Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would you mention this story to mom?
newtodaycare22 10:08 AM 08-13-2012
New dcg (2nd day) tells everyone at breakfast that mom killed daddy with a knife and he's dead. She said it nonchalant and the rest of the kids jaws dropped. I told her that's not funny to joke and her daddy is very much alive (which is true, and the parents are happily married...).

Would you mention it to mom? We all know kids tell crazy stories. But I feel like I may want to know if that was the story my kid was telling!
SilverSabre25 10:10 AM 08-13-2012
I think I probably would mention it...see mom's reaction, watch for other odd stories. It's probably innocent but it makes you wonder.
newtodaycare22 10:11 AM 08-13-2012
She's 3. I totally dont suspect and problems at home. I don't want mom to think I'm accusing her if I mention the story, because I'm really not.
Crazy8 10:16 AM 08-13-2012
I would mention it. That is a little disturbing that a 3 year old even knows of that kind of violence.

I often joke with my parents saying I will believe half of what they tell me happens at home if you only believe half of what they say happens here so I know kids make up stories all the time but this one sounds a little worrisome to me.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:41 AM 08-13-2012
I would because it may mean that she has seen something on tv that mom may be unaware of.

I once had a 3 yr old very upset because Dad was going to kill his mom. They were (still are) happily married.. 6 kidlets I called mom thinking maybe should would know.... she thought and said oh! when I backed over something as we were leaving I said your dad is going to kill me! M must have taken me serious!

There may be a funny story behind it or she saw something....
Angelsj 11:58 AM 08-13-2012
I had a 4yo boy tell me every morning that his Dad was in jail. Every evening Dad picked the kids up...

Who knows what they think?
Heidi 12:22 PM 08-13-2012
I'd tell her, but in a sort of kidding way.

I had a 3 year old tell me that mommy hit daddy and broke his nose.

I knew it might be a stretch of something else, so I called mom. "Uh...E...I hear you're struggling with anger management these days".

E starts laughing right away. She KNEW I'd be asking...

Apparently, daddy hit his face in with a wrench in the tool shed, and got a black eye. When the kids asked what happened, he said mommy punched him

funny guy....
Springdaze 12:24 PM 08-13-2012
I would say something because I have had parents that if the kid said it at home would come back and ask me where they got that from. If you tell the parent, they know it didnt come from your house.
DCBlessings27 12:45 PM 08-13-2012
I would likely mention it to the mom. This is one of my husband's fears. He asked me to stop saying that I was dying (something I've been saying due to the bad heartburn with this pregnancy). He's afraid dd (3) will take it the wrong way or repeat that Mommy is dying.
nanglgrl 09:50 PM 08-13-2012
Definitely say something but in a joking way (If you can include a personal story from one of your own children). Like other posters said it will let mom know that it was said to you about her so she doesn't think it came from your house and it never hurts to let the parents know that kids say things at that age that are goofy just in case the child goes home and tells a story about you. That said, I was walking down the stairs at the same time my 3 year old was walking up the stairs. I tripped and kinda fell into her, she lost her footing and went forward on her knee. Dad came home and she told him that I pushed her down the stairs. LOL!
daycarediva 10:03 AM 08-14-2012
Im sure that there is some explanation!

When I dropped my dd off to volunteer at the animal shelter, ds climbed in a cage. The worker said oh no, now we have to keep you! He's 4 and thought she was serious. He started bawling and won't EVER go inside the place again (although he loved it previously) He then started telling everyone that the animal shelter tried to put him in a cage to kill him. (KILL HIM!?) it took some finangling to figure it out, but he watched Beethoven at grandma's house.
Reply Up