Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Taking Veteran's Day Off?
SuzanneL70 12:55 PM 11-08-2011
Just wondering how many of you take Veteran's Day off (this Friday). I didn't add that one into my contract but I'm wishing I had now. :-)
Country Kids 12:57 PM 11-08-2011
OH yes I am and very excited!!!! I started taking all Federal Holidays off because my husband works for he state in the courts and has them off as well as my children. I figure we can always have extra family time on those days!
Maddy'sMommy 01:13 PM 11-08-2011
I don't, my husband isn't off, so I figure I may as well work. Plus, not all my parents are federal workers, so they need me that day.

If my husband was off, I would consider it. I take all my holidays as unpaid anyways, so it's just a matter of giving the parents enough notice.
daycare 01:15 PM 11-08-2011
im off!! my first paid holiday off this year!!! Woot!!
Oneluckymom 01:17 PM 11-08-2011
I have that one scheduled off as paid. Though my husband is working.
CheekyChick 01:19 PM 11-08-2011
I take ALL federal holidays off paid. I can't WAIT for Friday.
awestbrook713 01:23 PM 11-08-2011
Not this year but I added it into my updated contract for next year.
Cat Herder 01:33 PM 11-08-2011
I only took the ones the School System took off.
CaliMom 02:10 PM 11-08-2011
I'm off and getting paid for it! All my families are teachers so they are off. Best part, so is my hubby!
snbauser 02:34 PM 11-08-2011
Closed. It is a school holiday too.
SuzanneL70 02:39 PM 11-08-2011
Well I feel so dumb now~ I am definitely adding Veteran's Day off into my contract for next year. I have Labor and Memorial days off so why not Veteran's? Maybe I'll get lucky and my families will keep their kids home on Friday.... here's hoping...
GrannyJ 02:59 PM 11-08-2011
I thought I had the day off! Looked in my phb and its not there!!! I am redoing my phb and I am going to add this day!
wdmmom 03:06 PM 11-08-2011
I'll be working. The kids will be in school. I don't take Federal holidays. All of my parents have to work so I do too!
jojosmommy 10:40 AM 11-09-2011
I take this day off. My husband is a vet and we do lots of special things for him on this special day. Occassionally my dc familes complain I have "too many" days off but they never even think about saying it around vets day. If they don't honor the service my husband (and the other millions of vets who have served) has offered they are at the wrong house- and they know that.
bgmeyers 10:43 AM 11-09-2011
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
I take this day off. My husband is a vet and we do lots of special things for him on this special day. Occassionally my dc familes complain I have "too many" days off but they never even think about saying it around vets day. If they don't honor the service my husband (and the other millions of vets who have served) has offered they are at the wrong house- and they know that.
I agree and this is a very special holiday. Thank you to your husband!
mismatchedsocks 10:44 AM 11-09-2011
Do not take off, schools are in session here anyway, and all of my parents but one work it. I hate to inconvenience that many families unless I had plans.
kimsdaycare 11:52 AM 11-09-2011
I'm off every year, it's one of those holidays that most businesses are open, so this year it's dentist day for me

Funny though, DH is a Veteran and couldn't figure out why *I* was off until I reminded him lol!
Country Kids 01:11 PM 11-09-2011
I'm very surprised that schools are in session on a Federal Holiday!!! Are town does a huge Veteran's day parade-2 hours long!!!! We have people from other counties enter into it even and the jet planes fly over and the whole bit.

I'm glad we have the day off to honor the men and women who fight for my freedom every day in one way or another.

Anyone who has a Veteran in their family or an active service person please thank them from Country Kids!
wdmmom 01:23 PM 11-09-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I'm very surprised that schools are in session on a Federal Holiday!!! Are town does a huge Veteran's day parade-2 hours long!!!! We have people from other counties enter into it even and the jet planes fly over and the whole bit.

I'm glad we have the day off to honor the men and women who fight for my freedom every day in one way or another.

Anyone who has a Veteran in their family or an active service person please thank them from Country Kids!
You're surprised school is in session?! The kids here go to school for Vets Day, Columbus Day, Lincolns Birthday, Washingtons Birthday, Martin Luther King day, etc. all of which are considered holidays.
Country Kids 01:41 PM 11-09-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
You're surprised school is in session?! The kids here go to school for Vets Day, Columbus Day, Lincolns Birthday, Washingtons Birthday, Martin Luther King day, etc. all of which are considered holidays.
Do they get out extra early in the year? I'm surprised that they don't have to pay the teachers like time in a half or anything since it is a holiday and the schools are government run. I've seriously never heard of schools being in session on federal holidays.
beachgrl 07:07 AM 11-10-2011
I am! I didn't have any holidays closed or contracts, but all that has changed this week! I'm off today and tomorrow just bc my dck won't both be ft until next week but now with contracts, I will get holidays and sick days, feel so much better having it in black and white and my families were perfectly ok with it!

I will be going with my hubby in the am to pick up his xbox game sky rim and run a cpl errands and then lunch and a midday drink with a teacher friend in town...can't wait!
2ndFamilyDC 08:04 AM 11-10-2011
No, I do not. But sure wish I did.
mommiesherie 09:37 AM 11-10-2011
I wish I did. I don't really take many days off and none are paid. I only keep 4 kids. 2 are out today because the baby is sick. They have been out 2 days this week so I will only get paid for 2 days. 2they are just monday through thursday. The other two I have 6 to 7 days a week. I don't charge a lot for the two I have all the time because the mom is doing the best she can and works constantly to just make it. Well come to think of it I don't charge a lot for the other two either. Lol. I don't really count on the money I make for child care for the bills. Its just extra money right now. I am happy with just the 4 kids. Anyways all that being said I probably won't take any time off for christmas. I will probably have the 2 on christmas. The mom will probably have to work. We have just adopted them into our family. She is a good mom but all alone with no dads in the kids lives and no parents of her own. I have kinda became her adopted mom.
TBird 08:52 PM 11-10-2011
I don't take it off but I'm considering it for next year.
Michelle 08:03 AM 11-11-2011
I actually have an older girl coming but the dad doesn't work today, he is just bringing her because I'm open and he wants to get his moneys worth.
Man, what I would give to have a whole day alone with just my dd!
MsMe 09:25 AM 11-11-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Kids here go on all of those days too....and good Friday
Tags:day off, holidays, paid holidays, veterans day
Reply Up