Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Potty Train?
cherryhill 02:05 PM 11-14-2011
All my kids are 2 they will all be turning 3 by March of next year. My daughter is newly potty trained she wouldn't poop on the potty but finally got over that. Should I be taking the kids to potty every 30-40 minutes or should they be telling me they have to potty. I feel like since my daughter is potty trained parents think there child should be also. One of my dcp brought her son in underwear today and didn't bother telling me, he had peed on himself within 30 minutes of getting here. I feel she is being lazy and wants to bring him in underwear so that I will be forced to take him potty every 30 minutes. This is not the first time he has come in underwear. I have had several conversations with her about this ,Stating that he does not tell me he has to go potty and when he does he has already peed on himself.
Should I be taking on more of a role in this? Do you guys?

Oh by the way we have been trying to train him on and off since January.
bice99 02:10 PM 11-14-2011
I got really strict on this one. I would love to potty train all of the kids like I did my own, but that is not going to happen in a daycare setting. I have a page long potty training handout. Basically I am the boss. I decide if the kids are in diapers, pull ups or underwear. Basically diapers until asking to use the bathroom on their own. How can I provide quality care to a group when I am constantly in the bathroom? The kids I have potty trained this way did great. We did it when they were totally ready and it was fast. 2 1/2 year old girl started pull ups in April. Had 2 accidents total by June and was in panties by July. She didn't like to poop in the potty until last month, but she would just hold it. Never had poop accidents or she still would have been in pull ups. She just turned 3 and takes herself to the bathroom. All I have to do is turn on and off the sink because even with my stool she's too little.
nannyde 02:30 PM 11-14-2011
Check for a diaper at arrival. Put him in one right when he gets there. Put him on the kiddy potty at each diaper change. Other than that... do nothing.

https://www.daycare.com/nannyde/pott...to-parents.htm
AnneCordelia 02:38 PM 11-14-2011
I require that children stay in diapers until they can independantly, verbally communicate a need to use the bathroom to me. Then, they must be in pull-ups until they have been completely accident free for 2 weeks.
Ariana 02:45 PM 11-14-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Check for a diaper at arrival. Put him in one right when he gets there. Put him on the kiddy potty at each diaper change. Other than that... do nothing.
I agree! My 2 year old is showing an interest in the potty but that's it! She's not physically able to hold it (consistantly all the time) until she gets to the potty and MOST kids aren't ready until closer to 3 years old. It's a physiological maturity that has to happen. There are kids who get trained ealier absolutely but I can 100% guarantee that they're being taken to the toilet 100 times a day!! I've potty trained many kids. We usually start at 2.5 and have a routine of taking them to the potty every 45 minutes if they haven't asked to go.

It's extremely important that parents and caregiver are doing the same thing. They have to do the bulk of the potty training and you follow their lead. A lot of parents expect you to do it for them. Not how it works!
godiva83 02:51 PM 11-14-2011
I require the potty training process to start at home- they need to do it over a weeks Holiday or something similar. I dislike pull ups as IMO I think it is just an unneeded extra step.

The child needs to be able to communicate the need to go verbally and also they have to physically pull pants down.
Accidents happen, just part of the process
E Daycare 03:22 PM 11-14-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:

https://www.daycare.com/nannyde/pott...to-parents.htm
Very useful! I especially love the use of the word "doinking". Makes me lol
Tags:potty training, potty training advice
Reply Up