Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Art Area Carpet Protection?
TheGoodLife 09:36 PM 07-31-2013
I want to allow more painting, any cheap or DIY ideas to protect carpets? Or how to make area rugs easier to clean up, if even possible
Rachel 02:45 AM 08-01-2013
I use cut to size plastic tablecloths. Here they sell them on big rolls, I imagine they have similar in the states. They are plastic. The new ones for tables and when they start getting icky or ripped they get downgraded to the art cloth.
coolconfidentme 02:59 AM 08-01-2013
Go to Walmart or Target & get a thin plastic tarp (in the paint) section for the floor. Very in expensive, under $10.
Familycare71 05:14 AM 08-01-2013
I use a plastic table cloth... Works perfect- durable and lasts a while but inexpensive enough to throw away when needed
hoopinglady 05:51 AM 08-01-2013
I have hardwood floors and take the easel outside as soon as the weather is nice.

For inside, I like to use tempra cakes as an option. They are nice and bright and allow them to paint inside but much less messy...more like watercolors.
Crystal 12:30 PM 08-01-2013
Clear shower curtain, use colorful or printed duck tape to place a border on it and secure it to the carpet. Then you can just wipe it off when they are done and leave it.
Blackcat31 12:32 PM 08-01-2013
My easel sits inside a plastic blow up pool. I've been known to put the entire table/chairs inside the plastic pool too if I have a lot of painters.

I've used the shower curtain too...also works great!
WImom 01:04 PM 08-01-2013
Shower Curtain works great. Doesn't cost too much either.
Lyss 01:20 PM 08-01-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Clear shower curtain, use colorful or printed duck tape to place a border on it and secure it to the carpet. Then you can just wipe it off when they are done and leave it.
This is what I do

I previously used a area rug from goodwill but it just got more and more colorful and looked like a hot mess It drove me crazy so I got shower curtains from the dollar tree
craftymissbeth 02:23 PM 08-01-2013
Those of you who use shower curtains or tarps do you leave them down in you art area all the time and then replac when needed? Or do you clean it up and put it away when they're done using it?
mema 02:40 PM 08-01-2013
I use a shower curtain or I also have some plastic table cloths from when my kids use to have birthday partys. I pick it up when we're done.
Crystal 03:28 PM 08-01-2013
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
Those of you who use shower curtains or tarps do you leave them down in you art area all the time and then replac when needed? Or do you clean it up and put it away when they're done using it?
I would leave it down, secured with duck tape. It is very easy to wipe up paint. I don't have one now because I have tile floors, but it is def. the way I would go if I had carpet.
craftymissbeth 03:45 PM 08-01-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:
I would leave it down, secured with duck tape. It is very easy to wipe up paint. I don't have one now because I have tile floors, but it is def. the way I would go if I had carpet.
Oh I see now that duct tape was mentioned up above, too. Oops!
Reply Up