Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Drop Off Request Vent
TheGoodLife 07:05 AM 09-24-2014
DCD drops off (he's a teacher and works across the street from me) Asks if he can send a toothbrush for DCB 17 months. I am caught off-guard but say "well, parents usually do that at home. Did he need it after he eats breakfast?"

DCD: "No, I just always forget and he has stinky breath."

Umm, no! Why do you think it's OK to ask your provider to make up for something you need to do at home?! I have 3 of my own kids under 5, and 3 1 year old daycare kids here. Ugh! I'm license exempt but I made up a reason that licensing required specific storage and I don't have it (He probably doesn't even know I'm not licensed! But I tell my families I follow license regulations for the most part even though I'm not licensed.)

I'm so going to mention it to DCM when she picks up today- I bet she doesn't even know he asked me that. I know it's not much compared to a lot I've ready here, but it's still frustrating! They're also expecting their next in March, so that'll be a huge wake up if he can't handle brushing his only son's teeth!
Blackcat31 07:13 AM 09-24-2014
Originally Posted by TheGoodLife:
DCD drops off (he's a teacher and works across the street from me) Asks if he can send a toothbrush for DCB 17 months. I am caught off-guard but say "well, parents usually do that at home. Did he need it after he eats breakfast?"

DCD: "No, I just always forget and he has stinky breath."

Umm, no! Why do you think it's OK to ask your provider to make up for something you need to do at home?! I have 3 of my own kids under 5, and 3 1 year old daycare kids here. Ugh! I'm license exempt but I made up a reason that licensing required specific storage and I don't have it (He probably doesn't even know I'm not licensed! But I tell my families I follow license regulations for the most part even though I'm not licensed.)

I'm so going to mention it to DCM when she picks up today- I bet she doesn't even know he asked me that. I know it's not much compared to a lot I've ready here, but it's still frustrating! They're also expecting their next in March, so that'll be a huge wake up if he can't handle brushing his only son's teeth!
I have a DCD that brings his child in and he always hands me the child's socks and a barrette. Sometimes the bottoms or pants that go with an outfit....depending on the difficulty level of actually putting these items on his child.

I always just toss the stuff in the child's cubby but I mentioned it to DCM at pick up that DCD does this and she said he probably just doesn't know how to do those things.

Which I totally get as a new parent buuuut, I just nicely told her that he better get some practice in then because I certainly wasn't doing it. I told her I just put whatever he gives me in the child's basket and it stays there until pick up.

NOT all dads, but some are VERY skilled at playing incompetent so that someone else will feel sorry/bad and pick up the slack for them.

Nice try DCD!
AmyKidsCo 08:41 AM 09-24-2014
I once had a parent ask if I could give her 3 yr old a bath because she didn't have time the night before.

I'm not against tooth brushing though, and if I could figure out how to store the toothbrushes and find time to do it I'd add it to our routine.
TheGoodLife 09:18 AM 09-24-2014
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I once had a parent ask if I could give her 3 yr old a bath because she didn't have time the night before.

I'm not against tooth brushing though, and if I could figure out how to store the toothbrushes and find time to do it I'd add it to our routine.
This is my sicky that is always covered in drool and snot, so I don't feel like dealing with any more body fluids than I already do (I have been wiping his chin and nose at least 1-3 times every five minutes)! Plus, he cries all the time if you look at him and he isn't in "the mood" so I don't want to deal with trying to take care of his dental health on top of that!
SSWonders 10:58 AM 09-24-2014
We HAVE to do toothbrushing with kids in Massachusetts according to our regulations or have them sign a form that they don't want their kids doing so while in care. I won't tell you what I think of that regulation. And I love this one. We are supposed to wipe down the gums of infants with a gauze after we give them a bottle.
melilley 11:11 AM 09-24-2014
I do teeth brushing after lunch to satisfy a requirement for our stars program, but I really don't mind doing it. The kids eat lunch and then we all go in the bathroom and brush, they love doing it!

When I started this and told parents, one of my dcm's (always the same one ) told me "oh good, I always forget" L.A.Z.Y!
daycarediva 11:16 AM 09-24-2014
I voluntarily brush teeth after meals here- breakfast and lunch. I purchase and keep each child's toothbrush and toothpaste in a cup. It's very cheap and honestly necessary. Parents do NOT do this anymore. I have seen more bottle rot in the last 5 years. L A Z Y and disgusting!

One child is a dental hygenists daughter. You know the saying...if you can't say anything nice....
melilley 11:30 AM 09-24-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I voluntarily brush teeth after meals here- breakfast and lunch. I purchase and keep each child's toothbrush and toothpaste in a cup. It's very cheap and honestly necessary. Parents do NOT do this anymore. I have seen more bottle rot in the last 5 years. L A Z Y and disgusting!

One child is a dental hygenists daughter. You know the saying...if you can't say anything nice....
Do you ever notice that it's always the kids of a parent who has a certain profession that lack common sense of what ever the profession is. I always see someone comment on a teacher's child saying "and dcm is a teacher" or whatever the profession.

For example, it's always the teacher's child who does not know or do (what ever it may be) or in your case, mom is a hygienist and child has gross teeth.

You would think they would learn or know what's more of what's right or wrong since they are in the profession! But like you said, it's just pure laziness. Why would people knowingly do things like this?

Sorry going off on a tangent...lol
daycarediva 11:37 AM 09-24-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
Do you ever notice that it's always the kids of a parent who has a certain profession that lack common sense of what ever the profession is. I always see someone comment on a teacher's child saying "and dcm is a teacher" or whatever the profession.

For example, it's always the teacher's child who does not know or do (what ever it may be) or in your case, mom is a hygienist and child has gross teeth.

You would think they would learn or know what's more of what's right or wrong since they are in the profession! But like you said, it's just pure laziness. Why would people knowingly do things like this?

Oh no I agree!

Medical professionals are the LAST to bring child in to see the dr, typically only at my persistence. They're probably over confident that they know what it is, etc. Are also more prone to dope and drop and honestly, I've seen some over medicating. Eg nurse dcm gave contraindicated cough meds to 3yo.

I have a child psychologist dcp- gives child choices. WONDERFUL? NO. Child is 2. Choice is "what would you like for dinner?" Child says "I need..." and every whim is fulfilled. Child has zero self regulation because parent is always trying to make the child happy.

Now, my old fashioned farmer dcd has the most well rounded, well behaved child I've ever cared for. But all my above mentoned dcp's look down on him. His old truck, his dirty clothes. BUT he is a HUGE supplier of organic produce that the same dcps most likely consume. He is also quite wealthy, you'd never know it though. I only do because my dd babysits for them. HAHA!

Nutritionist and personal trainer? overweight child who is very unhealthy (lots of snacks and poor on the go food choices and LOTS of time in daycare/gym daycare and watching Mom train- ipad and screens.

So yep, I hear ya!
TaylorTots 11:45 AM 09-24-2014
Haha! This week my 17m DCG is here but DCD is home - he is starting a new job next week. Usually DCM takes care of drop offs and pick ups. In 3 days I have successfully trained DCD. DCG came today with weather appropriate clothing, fresh from a bath and her hair was even attempted to be put up out of her face (DCD was pretty ashamed that after 10 minutes trying o put a pony in he just gave up and tried a clippie. 5 minutes later, it was....kind of.... in her hair). I tried so hard not to giggle and just told him "Good job!" like I was praising a DCK
crazydaycarelady 12:03 PM 09-24-2014
Originally Posted by :
We are supposed to wipe down the gums of infants with a gauze after we give them a bottle.
I just have to laugh at the people who sit behind desks making up rules for daycare providers when they have NO CLUE the reality of taking care of 6 children.
melilley 12:08 PM 09-24-2014
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
I just have to laugh at the people who sit behind desks making up rules for daycare providers when they have NO CLUE the reality of taking care of 6 children.
They should be required to work as a childcare provider for at least a month before coming up with these rules!

I don't mind brushing their teeth, but I hate the fact that it's a requirement to gain a point for our stars program.
TheGoodLife 12:15 PM 09-24-2014
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
Just like the bureaucracy when I was a teacher. So many rules and regulations that are ridiculous, but come from people who just look at the "facts" and not the common-sense or realism of things.

And as for teachers' kids, I will say that, as a sub, I was amazed to see the behavior problems in the kids of my former coworkers who were still teachers at their child's school. My husband and I are known for having "the good kids" in his family and I always say it's hard work but we just can't slack off! I don't want to be "THAT" parent OK,really I don't want any of my kids to be "THAT" kid. I have a few times sent my kid to daycare (when I was working) w/o brushing their teeth- but not everyday and I'd surely never think to ask my provider to do my job for me.

OK, vent over- I said no and they said OK. (I did bring it up to mom and she just said OK, so I take it she knew DCD was asking about it.) Good luck with having 2 of them soon! This DCB is very babied at home (I believe) and is not going to adjust well/ easily to having a sibling so hopefully things will work out for him!
CraftyMom 05:06 PM 09-24-2014
Originally Posted by SSWonders:
We HAVE to do toothbrushing with kids in Massachusetts according to our regulations or have them sign a form that they don't want their kids doing so while in care. I won't tell you what I think of that regulation. And I love this one. We are supposed to wipe down the gums of infants with a gauze after we give them a bottle.
Wait, so are we among the only ones that are REQUIRED to do toothbrushing??

I kind of thought it was across the board I guess.

Yeah that is one reg that I wish I could tell them to shove.....

It's not difficult, just one more thing to do that PARENTS should be doing. The fact that the kids brush here gives most parents the go ahead to skip brushing at home because they will do it here anyway grrrrrrr.
Laurel 08:15 PM 09-24-2014
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:

I didn't do it when I did childcare but I have these for my visiting grandchildren.
http://www.ranir.com/us/our-products...hbrush-covers/

There were four in a package and I got them at the dollar store. Very nice and can't beat the price. Used a sharpie to add their name to it.

Laurel
Dilley Beans 03:54 PM 09-30-2014
Slightly off topic...has anyone thought to ask their dentist for toothbrushes and mini tubes of toothpaste for the kids? I bet your dentist would be willing to supply them and if you had extras you could send them home strategically to give a subtle hint to parents needing to increase hygiene for their kiddos.
CraftyMom 04:33 PM 09-30-2014
Originally Posted by Dilley Beans:
Slightly off topic...has anyone thought to ask their dentist for toothbrushes and mini tubes of toothpaste for the kids? I bet your dentist would be willing to supply them and if you had extras you could send them home strategically to give a subtle hint to parents needing to increase hygiene for their kiddos.
In February for children's dental hygiene week I called a couple of kids' dentists and asked for some samples for the kids. They were very generous and gave me cute little clear pouches with a toothbrush, toothpaste, those little flossers and stickers. They even gave me some baby toothbrushes and larger toothbrushes for my SA kids. It was great advertising for them and we got lots of goodies! Since I called 2 places, hoping one would say yes, I ended up with extras that I kept to stay here and the kids got to take home their pouch of goodies
SSWonders 05:46 AM 10-01-2014
I am lucky that I have had a dental hygienist as a client. She gets me toothbrushes whenever I need them. Cute ones too.
Blackcat31 05:55 AM 10-01-2014
My daycare has been part of the Colgate "Bright Smiles" campaign for several years now. Each year they send me toothbrushes with tubes of toothpaste for each child.

They must think I have a large center because I get a box with approx. 100 toothbrush/toothpaste sets each year.

I usually give each child one to leave here, one to bring home (some for any siblings they have) and I share with a couple other local providers too so everyone benefits.

I don't know if Colgate still does this or not but it might be worth looking into.

They have other classroom materials available too
http://www.colgate.com/app/BrightSmi.../Teachers.cvsp
craftymissbeth 06:04 AM 10-01-2014
Our health department sets out free adult and child sized toothbrushes and toothpastes. Our surveyor BEGS us to pick them up to at least hand out to our parents. We're not required to brush teeth here.
satcook 08:09 AM 10-01-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
Our health department sets out free adult and child sized toothbrushes and toothpastes. Our surveyor BEGS us to pick them up to at least hand out to our parents. We're not required to brush teeth here.
That is interesting that homes aren't required to brush teeth, because centers in Kansas are required to!

Lori
KIDZRMYBIZ 11:52 AM 10-01-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My daycare has been part of the Colgate "Bright Smiles" campaign for several years now. Each year they send me toothbrushes with tubes of toothpaste for each child.

They must think I have a large center because I get a box with approx. 100 toothbrush/toothpaste sets each year.

I usually give each child one to leave here, one to bring home (some for any siblings they have) and I share with a couple other local providers too so everyone benefits.

I don't know if Colgate still does this or not but it might be worth looking into.

They have other classroom materials available too
http://www.colgate.com/app/BrightSmi.../Teachers.cvsp
I don't think they will sign up new people anymore. I scoured the internet for it last year, and again just now, and you can't get to a request page. Total bummer.
Cradle2crayons 12:35 PM 10-01-2014
I signed up for it months ago but have yet to receive a thing. Is there a certain month they do it??
Hunni Bee 03:46 PM 10-01-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:

Always.

The hairstylists' kids hair was always gross and matted. The psychologists kid was needed a psychologist. The doctor's kid? Always green snot pouring from their nose.

Is some kind of phenomena? Nan should put a chapter on these parents in her book!
Tags:drop off issues
Reply Up