Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Ideas Or Suggestions
sahm1225 08:11 AM 09-14-2017
I have a dcb who will be 3 next week and has been with me for a year. Dcb has very limited vocabulary and ive recommended he be evaluated for speech and overall development. I think parents are in denial of how delayed he is. His speech, when he decides to try to talk, is hard to understand and very monotone or in a total whine. He repeats himself over and over and 75% of the time it's just sounds, no actually words.

He cannot follow directions. We have a routine for the day and unless I go to him and grab his hand, he will not go to the next task. For example, every morning, we play, we read books, we clean up, then wash our hands and go for breakfast. It's the exact same thing every day. I have infants who know when the kitchen door is opened, that it means to crawl to the bathroom to wash their hands. I will say his name to remind him to wash his hands or go get breakfast and he just doesn't listen.

Im really concerned there's either a hearing issue or comprehension issue. The parents are not concerned at all!!! I have a dd5 that has special needs and I don't know if that's why I'm pushing an evaluation so much (because I saw how much she improved the second we had early intervention). But I worry about this kid. He is not a typical 3 year old or even 2 year old. If I didn't know him, based on his behaviors i would guess very early 2s or even 18 months.

Are there any tips to help him? Besides pushing for an evaluation (which according to parents. Doctor says he is totally normal developing)? Anything to help him follow the flow of the Day? Do I let him just be without reminders or tapping him to pay attention?
Ariana 10:09 AM 09-14-2017
It really depends on you and how much you want to invest in a special needs child who needs to be identified. I am always worried I will do something wrong or have innapropriate expectations since I am not a professional in this field. I had one child whose mom was in denial and I stressed myself out over trying to be an advocate and to help this child. In the end I had to terminate care as it was too much to handle without any direction from anyone!
daycarediva 10:28 AM 09-14-2017
Pediatricians see a child for a total of 15 minutes annually at that age, seriously.

Yep, he's growing. That means he's fine, right?

I started doing evals using the ages & stages, and sending parents one home to complete. Then we conference and go over answers together. It's not ME showing them the delay, it's the forms (which show developmentally appropriate milestones) Maybe that's an option for you? Let parents know ahead of time, even send them home for each child so that they don't feel singled out.
Unregistered 03:16 PM 09-22-2017
What state are you in? Many states require children in care to have vision and hearing screenings once they turn 3, that would at least help you to determine if hearing is the issue.

Do you have a daily picture schedule in your center? Those are also incredibly helpful for children that need help with routines.
flying_babyb 06:42 PM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:

I started doing evals using the ages & stages, and sending parents one home to complete. Then we conference and go over answers together. It's not ME showing them the delay, it's the forms (which show developmentally appropriate milestones) Maybe that's an option for you? Let parents know ahead of time, even send them home for each child so that they don't feel singled out.
I second this! I did this and caught a few early intervention moments.
sahm1225 12:19 PM 09-27-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Pediatricians see a child for a total of 15 minutes annually at that age, seriously.

Yep, he's growing. That means he's fine, right?

What website do you use to print out the Evals?
Tags:special needs policy
Reply Up