the day.

I still spend HOURS outside of daycare doing work, although the majority of my cleaning is done during dc hours, that deep clean/sanitize weekly thing, lesson prep, paperwork catch up is all Sunday morning.
Play Care 04:47 AM 10-09-2013
Originally Posted by Leanna:

For the most part I can only deep clean when my assistant is here. But there are times where I *must* clean while I'm here alone with the kids - say a child has an accident and decides to come and tell me rather then call me into the bathroom leaving a nice puddle trail through the house (happened this week actually ) obviously I could just wipe up the puddles since it needed to be sanitized and cleaned up. Things like this are the very reason I makes special table toy bins that are only used in emergency situations. Children are "put up" with these when I have no choice but to clean up.
Blackcat31 06:35 AM 10-09-2013
Originally Posted by Sunshine75:
I think it just depends on your state too and their policies. For instance, in MN, you have to monitor and be in the room with them during nap/down time. That makes it hard to get to anything during your day. I actually purchased some toy vacuums though and now when I vacuum the kids pretend they are vacuuming as well!
Is this a county rule? It isn't a state rule so I am just curious.

MN state rules say you must be within sight OR sound of the children (and AVAILABLE for the school agers.)

You do NOT have to be in the same room with the kids while they are napping. Including infants.

Infants however, are not suppose to be behind a closed door and you need to check on them physically every 15 (?) minutes but you don't have to be physically in the same room.
Sunshine75 07:22 AM 10-09-2013
Hmm...maybe it is a county thing then. I just know a friend of mine who has pre-k has to be in the room with them during down time and she is in my same county.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 09:59 AM 10-09-2013
In Ohio it states that you may not do any cleaning when the children are present other than routine pick up and straightening I don't have the exact wording but basically, you can't be cleaning your house when children are present but may clean up their messes (ie sweep, do dishes etc)

Oh in answer to the question- I try to stay "caught up" all day. So after breakfast when they are still playing nicely with one another, I catch up dishes and prep lunch, they pick up before walk and again before lunch, while they eat afternoon snack I try to catch up dishes again. They always pick up toys so I run the sweeper after they are picked up or in the morning before they arrive. Sweep and mop kitchen, when I get a chance (after breakfast or after hours). We only use part of my house for childcare. I find it all of the other cleaning in the rest of my house is hard to keep up with Nap times, schoolwork with ds
Tags:organizing
Reply Up